Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the package and how it is mounted as well as what it looks like once installed?

I see it is available through Chrysler but not too many details or pics. Is it similar to one that could be installed on a 300?:icon_confused:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If I am not mistaken they say it is not recommended to tow anything with this svehilce. Maybe I read that in my Charger manual also have to go look. I think the manual is generic in the sense that it shows that same PIC in all car manuals.

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
The manual states that the maximum towing capacity is 1,000 pounds and 100 pound tongue weight. That would limit you to the pop-up trailer type in most cases.

It also states that the hitch should be class 1 (2,000 pound capacity). In addition, it is not recommended to tow with the manual transmission (I've towed bigger trailers with manuals and never had a problem).

I believe the Mopar trailer harness connects into the vehicle harness without any splicing, but I don't know for sure. I would guess that attaching the hitch would require some cutting of the rear fascia, but I don't know that for sure either.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Correct, it is NOT recommended at all in the Manual Transmission. Most likely it'll come down from behind the rear bumper so there wouldn't be any cutting or anything. I still do not recommend it even if you have the Automatic. This car was simply not designed to pull anything but it's own fat a$$. hahaha

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As strange as it sounds, I don't really want to tow anything. I think it may look cool to some aesthetic extent.

I have an all original 70 Barracuda in my neighborhood with a factory installed tow package and the look is all there.

I certainly DO NOT want to cut anything to have it installed. I still wonder what it would look like on the car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did anyone ever install the hitch receiver? I'm starting to get back into mountain biking & need to get a bike carrier. Was thinking the hitch receiver bike carriers would be a better option than the strap-on trunk lid style (don't want to dent/scuff the trunk lid & spoiler)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Owners manual says towing is not recommended. It is a one sentence statement:)
I believe that this statement is in the SRT manual, but not in the RT or SE manual. Could be wrong about that, but that's how I remember it.

Cliff

·
Registered
812 Posts
Did anyone ever install the hitch receiver? I'm starting to get back into mountain biking & need to get a bike carrier. Was thinking the hitch receiver bike carriers would be a better option than the strap-on trunk lid style (don't want to dent/scuff the trunk lid & spoiler)

You could get a roof mount rack. They're completely removable and don't damage or alter the car in any way. I had a Yakima roof rack on my Avenger and it worked great! Besides, the trunk mount racks tend to bend the trunk lid. I'm about to break out the Gary Fisher for the Summer and I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably just get a roof rack for my wifes Echo and suck it up and drive it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I believe that this statement is in the SRT manual, but not in the RT or SE manual. Could be wrong about that, but that's how I remember it.

Cliff
Right, page 278 SRT manual. The key word is (NOT) recommended, guess its tow at your risk, as for me, I would not want any trailer of any kind behind me at 90:) It also does (NOT) recommend towing this Bad A$$ car behind a RV:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the haters that talk about not towing with a challenger!!! But insist on track testing and beating the shit out of them on the streets...i have this to say!!! I had my class 3 hitch installed by uhaul and although the quick connect wire harness i ordered did not come in time i had them splice into my wiring..and it cost 5 bucks to have it covered for life in case of problems!! Also pulled a 6x12 double axle uhaul a total from my driveway in michigan to the place i returned it in summerfield florida..34491 i traveled 1,182 miles...got 13 mpg at cruise on 65 mph..the car did great in everyway handled just fine. .i have 122 thousand miles on my 2012 rt with auto trans..car never hesitated in any way except when going thru monteagle it would down shift a gear climbing the hills..nothing used on the trip except for fuel..oil and coolant still full!!!
20200110_130503_Burst01.jpg
20200110_130509.jpg
20200106_055839.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Also there is no drilling required of any kind and nothing gets touched on the car!! Holes are predrilled from the factory...at least on my 2012 rt

·
Registered
745 Posts
Starting a petition to make this the forum homepage picture
Let me know, I will sign. Never will we underestimate our Challengers again, this is big news!! I never thought I could tow things with my 50K sports car! Woo!!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
Put 4 of me in a Challenger and you have more than tongue weight to worry about. As I suspect many others out there. I see absolutely nothing wrong with towing a reasonable sized and weight trailer. And the SRT/Scats would handle it better, less sway, better brakes, better tires, better cooling... Just be reasonable in what and how you tow, but Dodge can't hope for that with all the dolts out there so they don't recommend it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts