Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a ton of guys on the forum have had their car to the track. I also know a ton of those guys are not giving money away (or I can safely assume so) and their cars are their daily driver or only transportation.

That being said am I missing something or does your insurance not cover anything that may or could happen when you are running your car down the quarter?? Is everyone just taking the chance that they won't be the one guy that screws up or blows a street tire?

I'd love to do it but if my insurance doesn't cover it I can;t see myself putting $40 grand at risk...

Am I missing a secret or is there coverage available or something?

Eric

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
insurance

Eric,
No insurance company will cover your car once your going down the track. Also when you sign in at the track your assuming the risk not the track owner. If someone runs into your car their not legally responsible. It's the risk each of us take when drag racing. It is costly!!!But man is it fun.

I know a ton of guys on the forum have had their car to the track. I also know a ton of those guys are not giving money away (or I can safely assume so) and their cars are their daily driver or only transportation.

That being said am I missing something or does your insurance not cover anything that may or could happen when you are running your car down the quarter?? Is everyone just taking the chance that they won't be the one guy that screws up or blows a street tire?

I'd love to do it but if my insurance doesn't cover it I can;t see myself putting $40 grand at risk...

Am I missing a secret or is there coverage available or something?

Eric

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I could have sworn I heard something like "if its a timed event, your insurance will not cover it". So I assume you can put NT on your windows so that your not timed, or your time isn't displayed

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
As for providers, very few actually do. USAA (mine) does not nor will it cover any type of timed track runs.

NASA, SCCA, and NHRA have limited liability coverages (basically medical harm to you or others) but not to vehicles.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Chris,
Call any insurance company and ask. I think you'll find you're not covered once your at the track and in the pits. If someone does provide affordable coverage please post who. I will buy some too. Also next time you're at the track and going through the gate to pay and they hand you the form to sign, read the small print before signing. Most tracks are required to carry insurance but it is mainly medical for CYA. Good luck

I could have sworn I heard something like "if its a timed event, your insurance will not cover it". So I assume you can put NT on your windows so that your not timed, or your time isn't displayed

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm not going to advise as to how insurance companies cover your car, or even if it's a good idea to take it to the track.

I can say this though: after zooming around road courses and 1/4 mile tracks for decades I've only seen one guy- ever- total his street car. Was a brand new 300Z with a couple hundred miles on it. Pounded it head on into a concrete barrier in 1987 at Laguna Seca. First time I was made aware that airbags will burn the crap out of your inner forearms if you're not wearing long sleeves. And no- it wasn't me. : )

Most road courses now have really long run off areas. The most you're going to damage your car is maybe a front spoiler from killing a cone. Might cram a bunch of dirt into the crevices if you really fling it off the track. You have to be doing something pretty special to toss it onto the roof.

And here's an idea: don't bet something you can't afford to lose. Maybe back it off a couple tenths where you might smack a hard track barrier.

That all said-- the number of guys bending sheet metal on the street is cosmically greater than the number of road cars you see even mildly dented from a day on the road course or 1/4 mile track.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Track Insurance Including Motorsports for your car, read small print "Collision coverage is unheard of as an aspect of racecar or track insurance." medical is different story. If you play you may pay. I pray not to pay for anyone of us. Good luck to all this race season.
Blue,
Sorry, I just read the Lockton HPDE Insurance Program maybe that is worth investigating. One event coverage for a $60,000 car was around $360.00 with a $1500.00 deductable.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Chris,
Call any insurance company and ask. I think you'll find you're not covered once your at the track and in the pits. If someone does provide affordable coverage please post who. I will buy some too. Also next time you're at the track and going through the gate to pay and they hand you the form to sign, read the small print before signing. Most tracks are required to carry insurance but it is mainly medical for CYA. Good luck
I'm not worried, I don't plan on having a reason to call the insurance company lol. I was just stating a rumor that I heard. Ive never even considered putting N/T on my windows! Heh

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
First i have ever seen INS for track use ? Think its great to be available. Im one of the many who chance it. 40g ++
I know mine, "Farmers" track wreck, no pay. + If it happens its time to do a full chassis, cage, tubs, narrowed 9in.
FT

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Iron6, I heard about track INS last year. I think at Road America website link. They have quite a few events there for car clubs to race. I sure would like to take my car on the track there. I was doing a search and found the 3rd link on Lockton HPDE.

On side note, wonder if Speedy has checked on the track ins. with the 1st link I posted for CF2.

Road America track event. Scroll down to the black Lexus.

http://www.club-cow.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=558&sid=c625215011b0c24785c7db3d4dae8d67

·
Registered
112 Posts
If your worried about wrecking and the car being covered by insurane you probably shouldnt be racing......but you can always get an NHRA membership and you will have 500k ini insurance in case something happens....i donlt remember if it covers the car or jusst medical but either way its 60$ and no worries about medical stuff for sure.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
If your worried about wrecking and the car being covered by insurane you probably shouldnt be racing......but you can always get an NHRA membership and you will have 500k ini insurance in case something happens....i donlt remember if it covers the car or jusst medical but either way its 60$ and no worries about medical stuff for sure.
ha! if i didnt do stuff cause i was worried about it, i wouldnt ever do hardly anything. Just cause i worry doesnt mean I wont or shouldnt do it. I do try to minimize my risk when doing risky activities so actually thinking about it and planning contingencies is not a bad idea

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
If you put your car on the track, I wouldn't count on there being any insurance for it. I know my State Farm agent told me any timed event is absolutely not covered.

Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There are several companies that cover you while at the track, but none that I know of will cover while actually going down the track. If anyone is considering purchasing any of this type of insurance make sure you know what you are getting.
When I was looking a few years back, every insurer clearly stated once you drive onto the track until you leave off the track you are not covered. While on the grounds not racing you are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Best suggestion read your policy closely. If it is not specifically excluded insurance has to pay. Been handling claims for 20 yrs now. Most insurance companies do include an exclusion for timed events. However, driving around the pits is covered. I've handled many claims of this nature. The waivers you sign when you enter are not worth the paper they are written on. I've paid for race car damage from pit accidents when my insured was at fault and also subrogated the at fault party when they7 were at fault and damaged my insureds car. The pits are nothing more than private property and the rules of the road still apply. Many people have the misconception that when an accident occures on private property they don't have to pay.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'm finding out more about this company and policy, but I found them in the most recent Grassroots Motorsport magazine.

http://www.hartlandinsurancegroup.com/

From short discussion, it's full car coverage and can pay for 3-day events (or 3 days spread out) with 5 events having discounts. I should have more over the next few days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man up and run the car. You only live once. Enjoy the excitement of legal racing, and if you wreck, it will be a great story (in 60 months).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts