Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some advice on a trade situation?
I have a 2013 RT with chrome clad wheels, Auto, 6000 miles.which is paid for and still smells new. billet silver

I have located ( 60 miles away) a 2012 SRT 392 Tungsten pearl, A5, no Nav or sunroof ( which doesn't matter to me) It was sold by 1st owner to a Lincoln dealership supposedly for financial reasons

They are asking $37,500.00 but he says he might could (crunch the numbers some-?)

I really, really want the 470 hp 392. I would pay cash for the difference. Havnt seen the car yet but if it is in excellent condition and has a good history, Can anyone tell me what to look for and what kind of deal would you guys try for. I haven't ever driven a 392 and I am retired so it could be a daily driver or not.

Thanks, Kurt (Knifemaker)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If I were in your shoes: I would get the best possible deal on the used SRT and sell your RT privately. They are gonna rape you on your very new RT and make several thousands off both transactions.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Welcome to CT :)

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If I were in your shoes: I would get the best possible deal on the used SRT and sell your RT privately. They are gonna rape you on your very new RT and make several thousands off both transactions.
+1... Do your homework on what each should sell for, don't trade, sell privately.

·
Registered
627 Posts
How many miles on the srt if you want more power just put some mods on your car

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your gonna spend mad cash getting an RT on par with an SRT, do what was suggested sell the RT private.
no sense in giving the dealer more of your hard earned money.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Whats it cost to upgrade to an srt? And what's it cost for a supercharger you know your car you dont know a used one the previous owner could of beat the shit otta of it I know ppl who when the traded they cars in they would rip n tear it on purpose

·
Registered
442 Posts
RT for SRT

Keep in mind you are in for a loss no matter how you handle the transaction. Don't fixate on prices on srt or trade in, but do focus on the difference you have to bring to the table. Also think about what the initial price difference would have been if you would have bought the SRT instead of the RT....that is the number you need to keep in mind....You were going to pay more just work a price difference you can live with and do the deal. The SRT and RT are totally different. Now the R/T is a very fine car (I had one) but if your budget and desire allow you to upgrade then just do it and don't overanalyze it.....YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE SRT...the car is beyond words of performance, roomy, and functional

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
37500 for the 2012 SRT8 no nav or roof is the right price provided the miles are low 5k or less..

Not sure what your 2013 R/T has but I would think if its in the condition you feel it is, you should be able to get $33k for it.

I think a 4500 swing is a great deal for you.. Just run the VIN of the new car with your local dealer, see what has been done to it, and get a trade in/cash offer/voucher for your car from them.

If your dealer gives you a higher price for your car than the SRT8 dealer, bring it to them & tell them to match it & its a deal done!!

You can squeeze the SRT8 dealer for a better price on your trade, or a lower price for the SRT8.

Go for it!

I traded a 7 month 2013 R/T with 1700 miles, for a 2012 SRT8 last May & am LOVING IT!!

The SRT8 blows away the R/T in every respect, ride, power, comfort. Insurance was exactly the same too!

Good luck!!

Also no matter what, when a new car is sold, the dealer gets a $4k rebate so you can work into that.
Add the fact that you can tell the dealer that you know its a $2500 reduction for loss of model year so that car is now valued $5k less. They've been paying interest on that car for a while, trust me they want to get rid of it...

After all is said & done, tell them to just roll you into the SRT8 with no cost & see how it goes, using the above logic..
Make it sound like you're taking a car that is a loss to them & giving them a car that will re-coupe all the loss & turn a profit for them.. win win for both parties...!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Kurt, Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for all the replies . Let me add some info and modify my question and I'll try not to bother yall too much.
My RT has a corsa sport catback, Chrome SRT reproduction wheels with 275's that I would keep to go on a 392

Just a phone call pre-negotiation confirmed the salesman must think I am stupid--$26000 for my car and $36000 for the 2012 srt which has 11000 miles, no nav or sunroof. Probably this particular car is not the right deal. I may still go look at it

Now if I may ask a different question:
1)I love everything about my RT with appearance and sound. What I don't like is the throttle lag and less power than I really want. (And I will not do heavy mods etc.)
I only care about straight line acceleration ( not for racing but just fun)
I don't need Nav and don't want a sunroof I do like the park assist and would hate to lose that( on my RT)

2) I am retired and will not do another car note and my car is paid for.
I would be ok with a "CORE"" 392 ( I think- cause I don't care much about bells and whistles

3) I don't like selling a car privately but I know I would get more for it( It is really nice and maybe with the forum and all it wouldn't take too long. I don't know

###SOOO here is the question??
How can I get an SRT used ( with low miles etc.) or a "CORE" by trading '13 RT and being willing
pay up to $10,000 cash or less

I know this is kind of a complex question but it really would mean a lot to me to get the car I really want for that money. It would be a (sort of) forever car for me. There is a limit to what I can pay cash but I long for the 392 and am always thinking about it.
Any help really is appreciated, Kurt

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Tell the salesman you can make a $4k swing, thats it..
Stand firm.
Let him work the #'s....
Don't go up to $5k if they offer, or they might offer a $6k deal and ask to meet in the middle at $5k..

$4k swing for a car with average mileage (11k), and 2 model years old is enough with your 2013 car in trade..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is what I was thinking in the beginning. This car is at a Lincoln Dealership ,not Dodge. Would that make it harder to bargain with them for another Challenger?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts