Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting --- on the front driver side. Had TPMS wheel sensor replaced by Tire Kingdom. It did not go away and they refunded me. So I swapped the rear to the front tires. Still --- shows in front, rear shows pressure. But if I overinflate the front tire that was at the rear, it shows the change of pressure but it reports it as the rear tire. I have driven the car for more than two days and it remains the same (front driver --- and the rear with correct pressure, but the rear tire is located in front). Can the front TPMS module in the tire well be bad and the rear module still reads the front from that distance. Or the new TPMS sensor (now in the rear) is bad and prevents the system to update it's location till all 4 sensors are reporting in. I found a pre-programed TPMS at CarId I can buy, but before buying I want to address the indications I am getting. Any Ideas?????:scratchhead:

·
Registered
930 Posts
You have to preform a relearn procedure. Usally there is a way to manually do this. Most repair shops have a tpms scan tool to reset them. I would think tire kingdom would have one. If you don’t register the new tpms it won’t pick it up. I’ve seen a lot of people replace the wrong one because they go off the location on the screen instead of checking every wheel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to not get Tire Kingdom involved, I gave them a chance to fix it but they couldn't. First they (Tire Kingdom) installed a new TPMS supplied by there vender Napa Parts for a total cost of $201.57 before taxes plus shop supplies charge, using the scan tool . A complete rip off. I can get a pre-programmed TPMS at CarId for $39.99 + possible shipping. It would be cheaper to get it, have it installed and let the car relearn the TPMS. Here is a cut and paste from the maint manuale. According to the manuale, it should relearn on it's own. CarID also confirmed this as true.

NOTE: If a TPM-RKE Analyzer 9936 is not available, let the vehicle sit stationary for more then 20 minutes, and then proceed to step 4 below.

1.Using an updated TPM-RKE Analyzer 9936, select TPM Functions, then enter the Model Year and the Body Style of the vehicle, and for the Trigger Selection select PARK SENSOR.
2.Scan each TPM sensor at each road wheel, and store each Sensor ID in the correct location. (LEFT FRONT, LEFT REAR, RIGHT FRONT, RIGHT REAR, and SPARE TIRE (if equipped).
3.Connect the TPM-RKE Analyzer 9936 to the scan tool, and then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Program Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor ID w/ TPM Tool” under “MISC” for the WIN.
4.Drive the vehicle for a minimum of 20 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 24 km/h (15 mph).
5.With the scan tool, read WIN DTCs.

My main question remains at the last part of my initial post.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH, forgot to thank you for taking the time posting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have had my tires rotated in the past many times, it always relearned the positions of the wheels. But never had the situation of one not reporting.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I believe if you've got a bad sensor on one wheel the system will not relearn the positions if you rotate them because it can't tell where the bad one is so it just keeps them in their last known location.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am ordering a new TPMS and since this situation has not been brought up before, I will update the results. Tks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I never updated my results. Well the new TPMS did the trick. After it was fixed, a few weeks later another one was not reporting its pressure. I had the other three replaced and all is well for more than a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts