Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody and i haven't been able to get it to hook up, especially at the Drag Strip. I should have asked first but I just had a set of Nitto NT555R11's in 305/35x20 installed today in the hope that I can Test and Tune this coming Friday. Can anyone give me a base Tire pressure to start out with?

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
591 Posts
Launch is tough on 20" rims, since they won't wrinkle and load up any energy. With sidewalls that stiff, airing down doesn't do as much as with a taller tire. If you really want track performance, get a set of 18" rims for the rear and put some drag radials on them (how the Demons came out of the factory). That will get you into the 11s.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
If you take that approach, aren't bead locks required?
Really, don't know. Trying to learn. :unsure:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
672 Posts
A drag radial wouldn't need bead locks at any reasonable tire pressure. A drag radial still has enough sidewall stiffness that it doesn't need to be clamped to the rim. If a person wanted to run slicks at low pressure, then bead locks might be a good idea. Back in the day, a friend had a '70 Coronet R/T (440, 4 speed), and I found that he ran low pressure in his rear tires in a futile attempt to hook up with street tires. One day, we were running at high speed (125 or so, the vent window always flipped almost shut at that speed), and I noticed the rear of the car seemed to be floating. I asked him how much tire pressure he was running, and he said about 10 or 12 pounds. This was on bias ply tires, the ones you could look at to see if they had enough pressure.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody and i haven't been able to get it to hook up, especially at the Drag Strip. I should have asked first but I just had a set of Nitto NT555R11's in 305/35x20 installed today in the hope that I can Test and Tune this coming Friday. Can anyone give me a base Tire pressure to start out with?
Start out with something like 30 psi and

1) do a burnout on a surface that will show the black marks pretty well.

2) Inspect the black marks for a consistent contact patch across the width of the track.

3a) If the track has a blank spot running down the center, the tire pressure is too low. Increase by a few PSI and go back to 1).

3b) If the black mark is solid down the center but isn’t consistent all the way to both sides, the PSI is too high. Decrease the tires’ pressure and go back to 1).

Once you are laying down black marks that are solid from one side to the other of the contact patch, you are the optimum PSI for that tire, regardless of what it actually is.

Also, don’t be surprised if you find the optimum PSI is the same as what is spec’d for normal, daily driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts