Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have any tips or suggestions? Im going down to west palm beach for new years with a bunch of guys from highschool, but my parents wont let me drive the challenger down there, they dont want me to put the miles on it or expose it to that kind of trip (no changing that opinion). But to me. West palm beach and the challenger to cruise in go hand in hand. Not some soccor mom suv. So they will let me tow it using one of our enclosed trailers we use to tow our show cars. My tow vehicle is my yukon xl with a 5.3 liter engine, rated at about 9000 pounds. Im only at about 5500-6000 pounds loaded. So the truck should handle it. But any tips as far as towing such a long distance. Its me, 3 other guys. All our crap, and the challenger+trailer on the back. I have a trailer brake controller, anti sway tow hitch. Any thing else that would make the trip easier? Thanks guys. As much as I would love to just drive the challenger, that aint happening.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Sounds like you(your parents) have a few coins. I would ship the car and fly down. Get an extra day on each end of the trip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are alot of cherished memories made with the cars we own....but in this case consider renting a Challenger when you get there. Call ahead of time to secure one. May save you alot of time and aggravation...just a thought:thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are alot of cherished memories made with the cars we own....but in this case consider renting a Challenger when you get there. Call ahead of time to secure one. May save you alot of time and aggravation...just a thought:thumbsup:
unfortunately if he has to ask his parents then more than likely he isnt old enough to rent a car.

if you really want it down there from what you have posted it sounds like
you are all set except you didnt mention driving experience with a trailer.
if you have that then i dont see where you need anything else, if you dont have the experience then take it really easy and dont exceed 55-65 mph

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Be very carefull going down hill, any body with a big right boot can go up. Rule of thumb is go down hill 10-15 mph slower than you went up. A bumper puller trailer can get very crazy going down hill at high speed, I have seen many pilled up at the bottom of long grades aout here in the west. The Yukon is OK sorta for towing It's not ideal but will work if your carefull. Don't let your speed start building going down hills!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You have very generous parents because I wouldn't even let my kids tow my Chally to use on a kids-only vacation. My 2 cents....take the Yukon and be happy that you're going at all.

You're obviously not experienced towing or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Based on that, I just don't think it's a good idea......too many bad things can happen.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I can't believe any parents allowing their high school age kid take their car on a trip like that. Let's see. Recalling my high school days.... Parents are in Europe, kid allow to drive the car around town, can't put over 2k miles on the car or parents will suspect something fishy, let's tow it down, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They'll never know." And how many miles will you put on it in West Palm Beach?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can't believe any parents allowing their high school age kid take their car on a trip like that. Let's see. Recalling my high school days.... Parents are in Europe, kid allow to drive the car around town, can't put over 2k miles on the car or parents will suspect something fishy, let's tow it down, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They'll never know." And how many miles will you put on it in West Palm Beach?
LOL.....could be!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
You might want to look at the payload for your xl. I went to the Yukon site, and if you have a 2wd, it's about 1560lbs. In this, you have to include the weight of you and your friends, all their crap (unless you put it all in the trailer), plus the tongue weight of the trailer.

The trailer probably weighs at least 3000lbs, the car at least 4200lbs, which totals 7200lbs. Tongue should be 10-15%, so that could be between 720 and 1050lbs. If 4 people are going, and if they are "portly", their weight will be approaching 800lbs. Using the 10% rule, you will be very lucky to not exceed your payload rating. UNLESS, you have a 4wd --- then forget everything I said after hello.

I'm just talking about vehicle ratings, and not whether it can be done safely or not.

Slow down and be safe. You don't want this happening:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, do you have any experience towing something like this? If not, I wouldn't want my first experience to be with my car....

Also, they're considering allowing you to do this, which for the inexperienced, can be very dangerous vs. letting you drive the car a couple of thousand miles more than likely over a couple of days?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm with Stryder- if you have to ask, it's best left to professionals. Cost you way less than the damage you can inflict on your car, the trailer, and the tow vehicle.

Ask Bob Frederick who he uses and tips he's learned- he ships more cars than most.

·
Registered
954 Posts
yes definately look into amtrak auto train,you will be glad you did.some idiot could cut you off then youd have a wrecked yukon,trailer and challenger,its very reasonable from what i hear

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
One thing to be clear. The challenger is my car. Not my parents. IM not sneaking it down there. I have some towing exprience with my boat. But it was only 18 feet long and about 3800 pounds. Also IM in college, not highschool. I still want to do it. But didnt realise I was so close on the yukons rating. Its a 2wd so My payload and towing should be a little higher than a 4wd one. Maybe after a few weeks to think about it they will just let me drive it. The yukon does not use a bumper hitch. It has a frame hitch. Class IV

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hey, I was just having fun. Sounds like something my friend would try when I was in HS. What do your parents think, you car will be worth a fortune if you don't drive it? They have another guess coming. You will loose more money towing it than in to 2,000 miles down to Miami and back.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I am fresh off a trip with my Challenger in a trailer.

Tow rig: 1993 Chevy C2500 3/4 ton pickup with a 454, set up with Class IV hitch, Firestone Air Springs on the rear to level the load, and electric brake controller.

Trailer: 30' Enclosed with tandem axles (brakes on both axles).

Cargo: 2010 Challenger, 6 loose wheels and tires, LOTS of tools.

I only went 450 miles each way between N.E.Ohio and Atco, NJ.

I had plenty of power to pull the trailer as fast as I had the balls to go.

First problem...no trailer sway control.
Second problem...D-rings in the trailer were positioned too far to the rear of the trailer. I had to pull the front of the car up past the front D-ring, crawl under the car, and hook the straps up to the frame rails under the front seat area of the car. This was the only way to get enough tongue weight. The other option was to add another 500+ pounds of dead weight/useless cargo in the nose of the trailer.

As it turns out, safe maximum towing speeds with my setup were 60 mph on flat land, and 55 going downhill. What should have taken less than 8-hours in a car took over 10 hours in the truck. Also averaged 9.5 mpg!

If I was not going to race, I would just drive the car. Next time I go to race, I will use an open trailer instead of enclosed for sure.

My advice to you... drive the car.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Cool you have towing experience- that's helpful.

Loading a car onto a trailer has about the same level of nuance as loading a boat. Definitely at least recommend you have someone help you who's safely gotten a car onto and off of a trailer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Great info from all.

I'm still interested in the reasoning of your parents not wanting you to drive the car...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know it sucks and I'd love to drive my SRT8 everywhere I go but in this case just take the Yukon.

No way would I consider towing a 2+ ton car w/ trailer weight on a Yukon. 4wd or 2wd it's just not safe. Bumper pulls get scary especially when you don't/can't balance the weight correctly. Plus whats the rating on your trailer?

The only way I would ever tow a car this heavy is with a 3/4 ton or up (a diesel for better mpg) I did a lot of research into this when I was seriously considering "hotshotting" so I may be a bit more careful than some. Better safe than sorry is the motto in that crowd.

If your gonna look into towing your car more often I'd look at investing in an older beater Cummins. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 71 Posts