Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a gorgeous Granite R/T in March. Sticker was $39,188. Zero down. Kicking myself for not getting a red Scat Pack and now seriously considering trading one for the other. I've been to a few sites that offer trade values but most don't have 2015's listed at all and KBB doesn't have the '15 challenger.

So I ask....what can I expect the range to be on my trade in. Car has 2750 miles and is pristine. A8,cold weather pkg,STP,DCG,8.4,sunroof,SG.

I realize I'm entering the world of negative equity by doing this but I want a better idea of how deep of a bath I'm going to take.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The only way you can keep it "a bath" is to sell to a private party and then buy the new ride. Trying to trade it in will result of the bath becoming a deep ocean canyon.

·
Premium Member
9,148 Posts
The only way you can keep it "a bath" is to sell to a private party and then buy the new ride. Trying to trade it in will result of the bath becoming a deep ocean canyon.
Doing this will be a loss of sales tax credit from current car so the replacement car gets a full tax bill. In the end selling privately including acquiring title to sell isn't worth the hassle.
There is no way to come out of this without taking a BIG hit.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You don't have to be. I traded a 15 for a 15 on Saturday and came out ahead. Just make sure everything goes right. I'll admit I got a pretty bad deal on the first 15 and got a damn killer deal on this one, but it is doable.

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't have to be. I traded a 15 for a 15 on Saturday and came out ahead. Just make sure everything goes right. I'll admit I got a pretty bad deal on the first 15 and got a damn killer deal on this one, but it is doable.
Without getting into your personal finances, can you give me any ballpark figures for a trade value? Am I looking at $28k, $30k, $32k?

I know each deal is unique but I need to walk into a dealer knowing what's a good deal or a horrible one. I'm kind of blind here. Can't find any used '15's on dealer lots to get a general idea either.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Without getting into your personal finances, can you give me any ballpark figures for a trade value? Am I looking at $28k, $30k, $32k?

I know each deal is unique but I need to walk into a dealer knowing what's a good deal or a horrible one. I'm kind of blind here. Can't find any used '15's on dealer lots to get a general idea either.
I paid 26.7 for a base 15when they first came out. They gave me 25.6 as a trade in after an initial offer of 24, which was very fair. I paid 26.6 for the gray car new in November. The new car stickered at 30 and they paid the old car off and gave it to me at 26.7. Basically, aside from payments and mods, it cost me 123$ to own my gray 15 for 8 months .And this car costs 2K more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@KingintheNorth I am in the same boat as you are. $0 down, 1.9%, and I only own the car since January. I couldn't find any info about a '15 to get an idea of how much I'll be loosing on the trade.
@rghoskins Did you tell them you do an upgrade when you first walk in?

I never did an upgrade (or trade in) where I still owe money on the trade-in car.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
@KingintheNorth I am in the same boat as you are. $0 down, 1.9%, and I only own the car since January. I couldn't find any info about a '15 to get an idea of how much I'll be loosing on the trade.
@rghoskins Did you tell them you do an upgrade when you first walk in?

I never did an upgrade (or trade in) where I still owe money on the trade-in car.
I took the gray car in for it's first oil change and found the black STP car on the lot.

·
Registered
875 Posts
To the OP
The first thing I will do is try Carmax to get an estimate.....after that go try couple of Dodge dealers to get you an estimate on "only" buying your car NOT trade in......after you should have a fair price...after you done Carmax and 2 or 3 Dodge dealers go to the Dodge that has the car you want and negotiate with them.....
If you don't get what you want to get then walk away n they will try to give you a better deal.....between you n I we know whats the least you will take...so be firm and don't let them push u around.....

Last sales person told me a secret "why do you think car salesman have Sunday off, because we need to go to church and confess our sins from lying all week lol".......it's their job to lye so don't give up

Good luck

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
wow..you paid 39k for a Rt. A little more and you were there with a 392 Scat.
You will take a hit for sure. Work hard to get as much as you can. I think you will get 31k trade-in for your car. 33k if you sell privately.
The bonus to this is that you learned your lesson for the future.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
To the OP
The first thing I will do is try Carmax to get an estimate.....after that go try couple of Dodge dealers to get you an estimate on "only" buying your car NOT trade in......after you should have a fair price...after you done Carmax and 2 or 3 Dodge dealers go to the Dodge that has the car you want and negotiate with them.....
If you don't get what you want to get then walk away n they will try to give you a better deal.....between you n I we know whats the least you will take...so be firm and don't let them push u around.....

Last sales person told me a secret "why do you think car salesman have Sunday off, because we need to go to church and confess our sins from lying all week lol".......it's their job to lye so don't give up

Good luck
Try this, but instead of going to the dealers, just price the SP on Truecar. easier and same results. Then fing your car at a true car dealer, and go make the trade.

Man , am i glad i got my SP when i did. Everything i thought would happen, happened- no B5, no A8s, S/Ps no S/Ps on dealer lots. etc. Can't wait to long. 'cause once the 2016s roll around, you'll loose value. Good Luck.

·
Registered
GCM 2015 Challenger
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow..you paid 39k for a Rt. A little more and you were there with a 392 Scat.
You will take a hit for sure. Work hard to get as much as you can. I think you will get 31k trade-in for your car. 33k if you sell privately.
The bonus to this is that you learned your lesson for the future.
No, no. The sticker was 39,188. With Chrysler rewards and negotiating I paid under 36 for it.

You're right though, I should have held out and got the SP when I could.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Typical trade in value on a current year model car is Invoice price minus current rebates minus 4k for depreciation. Thats how we used to do it when I was in the Car business.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
my guess is your going to take a 25% hit on the trade give or take. Your going to lose either way, just depends on how much. But sometimes be happy and having what you want is more important.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
This...do this...

To the OP

Good luck

I did this exact same procedure listed above. I traded a low mileage 13' RT (7K miles) for a 14' SRT. I was able to get a good price on the SRT (talked them down from $46K to $42K). I got a lower interest rate on the SRT finance (1.25%) vice my 3.5% on the RT.

All in all. I did take a $3K hit (tallied up all the charges/taxes/trade in loss, etc). I don't regret doing this.

My rationale: Brembo plus Blower would have costed me more than trading up. IF, however, I ONLY wanted more power (STP brakes are adequate), I'd have gotten a Maggie and run it on 6 psi boost (and bought Magnusson engine warranty). That would have been cheaper than an upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts