Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have my car for 3 weeks now and I still enjoy it. How ever i have done some "testing" and I am becoming more and more unsure about my car. 0-60 and 1/4mile is no issue the car hooks good and works well. The issue I am having is when I corner the front end slides. I have some toe in the wheels both front and rear. Long sweepers are no issue but 90s and other such corners the car just pushes. I had it push so hard on me yesterday that I nearly ended up in the ditch. I have Hankook tires with 30psi when I play. It pushed so hard that the front tires slid meaning they left black marks. This honestly has me a lil uncomfortable under harder driving. . I can take a 30mph sweeper corner at 65-70 mph.

My question is what can i do to get this more track ready with out dumping a small fortune in it. I dont own the car yet, so cost is pretty important.

Guess I should mention that the hood is fiberglass. Dont know if that is stock or not.

Please help;.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
What version do you have; SRT, r/t or SE? Kind and size of tires?
Model year? A fiberglass hood is not stock. Other mods?
It is a 4000 plus pound car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok the only other mods that I know of is window tint, aside from a lil toe or is it caster (never can keep them two straight. Wh;eels tilt inward at the top) in the Wheels.

Now to answer your question the front tires are 235/55/18 Hankook and the rears are 235/55/18 vigator or some crap like that.

I have the 2012 SXT 3.6 v6 automatic. Its a commuter that I can have a little fun in.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Are you on a 6-spd with LSD? If so, I've heard that you should not be power-on going into the 90 deg turn. When you are on-power, that activates the locking in the LSD, which will make the car tend to resist the turn and preferentially push straight ahead.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Ok the only other mods that I know of is window tint, aside from a lil toe or is it caster (never can keep them two straight. Wh;eels tilt inward at the top) in the Wheels.

Now to answer your question the front tires are 235/55/18 Hankook and the rears are 235/55/18 vigator or some crap like that.

I have the 2012 SXT 3.6 v6 automatic. Its a commuter that I can have a little fun in.
I didn't see your update before I posted...hence, no issue with LSD, I think.

Do you disable the traction control (press the squiggley button)? It's not so much about traction control, rather stability control. When it is in default-on, it will naturally give you a lot of trouble in spirited cornering. Essentially, all oversteer is dialed out, and if something slips, it will necessarily be an understeer slip. It makes the front tires work even harder to get the car rotating in a turn, and at a size of 235 wide, you don't have much turning headroom to spare on a car this heavy in the first place, right? ;)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It's the tires, they do not grip well at all ALLMOST as bad as stock. Skidding in corners, should be gripping, and if front/rears aren't matched is no help get some sticker tires like Nitto Motivos and you will be able to sling the corners! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's the tires, they do not grip well at all ALLMOST as bad as stock. Skidding in corners, should be gripping, and if front/rears aren't matched is no help get some sticker tires like Nitto Motivos and you will be able to sling the corners! :D
Will do!

randycat99: Not sure what you said. I did get traction control off. An yes when I play I turn it of. It and the open rear end annoys the livin crap outta me. Loose the traction controll and gimmi a locker and Ill show you how these cars work.This is the first car I have had since the y2k scare.

Now to figure out what that annoying poping noise under my seat is.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
BERT, weren't you R/T 6speed shopping? There's your cure!

Just sayin. :browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Tires are Hugh as already stated but you need to stiffen the car up if you want to play in the twisties. A strut tower brace is a good start. Also get your center of gravity down lower with a kit from Eibach, Hotchkis, etc. With street tires the hotter they get the more slipperier they get. In other words, the more laps you make the more you're going to plow the pavement. A set of real track tires will make a huge difference. They're designed to get stickier as they warm up. You may need to invest in some wider rims to accommodate the higher performance tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts