Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...just picked up a 2010 SRT. The car has Foose wheels on it. The TPMS reading showed two tires low. I just had them checked, valve stems are on the inside of the rims, and found that the readings were correct, just on the wrong tire. The front left showed low but was good, the front right showed good but was low...basically the same on the rear also. From reading on the forum, it appears that they should reset but it did not appear. I drove the car 50 miles home from the dealer and the readings did go up as they should have.

Basically, is there a way to reset the TPMS or just drive it and allow them to reset? I do not know if the factory sensors were installed or if new ones were installed.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
This is a quirk of the Chrysler self learning system. Our Jeep sometimes shows the pressures in the wrong location. Best as I understand, the system decides which TPMS is in which location by the signal level received and it doesn't always get it right.

Possibly a dealer can manually reset them. I just decided I didn't really care, if it starts showing any tire low I will check them all with a gauge. I check all tires with a gauge at least once a month and adjust the pressure anyway.

The Jeep winter tire/wheels are aftermarket TPMS and the summer tires are OEM TPMS and it seems to make no difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Occasionally Chryslers wonderful TPM systems loose calibration and do weird things for absolutely no reason. It also happens sometimes when tires have been rotated or similar. Usually 9 times out of 10 the computer relearns by itself. But sometimes they need to be reprogrammed to each wheel manually.

Very easy for the dealer to do, each tire sensor has its own individual ID#. This can be found out WITHOUT removing the tire. The sensor ID's can then be programmed to the correct wheel position and then the module reset. As long as pressures are correct then the vehicle may require driving and the light should go out.

In my experience after doing that the light went out before I left the parking lot of the dealer 8 times out of 10, sometimes it would take me driving to the end of the road (1 block) and it was out. Very occasionally it would take a decently long roadtest to get the light to go out. I believe the service information said that sometimes it can take up to 15km or 15 minutes of constant driving before the relearn.

Either way dealer should be able to fix it up pretty easy for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts