Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if there have been threads about this, my computer is slow tonight and I didn't want to spend 45 minutes sifting through threads....

Straight up has anybody traded in their SE for an R/T? I've only had my 2011 for just over 2 months and I'm already debating on biting the bullet and doing it.. especially since the 2012's will be out soon, and I could probably get a decent deal on a 2011 R/T.

My challenger is pretty loaded... it has rallye & ss/t packages, sunroof, sound group II, electronics convenience group.....and well lets just say i probably payed just shy of a bare bones R/T for it with all the extra stuff.

It IS my daily (and only) driver... and I do a fair amount of driving.

So if anyone has done this can you give me the runaround for it? Maybe this discussion will talk me out of it, maybe not....... but I can't help but feel intense regret every time I see a Chally with a hemi pass me... i feel like I bought the muscle car without the muscle.

My concerns are- fuel economy difference (is it that different on an '11 R/T?), extra expenses for a larger engine, and what $$ i might LOSE on trade-in at the dealership. My car is pretty loaded, so I know they wouldn't have an issue selling it.....but I don't want to have just royally screwed myself out a certain $ percentage because I didn't get the hemi in the first place, you know?

Any help to clear my head will be greatly appreciated! < 3 I don't want to feel regret anymore!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would suggest hitting the dealership and finding out exactly what amount of difference you are going to have to pay.
That way you can argue reality with your desire.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
yes of course there are folks who have traded SE's for R/T's/SRT's

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
but I can't help but feel intense regret every time I see a Chally with a hemi pass me... i feel like I bought the muscle car without the muscle.
I know exactly what you mean. I had a 2010 SE, I loved the car, but the powers just wasn't there. So the short answer is if it's all about more power and going faster, then get a Hemi. If you can do it without getting raped by the dealer on the trade in, and are OK with the insurance and gas costs going up, I say do it. I did, and I haven't second guessed my decision.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I can't help but feel intense regret every time I see a Chally with a hemi pass me... i feel like I bought the muscle car without the muscle.
feeling a real Oprah moment here, maybe a man hug or something LOL...Dude either change your circumstances (buy a new car) or change your attitude about the one you bought.
pretty straight forward options

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha....but I'm actually a chick....
And I know there are people who have traded in, that is why I made the topic. I wanted to hear their experience with it and if it was worth it.. And I am still wondering if the gas mileage is significantly different on the '11 RT..?

Don't hate!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you want to dip into Pentastar power more easily, might I suggest getting more acclimated to using the autostick, select your gears manually, and focus on ways to put the engine at around 3800-4000-ish rpm, when you want power? You can't duplicate the low end torque of the Hemi, but you may find your v6 has more get up and go than you thought once you are hitting it square in sweetspot of its powerband.

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
haha....but I'm actually a chick....
And I know there are people who have traded in, that is why I made the topic. I wanted to hear their experience with it and if it was worth it.. And I am still wondering if the gas mileage is significantly different on the '11 RT..?

Don't hate!
Ah, so that explains the heart in your first post....

The mileage is not that much worse for the R/T....depending on how you drive it of course.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, but I've had my SE for a couple years. I'm afraid if I upgrade to an R/T, I'll end up wanting the SRT. Lol.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, but I've had my SE for a couple years. I'm afraid if I upgrade to an R/T, I'll end up wanting the SRT. Lol.
I have driven a 2009 SRT when it was new and a 2011 SRT just the other day, do I really want one? not really not for that price, I am perfectly happy with my RT with the shaker hood and go wing.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing, but after I figured how much I would lose on the trade, I went a different route. Modify that v6 with a turbo or supercharger. Have something different .

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm going to have to sit down at the dealership and really crunch numbers. Hopefully I can snag a deal on a 2011 once the 2012 stock comes in.... we'll see. I more or less made this topic to talk myself out of the whole thing lol .. should have went with what I had originally wanted! (my dad and brother had talked me out of the hemi...) *shakes fist*

MCS- jeeze, how much did a turbo run you?? That's awesome, but I feel like that might cost me just as much as an r/t upgrade at this point...?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to dip into Pentastar power more easily, might I suggest getting more acclimated to using the autostick, select your gears manually, and focus on ways to put the engine at around 3800-4000-ish rpm, when you want power? You can't duplicate the low end torque of the Hemi, but you may find your v6 has more get up and go than you thought once you are hitting it square in sweetspot of its powerband.
This is true. I played around with autostick for a bit only once, and couldn't quite figure it out.. seemed really sluggish- but then again i'm definitely not used to using it (and I just learned stick a few months ago...)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Unless you are running that v6 out with the throttle often, the transmission is only going to short-shift aggressively to upper gears to maximize your fuel economy. That's what it is programmed to do, as you drive about doing nothing special with the throttle. Hence, you aren't really dipping into what a "300 hp" engine can really do, in those kind of conditions. You are more dealing with around 120 hp, believe it or not.

When you pick your gears via autostick to deliberately hang inside the powerband, THAT's when you are really capitalizing on what a 300 hp engine can do. ;) Of course, you do so at the expense of fuel economy, but you should expect that as a simple matter of physics. You need fuel to make power...don't matter what engine it is.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Yeah I'm going to have to sit down at the dealership and really crunch numbers. Hopefully I can snag a deal on a 2011 once the 2012 stock comes in.... we'll see. I more or less made this topic to talk myself out of the whole thing lol .. should have went with what I had originally wanted! (my dad and brother had talked me out of the hemi...) *shakes fist*

MCS- jeeze, how much did a turbo run you?? That's awesome, but I feel like that might cost me just as much as an r/t upgrade at this point...?
The full install was much less than you will spend on a new R/T , and it will be faster.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My concerns are- fuel economy difference (is it that different on an '11 R/T?), extra expenses for a larger engine, and what $$ i might LOSE on trade-in at the dealership. My car is pretty loaded, so I know they wouldn't have an issue selling it.....but I don't want to have just royally screwed myself out a certain $ percentage because I didn't get the hemi in the first place, you know?
I bought traded in an 09 S/E for a 10 R/T 6 speed. As for your concerns, the 6 speed R/T gets slightly less mpg. If you would like to see the differences I kept track of every ounce of gas in both cars on fuelly.com. The R/T is here and the S/E is here. The averages are (were) 22.6 for the S/E and 21.7 for the R/T manual. Don't be mislead by the 27.8 on the R/T, that was going across Wyoming with a 50mph tailwind. The true R/T highway average is 25-26.

On the trade-in, your probably going to lose money no matter how your S/E is optioned. Same would be true if you were trading an R/T for an SRT. Fact is, usually, when you drive a new car off the lot the $ value just dropped because now that new car is a used car.

The question is how much are you willing to lose. I had added wheels, go-wing, gas cap, stereo and a few other things and I lost money on them all. Do I regret it? Not for a minute.

I liked the S/E when I bought it and it was what I needed at the time. Conditions and circumstances changed and I was in a position to buy the R/T. I wanted the HEMI and I wanted to shift... no regrets.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I was wondering this as well. Why don't people just buy a SE and then put a sc in it or turbo. Will that not make it faster than an RT?

that would have cost me more money up front than anything if I would have done that, on trading my SE I got $6000 more out of state then I was offered where I lived. and I am only paying $25 more a month on my payments, so I figured that was my best option.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I was wondering this as well. Why don't people just buy a SE and then put a sc in it or turbo. Will that not make it faster than an RT?
What DGibson said. You're talking 8k out of pocket that's not financed. Let's face it, the majority of car owners finance their car instead of paying cash. Yes there are those that do and more power to them. Eight Grand out of pocket is ok if that's your hobby and that's what you would spend your money on anyway. And R/T can be financed through and through. Go to a dealership and say, "I want this SE and an 8k turbo system installed and tuned by RDP in Ohio all financed together", and they will laugh at you." My Lease guy on the other hand back in the 90's.... would not laugh and you and say "let's do it". Times have changed, though.

As for MPG? I bet someone could get mid 20's out of a 6spd R/T combined. If they tried.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts