Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they are the same for a 2009 and a 2010. I want to put a set of 2010 rims and tires on my 2009 and need to know if I need to keep the 2009 TPM's, also, do you need to completly remove the tire to change these.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Not sure from 2009 to 2010 but my guess is yes. However, the TPMS for an RT/SRT8 is different from the SE so make sure you have the correct TPMS for the model of car you have. I know they are different because I have an SE and went from 18s to 20s. They moved the TPMS and broke one. The one they ordered was for an RT and it would not work so they had to order an SE one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No, 2010 and 2009 sensors are different and not interchangable. You should just be able to completely deflate the tire and push down the bead to change out sensors, but the 2010 sensors are rubber stem that pushes in, whereas the 2009 sensors use a nut to secure the stem, so you'll have to change out the whole valve stem in addition to the sensor. I have attached pics to illustrate the difference...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe that the rubber stem TPM sensors are replacements for the metal ones.. ie electronically they are the same... but when ordering a new set I wanted the metal stem TPMs and was able to get them!

·
Registered
389 Posts
No, 2010 and 2009 sensors are different and not interchangable. You should just be able to completely deflate the tire and push down the bead to change out sensors, but the 2010 sensors are rubber stem that pushes in, whereas the 2009 sensors use a nut to secure the stem, so you'll have to change out the whole valve stem in addition to the sensor. I have attached pics to illustrate the difference...
I've got a 2010 SRT8 and my TPMS has the nut securing the stem (first picture). Just did aftermarket wheels and moved my TPMS over to the new ones. I think the issue that has to be determined is if the transmitter frequency for 2009 and 2010 is the same (483 mhz for 2010); I believe it is, as 2009 is when Dodge went to that freq from the 300 mhz range on earlier models. A dealer parts shop should be able to tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I've got a 2010 SRT8 and my TPMS has the nut securing the stem (first picture). Just did aftermarket wheels and moved my TPMS over to the new ones. I think the issue that has to be determined is if the transmitter frequency for 2009 and 2010 is the same (483 mhz for 2010); I believe it is, as 2009 is when Dodge went to that freq from the 300 mhz range on earlier models. A dealer parts shop should be able to tell you for sure.
these guys are spot on. the frequency is different.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I know when I was looking at new wheels for our 300c on Tire Rack I noticed they were different.

They listed the 09 300c sensors for $239 and the 2010 sensors for "only" $176...
I ordered a set of 09 replacements... and got the exact Schader 433.92Mhz solid stem sensor shown above.
Hopefully it works... I'll find out soon enough.

Edit: Found this on a TPMS search... didn't realize it was a 3 month old thread, oops.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
Edit: Found this on a TPMS search... didn't realize it was a 3 month old thread, oops.
That's quite alright. I am also considering a wheel upgrade and may not have found this otherwise.

Just curious; anyone know how these things work? What powers them - going round and round? :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
That's quite alright. I am also considering a wheel upgrade and may not have found this otherwise.

Just curious; anyone know how these things work? What powers them - going round and round? :scratchhead:
There is a battery in each sensor so eventually they will have to be replaced. As the wheel spins it check in with the master module and will tell you on the dash if you are below a specified tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
There is a battery in each sensor so eventually they will have to be replaced. As the wheel spins it check in with the master module and will tell you on the dash if you are below a specified tire pressure.
Thanks! I didn't realize they had a battery. Yeah. They work well. Each of the past two years as winter begins, my indicator comes on to tell my the tires are low due the cooler ambient temps. (I know - I should be checking them more regularly :) Mine trigger the alert at 27 pounds. They work well. Wonder how long the batteries last. I imagine you'd get a false low pressure indication when the batteries need to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Does anyone know if they are the same for a 2009 and a 2010. I want to put a set of 2010 rims and tires on my 2009 and need to know if I need to keep the 2009 TPM's, also, do you need to completly remove the tire to change these.

Thanks,
The TPMS sensors on the 2009 operate at 433Mhz.They are the Schrader brand.Each sensor has several batteries that last 5-7 years and are activated when the tire is in rotation.The 2009 Challengers have the TPMS with the metal stem and a nut secures them where as the 2010 Challengers have the all plastic/rubber TPMS which are held in place with a set screw.

The sensors transmitt a signal to a unit in the dash of the car which can not be disabled by pulling a fuse.So,if you do not replace the TPMS when changing wheels the low pressure light on the dash will always be glowing,...until it burns out.

Check out the following link and PDF attachment for more info on part numbers.Chrysler TPMS - Chrysler TPMS Tools I Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts