Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long to the TPMS sensors last before the battery runs out?

Just bought a set of Envy wheels that came with the sensors. They were installed about 3 years ago.

If they are good for another 3 years, I figure my tires will last at least that long.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
How long to the TPMS sensors last before the battery runs out?

Just bought a set of Envy wheels that came with the sensors. They were installed about 3 years ago.

If they are good for another 3 years, I figure my tires will last at least that long.

Thanks,
I was told about 10 years... I don't think we will really know until the mass of 2008 and 2009 cars that have them all start to age. Our 2006 RAV4 has them and they are still good.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told about 10 years... I don't think we will really know until the mass of 2008 and 2009 cars that have them all start to age. Our 2006 RAV4 has them and they are still good.
Thanks for the helpful feedback.

First vehicle we had with TPMS sensors was a 2007 Honda that we sold a 2 years ago.

Sounds like I should have quite a bit of life left on these guys.

Again, thanks!

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Life expectancy is approx 5 years, we are seeing going much further than that
However we do replace quite a few
Luke

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Life expectancy is approx 5 years, we are seeing going much further than that
However we do replace quite a few
Luke
Luke,

Thanks for your insight. Does a dead battery manifest itself as a low tire pressure, or is there a separate alert that is transmitted? Maybe that's covered in the manual. I didn't look close enough.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Luke,

Thanks for your insight. Does a dead battery manifest itself as a low tire pressure, or is there a separate alert that is transmitted? Maybe that's covered in the manual. I didn't look close enough.
Depends on the models, some will indicate tpms service required and some will show low or no pressure
Pretty sure some will not display indicate a straight line
Luke

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I haven't read the manual on the Challenger to know... I think on the RAV4 the low tire pressure light will flash to show you that it isn't low pressure but a fault with one of the TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It depends on the car, most will flash indicating a tpms system fault, but some do show low psi if left with a dead sensor for a while.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Have some on my 01' vette that are originals, I'm betting the ones on the Challenger will do at least 10yr. assuming they turn OFF like the Vettes when the wheel in not spinning for several minutes.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Here is a You Tube video of how to replace a sensor. Depending on how many miles you drive a year, it may make sense to wait until your tires need replacement.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hadn't thought about them shutting down while stopped. But that makes sense.

And, thanks for the video. I guess if you have a bead breaker, it'd be pretty easy to do at home. Well, I'll probably go through another set of tires and change them out at that time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had mine changed today at my local dealer. The weird thing is the psi was jumping from tire to tire, till finally it tripped the ABS, traction control and something else- can't remember. The car is a 2009 SRT8 with 29,000 miles. All my tire pressures were good. It's all fixed now and working like should.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Until reading this thread, I've never even thought about this. I usually trade vehicles within 5 years, and have never had a sensor go out. My wife likes to keep her cars longer, and her last car was an '04 Crossfire that she drove for 9 years, those still worked perfectly when we sold the car last summer. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Any recommendations on aftermarket sensors? Getting a set on EBAY for $50 seems like a recipe for disaster, but the aftermarket wheel vendors seem to only offer them for $70 each. Is there a happy medium out there (Steve White????).

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Any recommendations on aftermarket sensors? Getting a set on EBAY for $50 seems like a recipe for disaster, but the aftermarket wheel vendors seem to only offer them for $70 each. Is there a happy medium out there (Steve White????).
Be careful about off-brand sensors. Many only work for certain model years. You do not want to buy 4 sensors and have your wheels balanced only to discover that they don't work for your car. Schraders are a good brand to buy.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Don't forget to re-balance the wheels.
I'm getting after market wheels and moving my tires to them, so there will be re-balancing no matter what. I'm just trying to decide whether I should put new batteries (if that's even possible) in my 6 year old OEM TPMS and move them to the new wheels, or fork out $250 for all new sensors. (like buying a 5th wheel).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts