Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire Sipes

One of the smallest features with some of the biggest benefits is the sipe, sometimes called a tire kerf. A sipe is a small slit in the tire’s tread block that creates additional tread surface area for increased grip in wet, icy, and snowy conditions.
Cost $15 per tire and there's added benefit ??Better cooling of your tires on hot road surfaces and longer tire life.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Traction in the snow(Sipping)

Just had the first snow in Colorado and I took out my 2012 RT for a drive. This car handles better than my 69 Torino . Just don't floor it when pulling off and don't stomp on the break to stop.
Will still get my tires sipped today for added traction??Way more fun with Traction control turned off ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Confused about your ? marks after your sentences.

I had this done to my VW Passat many years ago. Didn't seem to make much difference in the snow. Real snow tires not only have sipes but are made with a softer material so that they stay pliable in lower temps unlike our 3 season tires that come stock.

I run Michelin X-Ice tires during winter months.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,870 Posts
There is nothing like quality snow tires, (e.g., Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice), for traction on snow or ice. All-season doesn't mean the tire has great performance in all seasons. It means that the tire is a compromise- wet grip to gain some mobility in snow. Also,the snow traction of all-season tires varies from great to almost none. The solution to the winter or snow tires vs. all season tires question will depend on where you live and the conditions in which you drive. If you only see a few snow flurries each year and slick and icy roads are more of a fluke, all season tires are probably the way to go. But if you know there’s a period when icy roads are always an issue, dedicated snow tires are the way to go.

When mounting winter tires for the season, always install a full set. Just changing out the front tires increases the likelihood that the rear tires will skid. Likewise, just putting snow tires on the rear wheels could cause the front tires to lose traction and make it impossible to steer your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
13,870 Posts
Of course, studded snow tires give you the best traction on ice or snow.

Watch this video where a Hellcat sets a world's record of 170 mph on ice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts