Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else out there has contemplated doing this, but the first time my car died at Road Atlanta, and I had to wait for the flat bed, was the last time. Problem would have been solved with a tow hook. Either way, here are the install pictures. Tow Hook comes from ZL1addons.com

Once installed, removal is easy and only the keen observer would notice any difference in the lower grill.

Had my little helper with me too!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
Awww, cute :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. They also make a license plate bracket.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Yes, they do! Although, here in Michigan, no front plate is required.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
Do you have any pictures of what it's attached to underneath?

Awesome little helper. Enjoy every day!

I'd love to have my helpers that little once again but they are all grown up now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't understand. Do we have a tow hook female where this screws into and then that stick can adapt to either hook or license plate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am also curious where it attaches to? Also, what caused the car to die?
It's a female receiver that gets bolted onto the bottom of the crash bar. The Tow Hook has the male bolt that goes into the receiver. They also make a license plate bracket.

The car died due to a malfunctioning fuel supply. I.E., the driver failed to supply enough fuel to the vehicle. :wink:

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
I don't understand. Do we have a tow hook female where this screws into and then that stick can adapt to either hook or license plate?

Yes. The female will stay behind the grille where you can either attach a tow hook or the license plate bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yes. The female will stay behind the grille where you can either attach a tow hook or the license plate bracket.

Hmm, interesting. I was looking for a place for my license plate and this could solve it. I didn't want holes when I receive my '17

I've never seen one in my' 14 but probably because of the grill. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The receiver is not there from the factory. I took lots apart to be able to install it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Slidd: I was looking at that set up, but isn't it like $139? I wonder if it is worth it.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Slidd: I was looking at that set up, but isn't it like $139? I wonder if it is worth it.
Yeah not cheap but pretty slick. Skene design also has a bracket that you drill the underside of bumper in grill opening, still gotta drill but way less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Slidd: I have the Skene Design bracket, but there is not enough room, nor structure, underneath to attach it. I ended up securing it right to my front spoiler.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've just ordered the front and rear kit from ZL1Addons

I saw a picture of the license plate holder on the site, but I couldn't find it listed to buy - has anyone bought one from there to go with the towing eye kit?

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I've just ordered the front and rear kit from ZL1Addons

I saw a picture of the license plate holder on the site, but I couldn't find it listed to buy - has anyone bought one from there to go with the towing eye kit?
I emailed them today, they said they are making a new batch of them. Then we'll be able to buy them. No ETA, other than in a few days.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
The receiver is not there from the factory. I took lots apart to be able to install it.
How do you remove the center grille piece? There's 4 or so bolts at the top, which I removed, but when I pried that back, I could not see how to unbolt the bottom. There's 2 metal brackets that go from top to bottom, but I could not see any fasteners, they were blocking my view. Any help is appreciated!

I'm going to replace my spoiler and add the ZL1 License plate holder at the same time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you remove the center grille piece? There's 4 or so bolts at the top, which I removed, but when I pried that back, I could not see how to unbolt the bottom. There's 2 metal brackets that go from top to bottom, but I could not see any fasteners, they were blocking my view. Any help is appreciated!

I'm going to replace my spoiler and add the ZL1 License plate holder at the same time.
I removed the engine service cover (thing you remove for oil changes) which was 4 bolts. Once that is off you can remove the underbody tray to the front bumper which has the brake cooling ducts attached to it. That came off with 6-8 screws and 10-12 push-pin style plastic fasteners. See attached images. Once those were out of the way, there are another 4 screws holding the grille on from the bottom. I had to use a 90 degree adapter to get them out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
20 Participants
hemi1031
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing