Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying four Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires (245/45R20- front and 275/40R20- rear) for my 2009 SRT.

Some TPMS sensors require programming using a diagnostic tool, like a Starscan or Bartec. However, I discovered that Redi-sensors, made by VDO, are pre-programmed and only require relearning.

I think that once all of the tires are properly inflated, all you have to do is to drive your Challenger for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph, in order for the system to learn the new sensor IDs. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Different sensors work differently but most of them are plug and play even on these cars.

I use Dorman 974-043 sensors off of summit in my daily driven drag radials and 225 front runners. They are cheaper than dodge and are aluminum body rather than rubber. Put them in and drive a little and they set themself. No effort at all. No special driving that you have to do either, just put them in and go.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In researching this issue, I learned that the lithium battery in a TPMS sensor typically lasts up to seven years and up to 100,000 miles. For the average owner this is fine since most don't keep their cars that long. Frequent on-off cycling of a TPMS, tire pressure sampling frequency and temperature extremes, however, significantly shortens battery life. In addition, failure can occur due to corrosion or use of tire sealant.

If you don't drive your car frequently, the TPMS sensors will last longer because they don’t broadcast a continuous signal- only when the vehicle is in motion. Even then, the signal is intermittent to conserve battery life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts