Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hand wash my Challenger using the showcar washing technique and avoid automatic car wash garages.

Some owners think that touchless car washes are as safe as hand washing. Not true. See this information video of the results of a touchless car wash:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I NEVER EVER use a touchless car wash! That stuff is like acid!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Amen on the acid. I hand washed my daily driver (Saturn) for 13 years then last winter got lazy and took it to a touchless 6 times. You could see the damage this caused. All non-clearcoat paint had the gloss destroyed. I learned my lesson.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
I use the touchless in the winter months only. Don't had dry it just let the blower blow off what it can and go. I have never noticed any damage. I get my car detailed once a year in May after the threat of winter is gone.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use the touchless in winter as well but only to keep the big chunks washed off and never, as the video explains, toweling it down afterwords. As for like "acid", well in my experience it does no harm to a well kept finish. Normally the chemicals used do not even remove road film from the surface so I doubt it is degrading the paint. The damage from touchless washes comes from the owner thinking the finish is clean now and then towel drying, touching, the car. If I'm about to touch the finish it is hand washed first and then towel dried.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use the touch-less if I don't feel like hand washing. My car doesn't get filthy and gets washed one or twice a month. I don't drive it in rain and when I'm done I always use quick detailer to clean it up. I wipe the wheels inside and out when I'm done as well. I haven't noticed any paint damage. I wouldn't recommend touch-less for those that drive in rain or snow.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That video was really helpful. Havent had a nice car so Ill be using his washing methods with my challenger. Do most ppl think that taking it to a place like an Aqua Car Wash where they clean it out, send it though the runner (gets soaped and sprayed and all that), then hand dryed is bad? Just curious

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
That video was really helpful. Havent had a nice car so Ill be using his washing methods with my challenger. Do most ppl think that taking it to a place like an Aqua Car Wash where they clean it out, send it though the runner (gets soaped and sprayed and all that), then hand dryed is bad? Just curious
....depends on your definition of "bad". The majority of car owners don't seem to have a problem using these types of washes. As for me, let's just say I'm not like the majority of car owners.

....yes, I think most of them are "bad" (IMO/IME) in regard to their typical techniques, products and tools they use. A lot of folks are just looking for a clean car as a result and either don't realize how scratches/damage can be incurred by using these types of services and/or they simply don’t care. There is no right or wrong answer since it depends on individual perspective.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
so you have a dirty car. you hose it off real well and get as much loose dirt and dust off as you can. Then you take a soft cleaning cloth or sheep skin, get it all soapy and wet and GLIDE IT OVER THE REMAINING DIRT AND DUST.....

Seems like that will scratch your car as well

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
so you have a dirty car. you hose it off real well and get as much loose dirt and dust off as you can. Then you take a soft cleaning cloth or sheep skin, get it all soapy and wet and GLIDE IT OVER THE REMAINING DIRT AND DUST.....

Seems like that will scratch your car as well
....it really boils down to what your goals are and how serious you are about mitigating the risks of inducing scratches/damage. Even with the “bucket & hose” routine you mentioned there are a multitude of factors to consider that can provide varying results. Your wash media, the characteristics of your soap, drying medium/method, washing aids you use (i.e. Grit Guards, 2 buckets vs. 1, etc.), the frequency of your regimen, the condition of your finish, the characteristics of the wax/sealant you use, technique (a major factor), hardness of paint, etc., etc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I normally agree with Junkman but all I can say about this one is that is a extreme generalization. Saying one touchless wash is like every other is like saying chuck steak is the same as filet mignon. There are alot of factors that go into a touchless wash. Some washes are maintained and some are not. I operate several washes and agree that no touchless wash will get your car clean every single time. But I can say from 20 years experience that a touchless wash properly maintained and operated will get a car clean over 95% of the time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If your going the hand wash way,four simple tips that work for me
concerning your wash mitt
1} use a grit guard in your soap pail this way when you dunk back your wash mitt into the soap pail its not sitting into the grit at the bottom of the pail
2} rinse your mitt out often with the hose
3}use a different mitt for your rims and vinyl rocker panels
hope this helps,theres probaly at least a dozen other tips
untop of these three,
4}cold beer,and good tunes make it much more a labour of love rather than just plain labour :guiness:cheers !

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
2} rinse your mitt out often with the hose
....or use a second bucket filled with water and another Grit Guard and dunk your wash media in that prior to re-introducing it into the soap solution. Using something that releases contamination/debris easily will also go a long way to help minimize scratches.

I would also never wash the wheels first with the same soapy water that you will be using for the rest of the car. Either use a fresh solution or do them at the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts