Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Put 4 of me in a Challenger and you have more than tongue weight to worry about. As I suspect many others out there. I see absolutely nothing wrong with towing a reasonable sized and weight trailer. And the SRT/Scats would handle it better, less sway, better brakes, better tires, better cooling... Just be reasonable in what and how you tow, but Dodge can't hope for that with all the dolts out there so they don't recommend it.
Does that mean my setup is a no go? I figured I had the torque for at least 3...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts
2019 Company line, nothing above R/T recommended (Used to be just the SXT that had the recommended rating)

A Guy

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a hitch when I bought my Challenger in the US and shipped it back to the UK. When I came to install it, I wasn't too impressed with the method of mounting - uses one existing captive nut in the rear "chassis" legs, and three flat nut plates you have to slide inside the "chassis".

My UK spec Alfa Romeo 159 uses a very similar hitch, but uses spacers tubes inserted through holes in the top surface of the chassis ie the boot (sorry, "trunk") floor, with a thick spreader plate on top. I used the same method on the Challenger - cut some 3/4" holes through the upper surface above the existing mounting holes in the underside, drilled through the captive nut, dropped some suitably cut spacers into the chassis legs, and secured the hitch with longer bolts withe spreader plates on top. This way it uses both sides of the chassis leg and adds strength.

I say "suitably cut" spacers as the top surface of the chassis legs in the trunk slopes (from memory, 5 degrees) and of course, the spacer over the captive nut need cutting shorter.

So I'm happy to hang my car transporter trailer on the back - it tows very well behind my manual Challenger.

UK trailer connections are a little more thought out than the USA ones, with a permanent socket on the rear of the car, very easy to connect in as I had already had to modify the rear lights to incorporate separate amber turn signals and rear fog lamps.

The rest of the Lotus Elan on the trailer was inside the Challenger - those fold down seats are useful!

With it having the Track Pack options, the hitch does occasionally ground out, and as my form of motorosport is car trialling, it has sometimes been a little interesting getting in and out of narrow field gates, sometimes from narrow single lane roads, onto grass, or mud, fields. Having wheelspin on flat wet grass at tickover when trying to get moving is interesting! The Alfa is AWD, so doesn't suffer so much ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
Plum Crazy 2019 SXT AWD
35 Posts
I told my husband I need a tow hitch to pull his open trailer with my Girl Scout troop in it in our town Christmas parade.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts