Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2345 mile 2015 Challenger SRT 392 to the dealer Monday for a transmission problem that popped up a couple weeks ago. Now mind you this car has not even had its first oil change yet, never seen rain, and is kept in the garage. The low mileage is due to having other vehicles to drive, so its basically just a toy. Although I do occasionally take it out to "stretch" its legs, its never abused, anyway, I began to notice a "gear nibble" or grinding when shifting into 5th gear. The dealer called yesterday to inform me the technician did feel and hear the problem, and would call again tomorrow after performing some electrical and or electronic checks on the transmission. Now being a formerly ASE certified technician myself in a past life i know the difference between a electrical problem and a mechanical one, i know the trans has lockout solenoids and stuff like that, but this feels like a synchronizer failure or other internal problem. What should i expect from the dealer as far as transmission repair or replacement? What in your opinion may be wrong with the transmission? I cant believe this kind of problem with a car with such low mileage.:frown:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,585 Posts
Having a 6 spd as well, I will say that I quickly disliked the factory shift quality. At first I thought it was great but the skip shift drove me crazy and after a while I noticed shifting into gears during hard acceleration required more effort and concentration (I also would smell a hint of burnt clutch), until I removed the clutch delay valve. Can't say I ever noticed a nibble in 5th but I did have issues with 2nd and 3rd which I attributed to the skip shift solenoid and clutch delay. Hopefully the dealership can address your problem or someone else here can chime in with a similar experience. But if you are not satisfied with the shift quality, there are things that can be done to improve it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Considering the age of your car, I would change the oil.. You are talking about running on ~3 year old oil!

I HATE the 1-2 shift because i dont know if the skipshift BS is going to throw me into 4th or not.. 2-3 shift is next issue. I have missed 2 shifts by throwing it into 1st instead of 3rd (car wasnt happy about those lol). Too much slop in the shifter.

A barton shifter is definitely on my christmas list.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
It could a bad syncro or burrs on shift rail - these newer years have much better shift quality.

I had an '09 and it took 13k before the 1st> 2nd nibble settled down.

My '16 drove like full broken in from day one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You've got a 2015 and it's not even got 3000 miles on it yet? Why did you buy it? My month old 2017 has 1200, because I actually drive it.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Wonder if the Reverse lockout could be partially to blame for this.

Now mind you this car has not even had its first oil change yet..
FCA specifies a maximum 6 month oil change interval for SRT, engine warranty in jeopardy if required maintenance schedule not followed.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've got a 2015 and it's not even got 3000 miles on it yet? Why did you buy it? My month old 2017 has 1200, because I actually drive it.
Lostviking, I bought the car as a toy, I have other vehicles to drive on a daily basis, so its just something i drive once or twice a month, and only when the weather is nice. This is my second Challenger since 2012, but this one i special ordered. I'm glad that you're enjoying driving yours though.:smile:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lostviking, I bought the car as a toy, I have other vehicles to drive on a daily basis, so its just something i drive once or twice a month, and only when the weather is nice. This is my second Challenger since 2012, but this one i special ordered. I'm glad that you're enjoying driving yours though.:smile:
I can't even imagine being able to afford a $40K toy, but anything built by a human can have problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
392nutz did the dealer find out what the problem is?
The service writer called me late Friday and said they were in the process of removing the transmission to identify the problem, and that something had failed inside the gearbox. Once the transmission is out and inspected, a determination will be made depending on the problem rather it should be repaired or replaced under the drivetrain warranty. I personally think the transmission would just be replaced, I cant see the dealer "repairing" a transmission under warranty. Anyway, as soon as I know something I will post, thx.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
The service writer called me late Friday and said they were in the process of removing the transmission to identify the problem, and that something had failed inside the gearbox. Once the transmission is out and inspected, a determination will be made depending on the problem rather it should be repaired or replaced under the drivetrain warranty. I personally think the transmission would just be replaced, I cant see the dealer "repairing" a transmission under warranty. Anyway, as soon as I know something I will post, thx.
Especially if the last manual transmission the dealer worked on was years ago on a Ram Diesel and that tech left since that repair was done...

Then the next guy that's never opened up one of these tries to figure out how the thing works...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I experience similar problems with my 2015 SRT and have taken it to the dealer to have it checked out 3 times in the last 2 and a half years with the last one being two weeks ago and every single time I am told "cannot duplicate problem". The very first time the tech said he noticed the problem and contacted FCA and it came back "operating like normal". I am planning on installing a Barton and a skip shift to see if any of that helps. As of today my dodge has only 16000 miles on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I experience similar problems with my 2015 SRT and have taken it to the dealer to have it checked out 3 times in the last 2 and a half years with the last one being two weeks ago and every single time I am told "cannot duplicate problem". The very first time the tech said he noticed the problem and contacted FCA and it came back "operating like normal". I am planning on installing a Barton and a skip shift to see if any of that helps. As of today my dodge has only 16000 miles on it.
Sorry to hear about your problem, I purchased a 2012 Challenger SRT8 from this same dealer and drove the car until about 4500 miles before trading it for the special order car I have now. The transmission in that car always seemed to be a little notchy and would frequently grind between gears when it was cold, I was new to a modern performance manual trans and just thought it was normal. After taking delivery of my current car the dealer called to see if I had any problems with the transmission in my trade in, and I told them the above problems, and they told me they will be replacing it under warranty!....oh well, it was not my problem anymore. I didn't know how bad that transmission was until i drove the new car, the shift quality was 10 times better. Anyway, the dealer service department called me today and said the "parts" have come in to repair the trans on my current car, although the dealer would not elaborate on what exactly the "parts" are. Hopefully I will have my car back by this weekend without any troubles. Wish me luck! :surprise:

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I tracked my car at Daytona a couple of months ago, during the first session, I had major difficulty shifting from 4th to 5th gear above about 4,400 RPM. It felt as if i were locked out. Got a grind the one time I tried to force it. The only work around I had a chance to try was simply shifting into 5th early. Had to quit track event early because of broken CV joint boot.

I also noticed a grind when shifting into reverse quickly after coming to a complete stop.

When I returned home, I replaced the transmission fluid with RP Synchromax and replaced the clutch fluid with Motul 660. Soon after, I tracked the car again, this time at VIR(much funner than Daytona BTW). Although still a bit notchy, I was able to shift from 4th to 5th as high as 5,500 RPMs. I think most likely it was the Synchromax that helped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
392nutz ... I bought a 2009 RT new with TR6060 6-spd and right from the start the shift from 1-2 was rough. Hoped it would mitigate with miles but it never did. (All other shifts were smooth- both up and down.) I tried changing the oil and I installed a skip shift eliminator resistor, but neither did any good except to get rid of the hated skip shift. I talked to the tranny "doctor" at the dealership but procrastinated about asking them to do serious analysis and possible repair/replacement while the car was under warranty. Ultimately the warranty expired and some rust appeared just in front of the rear wheels at the rocker panel level. For me, this was the final reason to trade the car after 9 years.

Other than the tranny problem, I loved the RT and when the dealer offered me an attractive deal on a 2017 RT with an 8-spd automatic that was sitting on the lot, I jumped at it. Thought I was a manual shift bigot, but must admit that after 10,000 Km, I prefer the automatic. And the '17 sounds soooo good. Lots of small feature improvements too.

I offer this little story to encourage anyone out there with a 6060 shift problem to get it dealt with while the warranty is valid. There seems to be something inherently weak in the synchronizer mechanism in many of the Challengers. Best of luck - hope the dealer has found a solution for you. ... AvidPilot

·
Registered
93 Posts
392nuts good luck and please let me know what they tell you the problem was. I did install a skip shift eliminator today and did notice my shifting had improved and it felt much better after I drove it around for a while. Since I had my tools out I decided to also install my new Barton shifter and hope the combination of the two helps me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
bump for the resolution

I've had nothing but issues with my 2012 R/T 6MT. 1st week of ownership and I installed a skip shift eliminator. Removing the clutch delay crap fixed a ton of the issues as well. Sadly the prior owner roasted the clutch I think. I bought her at 25k miles. Currently at 37k. Not driving at moment because it frankly sucks to drive until I figure out clutch issue.

From the very beginning she felt very notchy and 2nd was a PITA to hit at times. And 5th gear took very firm effort to get into. Clutch delay removal eased the 5th gear shift, and made 2nd easier to hit. Right now it shakes violently when in gear and coasting, and worse when brakes are applied. no shaking when in neutral or clutch pushed in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you believe this s##t!
Dealer called me today to let me know my car is ready after 2 weeks, I didn't even have a chance to ask him what the problem was before he informed that although the transmission again works the way it should, I could not pick the car up today because the technician somehow damaged the rear bumper lower valance panel. The service writer says no worries that the damage was limited to the valance and did not get into the painted portion of the bumper, and that the new part has been ordered and should be in by mid week. I thought the guy was kidding me at first, but no such luck. I mean really?, I would think the last place to get your car damaged is from the "professionals" at the dealer service department. I know accidents happen but damn! I don't think their going to like what I put on the customer service survey....sigh!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can certainly understand your frustration! Regarding the damage, at least the dealer is taking the high-road by openly admitting their fault and making the necessary repairs at their expense (as it should be). I know it still sucks, but mistakes do happen. I'm sure the technician feels stupid about it and may very well be subject to some disciplinary action depending on the circumstances.

As I see it you have a couple of options.
1) You could go into the dealer enraged about the situation and let them have it. After all...the f'd-up your car! There can be a certain satisfaction in "venting" on them and their apparent incompetence.

2) Or, you could go in and (so long as they fixed it completely and properly) be very understanding and thank them for their honesty and integrity. This isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do given the circumstances but I promise you, they will remember you in a very positive way! If ever you need the benefit of any doubt from them in a future situation, you'll likely get it! In the long run, this will be a much better option for all involved.

Like I said, nothing wrong with venting your frustrations... got to get that stuff out. Do it before you go to the dealer. Then when you go to pick up your car, show them an equal amount of maturity, integrity and professionalism.

However, if the car is still jacked up....start swinging! No, no...just kidding!

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can certainly understand your frustration! Regarding the damage, at least the dealer is taking the high-road by openly admitting their fault and making the necessary repairs at their expense (as it should be). I know it still sucks, but mistakes do happen. I'm sure the technician feels stupid about it and may very well be subject to some disciplinary action depending on the circumstances.

As I see it you have a couple of options.
1) You could go into the dealer enraged about the situation and let them have it. After all...the f'd-up your car! There can be a certain satisfaction in "venting" on them and their apparent incompetence.

2) Or, you could go in and (so long as they fixed it completely and properly) be very understanding and thank them for their honesty and integrity. This isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do given the circumstances but I promise you, they will remember you in a very positive way! If ever you need the benefit of any doubt from them in a future situation, you'll likely get it! In the long run, this will be a much better option for all involved.

Like I said, nothing wrong with venting your frustrations... got to get that stuff out. Do it before you go to the dealer. Then when you go to pick up your car, show them an equal amount of maturity, integrity and professionalism.

However, if the car is still jacked up....start swinging! No, no...just kidding!

Best of luck to you.
Thanks STR8 Pilot, I plan to be on my best behavior, because as you said, they did own up to it and will take care of the problem. I just am a little aggravated about the situation. Just as long as the original problem is taken care of, and the new problem is repaired properly, I'm sure I'll get over it.:wink3:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts