Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beaten to death. So figured I'd get a couple more whacks in on the dead horse.

I've done a fair amount of reading, as well as gone through the drive mode supplements with the manual. It seems that dodge is intentionally vague/obscure about exactly how their various traction control modes work. Liability reasons? Seems plausible.

So I tried doing my own testing. I found that sport mode, as well as just pressing the traction control off button, had limited to no noticable impact on the cars ability to break traction.

Track mode appeared to give me actual wheel spin, but clearly still held back. Enough that you couldn't really get in trouble.

Pressing and holding the traction control for five seconds until the chime appears to be the holy grail of spinning the tires freely.

Until today, when I was in track mode, I got a little aggressive in first, turning onto a side road and nearly put it in the ditch. Not actually that close but it definitely went sideways and took me by surprise as up to this point the car had given no indication that track mode would have allowed this.

Now, I'm not blaming dodge, I am fully responsible for what happens while driving a powerful rear wheel drive car. It's just more difficult to predict the cars behavior than it I feel like it should be. Maybe it's due to the sue happy nature of the current population that dodge has to do it this way.

Or maybe the car is just too smart for me 🤷‍♂️.

PS, all my tests were done legally. In Canada. 🍁

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is my under standing that sport only reduces the traction control and leaves ESP in full effect. Track mode reduces both and when holding the button for 5 seconds ti turns both all the way off.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,076 Posts
Wonder if it is an auto trans thing? On my 2015 RT M6 turning off traction control would allow me to do burn outs with no issues. Although trying to do donuts you can feel ESP fight you.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder if it is an auto trans thing? On my 2015 RT M6 turning off traction control would allow me to do burn outs with no issues. Although trying to do donuts you can feel ESP fight you.
Mine is a manual as well. Also even when I do have it full off I wouldn't describe it as able to do burnouts "with ease". But to be fair I've never done a burnout on dry pavement before so maybe what I'm expecting is wrong.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,076 Posts
If you drop clutch and hammer at the same time you should have no problem smoking the tires. After upgrading with a super charger I started doing burnouts in 2nd and that is with TC off. When I enabled launch control using alfaobd I am now able to disable ESP by holding down the TC button (before I used the Tazer but that disabled ABS as well) which lets me do donuts with ease.

BTW did you remove the clutch delay valve? If not, I can see the clutch engagement being delayed and cause the clutch to slip before the wheels do.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still trying to learn what is "reasonable abuse" on these cars, as far as dumping the clutch and all. Like I said, never had a performance car before. Last manual I had was a 360 magnum gas truck, with a manual transmission and axles that were designed for the Cummins. So it didn't have enough power to do damage.

I have not done the clutch delay valve. I've seen it referenced, I need to do some research on it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,076 Posts
Basically CDV delays engagement of the clutch (i.e. promotes clutch slip to reduce drivetrain shock). Removed mine once I found out about it and hard acceleration clutch engagement improved greatly. Upgraded to barton, 1 piece drive shaft and diff brace which eliminated a lot of slop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts