Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they just expensive cause they can be?

I know you can find them for as cheap as like 10 dollars each or upwards of 80 or more a piece.

Is there really something "special" to them or it's a matter of hey you "have to have them" so we are going to charge you for it, type of thing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
430 Posts
Mopar units are ~$80 each IIRC. Tire shops ranged from $40-100 but averaged $65 a piece. Watchout though - they may try to sneak extra charges past you for the install, but if tires are coming off the wheels anyhow for replacement you shouldn't pay twice for that labor. Beware the eBay ones - they can really be hit or miss with the frequency syncing up. Grabbing really cheap used OE ones off eBay has worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
I'd think the longevity of the battery. It's possible to get some things where the $10 part works just fine. When the part is basically embedded inside the wheel/tire, and is part of an early warning system, I'd go for OEM, or an OEM supplier. BTW

A Guy

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'd think the longevity of the battery. It's possible to get some things where the $10 part works just fine. When the part is basically embedded inside the wheel/tire, and is part of an early warning system, I'd go for OEM, or an OEM supplier. BTW

A Guy
The TPMS sensor has to work in a pretty harsh environment. From extreme cold to extreme heat. Often it experiences this range of temperatures over a short span of time as the car is started out from cold and then is driven a distance and the tires heat up.

The sensor must withstand vibration, jarring, and so on.

The electronics must work and work very well. The RF transmitter in the sensor has to stay on frequency. It can't deviate from the desired radio frequency.

Parts are selected to meet the temperature ranges the sensor will be exposed to. So more expensive components are required.

And their packaging must be such that all the centrifugal force the sensor is subjected too, all the vibration and jarring it is subjected to, cannot loosen, dislodge, or fracture any connection, part, or solder connection.

In a previous career I was exposed to small electronic devices that have to work in harsh/severe environments and the cost of even a small device can be rather high due to the cost of the hardware and packaging to allow the device to survive and function properly.

While a less expensive sensor might work the odds are it won't. Oh it might work for a while but not for the expected or desired lifetime.

With TPMS sensors you almost always get what you pay for. Yeah, somebody -- there's always one -- can buy the cheapest sensors available and get 10 years of service life, but most of use won't have that exceptional luck.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Stay away from that cheap Chinese crap, you most likely will regret it. Just shop for the best price on the Schrader valves and you will be golden. I also have the tire shop test each valve, prior to install, and verify all are working.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it sounds like the price is higher not because of the simple task the TPMS sensor must complete but because of the environment and conditions that it must be able to complete the task in.

Next question.

When I get my new tires I will have two sets of rims and tires both with working TPMS sensors.

When setting in the garage how will the car deal with 8 sensors vs 4? Obviously once out of bluetooth range no big deal.

Probably a mute point but just curious

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not a problem there. The range is pretty limited. Anyway, the TPMS is read while driving. You’ll need to put a few miles on new ones for the dash readouts to recalibrate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts