Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here. Came with 50 PSI from the dealer - great set up. I aired down
to 32psi with my air gauge and warning light comes on saying tires are at 23lbs.
I don't thinks so. They raise to 26/27. I recheck them warm- 35. Is there a reset like
I have had in other cars? Looked in the manual and not a word except add more air.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts
No specific reset. Try bumping them up to 40 or so. Drive around for 20 minutes or so, they should reset to that PSI. Lower them back down to 32. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
The only thing I can say is, drive around a while. I had a nail in my tire, and it wasn't until about 5 miles of driving the next day that I got a warning of being at 25 PSI.

Now, I knew the nail was in there, but when I first got in the car that morning, it said I had 30 PSI in the tire. So it takes a little while to find itself.

·
Registered
486 Posts
New owner here. Came with 50 PSI from the dealer - great set up. I aired down
to 32psi with my air gauge and warning light comes on saying tires are at 23lbs.
I don't thinks so. They raise to 26/27. I recheck them warm- 35. Is there a reset like
I have had in other cars? Looked in the manual and not a word except add more air.
If none of the suggested attempts to reset work, double check the accuracy of the gauge you are using.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
They either work or they don't. I work at a dealership and I've found that tire pressures sensors are pretty accurate. It's tire pressure gauges, especially cheap ones, that are all over the place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TomLaq and BlackHemi41 are 100% spot on. After airing them up and down and seeing how consistent the sensors were acting I decided to check my fancy brass racing gauge I have owned for over 30 years. It's off by 7 lbs! I liked it because it stopped at max air and it had a reset button! Used the one out of the wife's car which is even older. Her father who has passed owned a service station and towing service in Great Falls MT. and he gave it too her with her first car. Chrome stick with the pocket clip-old school. His claim to fame was he rented his wreckers for movie shot there in the 70's. Clint Eastwood- Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Picked up a new digital gauge today. 1/2lb of air makes a big difference at the track. Cheap Harbor Freight heat temp sensor gun works great at the track. I shoot 3 temps on each tire ASAP after pitting. Inside, Middle and Outside. Adjust pressure to try and even the temps across the tire. Too much heat on the outsides add air and vice-a-versa.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
TomLaq and BlackHemi41 are 100% spot on. After airing them up and down and seeing how consistent the sensors were acting I decided to check my fancy brass racing gauge I have owned for over 30 years. It's off by 7 lbs! I liked it because it stopped at max air and it had a reset button! Used the one out of the wife's car which is even older. Her father who has passed owned a service station and towing service in Great Falls MT. and he gave it too her with her first car. Chrome stick with the pocket clip-old school. His claim to fame was he rented his wreckers for movie shot there in the 70's. Clint Eastwood- Thunderbolt & Lightfoot. Picked up a new digital gauge today. 1/2lb of air makes a big difference at the track. Cheap Harbor Freight heat temp sensor gun works great at the track. I shoot 3 temps on each tire ASAP after pitting. Inside, Middle and Outside. Adjust pressure to try and even the temps across the tire. Too much heat on the outsides add air and vice-a-versa.
Glad you got that sorted. I didn't want to say for sure but that is often the case. Curious, do you do autocross and/or road course type track use?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do love my track days. I have not had Betty on the track yet but I will shortly. There is an open track day coming up in few weeks at the Ridge. I do plan on tracking this car a bit. We will see how she does but she should be fun. Ordered a Petty Garage front brace and I am probably going to do the rear also. One step at a time between track days so I can report on the changes in handling part by part. I will do bigger sway bars too down the road.

My last track car was MINI-JCW I had all set up. Racing wheels and tires with slicks, racing brakes, 4 point harness etc. Car was an absolute blast at the track. One of my best days was running with a 70 challenger at the track. It was slower but just looked and sounds so cool at the track. The MINI actually got to be to dangerous at the track. Not for me but other drivers. No one and repeat no one want to let the MINI by. I can't normally pass on the straights but I was way faster in the corners which allowed for faster lap times. Guys would totally over drive there cars to prevent me from getting by. If I was driving anything else it wouldn't be an issue. Tip- corner workers love the MINI's. If you hold me up just little they are usually flagging the slower cars really fast. Why I got out of it.

I am at a track day and running with a German guy driving his M3. I had faster lap times all day as I did over many of the 911's there that day. I passed him early in the session and towards the end I had him in my sights for a lapping. He saw me reeling him in over a few laps and I could see his driving style change and him now driving the car 100% all in. I am still gaining. I chase him down the front straight into the first corner. Closing fast now I should be on his ass at the top of the hill. I smell blood and I am on it hard up the hill carrying lots of speed out of turn one. I get to the top of the hill and he is nowhere to be seen.
Out of the corner of my eye I see the Blue M3 headed for the woods and the trees! I slow and just watch as he now is out of control sliding sideways towards some huge Cedar trees. He slides sideways at 50+ between the two trees with a foot to spare on either side. He comes to rest sideways in front of a row of porta potties! Side skirts and valances all torn off the car but he was unhurt. He could have died that day very easily. Luck was with him. What went wrong. He was pushing too hard. Came over the hill and rear end got light. He was pushing hard and stayed on the throttle. Tires broke loose as the rear end got light and the ass end started coming around and at that speed there was no saving it. Your just along for the ride at that point.

That same day a buddy was teaching a new driver how to drive her 911 fast. At one point he hers here say "Oh Shit". He asked what's wrong? "I have to let that dam MINI by" "Your worried about that dam MINI too. He has passed every 911 here today. He also lapped the Lambo that is here today too. Leason #1 at the track. The fastest cars are not always the fastest around a race track. A fast driver with skill in average car will beat the fastest cars every day at the track. Time does not lie just like Yoga Pants". I love that line. She was wearing Yoga pants, lol. I sold the MINI a few days later as that car was going to kill another driver at the track and I wanted no part of it. People want to cut the MINI off in traffic all the time. In just a week I have noticed people get out of the way when they see that aggressive looking front end of the Challenger filling up there mirrors. My car came with all season which would get destroyed in one track day. I have some summer Pirelli P Zero's getting mounted up tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts
I've seen may good reviews, that's why I mentioned it. For $20 it's a good deal. There's 1000's in between the 2 I posted, depends upon your needs. A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
my need is a gauge that I can trust and compare to the readings on my HELLCAT.
Good info on the site with the Tanner Gauges, would like to know where that gauge is made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts