Dodge Challenger Forum banner

TR6060 on back order?

3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  DionR 
#1 ·
My 2015 R/T went to the dealer coming up on 3 weeks ago because of what felt like excessive driveline lash. Thought maybe it was in the differential or maybe a u-joint or cv joint. Tech determined it was the transmission.

Talked to the service writer last week to check on the status and he said they decided to replace the trans, but he doesn’t know when they will have the new one as they are on back order.

Not doubting the service writer, but curious if someone can shed some light on why they are on back order and when they might come off it. Are the manufacturers stocking up for 2020 production? Or did they suspend production for some reason?

Only nervous about it because I need to get it home before snow and snot is on the road.

#2 ·
Still no info. I did look up buying a TR6060 to see if it would give me some insight and summit sells them for a Camaro. Said it would ship 12/12 if ordered today. 7 weeks.

I am just over 3 weeks, assuming they made the decision and placed the order within the first week, I still have 5 weeks before it ships.

Lot's of assumptions and generalizations there, but it is all I have right now.

#3 ·
Perhaps DodgeCares can look into this for you? PM them your VIN# and info on the dealer

A Guy

#6 ·
Maybe mine was one of them. Drove past the dealer this evening and my car wasn't sitting outside anywhere that I saw so maybe it is up on a lift getting a transmission.

Called the service writer but he didn't call back so not certain.

#5 ·
its the "curse" of just-in-time production.

Tremec probably doesn't schedule a lot of production ahead of time, only to have units sitting in warehouse / distribution centers. The supply to manufacturers FCA / GM / Ford get priority first and warranty / replacement units are further down the list.

This coupled with production in more recent years being 80 / 20 of automatics vs. manuals and Tremec has probably staffed their facilities accordingly to demand.

in earlier years you'd see a 60 / 40 split of automatics vs. manuals, but the A8 seems to have really taken off sales-wise and fewer manuals are ordered as lot inventory by dealers.

Another factor are younger buyers are in the marketplace compared to the early years of production and many don't want or can't drive manual transmissions

#7 ·
Kinda off subject a tad.....but if you’re still making payments on the car, when week four rolls around, I’d start composing a well constructed letter to FCA seeking reimbursement for your monthly payment. I have a few friends over on cumminsforum.com and some have had issues with lengthy repairs on their trucks due to some oddball parts availability issues. They were reimbursed......some for multiple and partial months.

Reactions: MrF8Green
#8 ·
So, still waiting. Info from a different source at the dealer says it isn't a new trans but a reman'ed one. I am ok with that, but why is it taking so long? Since I haven't seen the car on the lot in a couple of weeks I would wonder if they pulled mine already except the service writer says they have been pulling it inside each night.

Wishing I had pushed to just get mine rebuilt. Would have kept the numbers matching one in the car and I wouldn't have had to wait for a transmission to show up. Not like it is a Hemi Challenger and will be worth $3.4 million some day, but...hey, wait, it is a Hemi Challenger. :ROFLMAO:

Waiting for a call today, service manager is supposed to have a bunch more info but no idea what to expect.

Doesn't help that the tech took last week off because his wife had surgery, and then took a couple of more days off because it didn't go smoothly.

Made my second car payment on it since I dropped it off, 5 weeks yesterday.

Stopped last night and told a different service writer (mine was gone already) that I wanted to see my car, so he went back to find out something and came back and said it was parked out by the grass. There were 3 Challengers there, but none of them were mine, so I still have no idea if the door is caved in or if it fell off the lift or something.

#9 ·
So, still waiting. Info from a different source at the dealer says it isn't a new trans but a reman'ed one. I am ok with that, but why is it taking so long? Since I haven't seen the car on the lot in a couple of weeks I would wonder if they pulled mine already except the service writer says they have been pulling it inside each night.

Wishing I had pushed to just get mine rebuilt. Would have kept the numbers matching one in the car and I wouldn't have had to wait for a transmission to show up. Not like it is a Hemi Challenger and will be worth $3.4 million some day, but...hey, wait, it is a Hemi Challenger. :ROFLMAO:

Waiting for a call today, service manager is supposed to have a bunch more info but no idea what to expect.

Doesn't help that the tech took last week off because his wife had surgery, and then took a couple of more days off because it didn't go smoothly.

Made my second car payment on it since I dropped it off, 5 weeks yesterday.

Stopped last night and told a different service writer (mine was gone already) that I wanted to see my car, so he went back to find out something and came back and said it was parked out by the grass. There were 3 Challengers there, but none of them were mine, so I still have no idea if the door is caved in or if it fell off the lift or something.
You are stuck in dealership Jail. My word of advice, don’t rely on them to call you because they usually dont. Reason being they dont have the info you want to hear. Like others mentioned, ask for a break on your payments. And maybe even go out of your way and ask another shop about time frame on a reman and see if the dealer will cover taking it to a different shop...don’t actually do it, but it will make them realize that you want your freaking car back . Hell, one of my customers i talked do about doing my clutch and replacing the synchros said all the parts were available and he can R&R it under a week

#11 ·
Hmm...you're not making me feel any better.

I reached out to DodgeCares in a PM so we will see what happens.

#21 ·
So I guess they are supposed to put a reman in the car unless it takes too long to get one. So, perhaps the reman is back ordered even if there are new ones on the shelf? Don't know, guess we will see what happens.

#16 ·
Interesting.

Talked to the service writer yesterday and he said it is a trani tech that is out and he has ideas about fixing mine. Guy is supposed to be back on Monday and the writer said he thought they could have it back to me next week. Said Monday he would 100% know what is going to happen.

Already have a case number. Thanks!

#20 ·
the manufacturers repair vehicles to the original design, they dont upgrade vehicles, dealer are also responsible to perform the repairs in house, most components have a 70% rule, if it cost more then 70% to repair, the unit is replaced with reman if available, if no reman available, new or relabeled units

certain components like 8 or 9 speed autos, except for a few allowable external repairs, are replacement units only, no field overhaul or major repair

#24 ·
Sounds like DionR needs to follow up with another PM to DodgeCares with the above information and get the party started. Sure seems like his dealership is dragging their knuckles.....

#25 ·
I have a case number and was told they would be contacting the dealer and myself.

Only been a day, so hopefully soon.

I talked to my service writer and gave him the number. Got a voicemail back but haven't listened to it yet.

#26 ·
Word is they have a transmission coming from Warren, supposed to be here next week. I expect if Luke looks again, there will only be 1 left there now.

Not sure if the failure was on the part of my service writer or the part department at the dealership. My gut says the parts department with maybe a little on the service writers part for not pushing them to find an answer. Who knows.

Thanks for the support Luke. Even if Dodge would have gotten the ball rolling, it would have been a couple of days longer. I think your input gave me the ammo to get them moving.

Reactions: stevewhite
#28 ·
Just a quick follow up.

Should get my car back today, just waiting on the bolts for the drive shaft (they were missing from the box and had to be ordered). Just in time, supposed to get snow on Monday.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Six weeks last Tuesday and who knows how long it would have taken without Luke getting me a part number.

Reactions: GSBrockman
#29 ·
Finally got to drive the car and get it home. They actually fixed a problem that I didn’t know was one and it was a joy to drive.

I took the car in because of what felt like slack in the driveline so I was surprised to hear they were replacing the transmission instead of the differential. I didn’t notice any slack last night so maybe that was fixed, but the huge difference was the lack of a rattle or tick at different rpms and loads. I thought it was the typical Hemi tick and was normal as it had done it from the day I bought it with 5200 miles on it. Guess the trans had an issue all this time that I was unaware of. But now, the car feels really quiet and tight. Guess It wasn’t normal and boy am I glad to have it fixed.

Still wish it hadn’t taken so long as now the temps are too low to drive it and I have to park it for the season, but very pleased to have something fixed that I had ignored as “normal” that wasn’t.

Pretty happy with the outcome.

And to be clear, the delay between being able to get the car on Friday but not driving it until last night had nothing to do with the dealership. My wife and I were at the Weekend to Remember marriage conference all weekend in Coeur D’Alene so I couldn’t get the car home. But on Friday we stopped and grabbed the keys and just left it on the dealers lot until last night on the way home when we stopped and picked it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.