Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys:

My lease was up on my 2015 Scat Pack (Billet Silver/A8), and wanted to get my payments down a little so ordered a 2018 R/T 5.7L (Destroyer Gray/A8 with Super Track Pak). I was reluctant to do so because I had a '14 base R/T A5 without STP just before the Scat Pack and didn't find it very satisfying. Lots of body roll in the corners coupled with understeer (tires were Firestone Firehawk GT's). Plus it developed a tick clearly heard inside the cabin...never found out if it was lifters, broken exhaust manifold bolts, etc. Traded for the SP which was problem-free all three years (except for the RS-A2's...they were awful). But after replacing with Continental DW's with 275's in the rear (245 in front) solved the traction problem. The car was a hoot to say the least...loved it.

I must say I'm more than delighted with the 2018...no regrets as my DD. The active exhaust sounds even better (IMO) than the SP's, and has a deeper, throatier sound just with normal throttle. I noticed this as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. It doesn't have the hellacious cold-start bark of the SP, but that's good because I live in a townhome community and leave at 5:30 am for work. Always had to do the remote start with the garage closed with the SP. Also, the MDS isn't quite as "buzzy" on the 5.7 as it was on the 6.4, and the idle is smoother on the 5.7 (milder cam, I assume). As far as handling, it is much crisper than I was expecting (thanks to the STP and F1's). In fact, I'd say it has even sharper turn-in than the SP, but a hair more roll than the SP. Not by much, though. The general ride is also a hair softer but again, not by much. Only 520 on the clock, but mileage is 1-2 mpg better so far...too early to tell, really. I'll reassess at several thousand miles when fully broken-in. The rear end of the 2018 is quieter than the 2015, even though it's the same unit. Rear end noise on these cars is luck of the draw. Some Royal Purple 75-90 helped a little with the 2015, though.

Two issues so far, though...a somewhat glitchy 7 inch UConnect system (freezes, reboots itself, doesn't turn off on a few occassions), and a rattle under certain RPM/load combinations. Not sure if it's a heatshield or what, but doesn't sound like a drivetrain noise. I will get a good look underneath when I do my 1K oil change. The 8.4 inch on the SP worked flawlessly, but I've read threads here of a number of people who have had issues with it and apparently with the new 7 inch display also. No software updates available yet on the UConnect website, so I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Bottom line...for a DD that doesn't get tracked or raced, I couldn't be happier with my choice. And the Destroyer Gray looks awesome!

Cheers!

Ken

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. You don't have the same rear end with your R/T since you bought an auto. All Scat Packs (auto and manual) have a limited slip diff (posi) but you can only get the LSD on a 5.7 car if you get a manual transmission. This would be why you're not hearing as much growl coming from the diff on your 5.7 car.

The infotainment screen on the '17+ cars are a PITA. My '17 freezes and reboots all the time. I need to take it in for a re-flash but I don't feel like taking the time to go the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations! I like that the newer R/T's have the active exhaust. That could have changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Same here. I know after market exhaust is relatively cheap, but I am glad the new RT's sound great out of the box.

Right, I don't car how they do it........they DID it! More power to them. My Scat has shorty headers, not sure if that is part of it. Hope so.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your old Scat Pack and new R/T have the same exhaust from the factory. To say one is better than the other has no merit.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Brave man, I am more then happy with my 5.7 but I would have a tough time stepping down an engine. Glad it worked out for you. Put 400 miles on mine a week as a DD.

Love destroyer gray, its the color I wanted when I got my 13 granite.

AS for the radio, check for an update and you can run the patch yourself with a USB stick. It fixed my problems with the freezing.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on the new ride. You don't have the same rear end with your R/T since you bought an auto. All Scat Packs (auto and manual) have a limited slip diff (posi) but you can only get the LSD on a 5.7 car if you get a manual transmission. This would be why you're not hearing as much growl coming from the diff on your 5.7 car.

The infotainment screen on the '17+ cars are a PITA. My '17 freezes and reboots all the time. I need to take it in for a re-flash but I don't feel like taking the time to go the dealership.
Thanks, MCP! Good info. I assume then that my '18 A8 has a "brake-controlled" rear end to simulate a mechanical LSD? I doubt it's as good as a proper LSD the manuals have, but I'm sure it helps. Now my 2009 300C SRT8...that was a howler! After trying about six different rear end fluids, finally Royal Purple 75W-140 quieted it down to an acceptable (barely) level.

I know what you mean about having to visit the dealer...I avoid it if at all possible. Have any Uconnect updates been released for your system through their website since you've had the car? I did a manual update on my 2015 when they released a fix for the hacking problem shortly after I bought it, and then there was an automatic "over the air" update earlier this year for it. But I never had any issues with it whatsoever. But on my '18 with the 7 inch display, mine acts up 2-3 times a week, and the symptoms are never always the same. But a couple of times when it acted up, I got a chime with a message that cross-path detection is unavailable with the yellow triangles in my side mirrors both illuminating during it. I'll keep checking the Uconnect website for updates, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll be anything soon :-(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your old Scat Pack and new R/T have the same exhaust from the factory. To say one is better than the other has no merit.
I would have thought so also....can't explain it. As I understand it, the 6.4L also has factory "shorty headers", which have to make a difference by itself over how it sounds versus 5.7L. But after having had my '15 SP or three years, it was noticeable right away on my '18. And I like to floor it in underpasses on occassion (can't resist with no other traffic around), and the '18 has a touch more rasp to it. So there is a slight difference, but they both sound fantastic!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the Auto-up window feature work?
Sadly, the auto-up feature doesn't work...same system as on my 2015. I'd hear a while ago that the 2018 Challengers would get the auto-up feature...maybe a mid-year change? Minor detail, but a little bummed it didn't make it into mine (which was built in October).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree The Destroyer Grey looks great it is my second favorite Grey next to Granite! Here is my Destroyer Grey GT and my Granite Scat Pack.
Love both colors! I have to admit I was on the fence about Destroyer Gray, probably because my '13/'14/15 Challengers were all Billet Silver. When I told my wife I was ordering another silver one, she suggested the gray to change things up a little. Glad she did! The GT in your third picture has standard Scat Pack wheels on it...did those come from your Scat Pack when you replaced those wheels?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I would have thought so also....can't explain it. As I understand it, the 6.4L also has factory "shorty headers", which have to make a difference by itself over how it sounds versus 5.7L. But after having had my '15 SP or three years, it was noticeable right away on my '18. And I like to floor it in underpasses on occassion (can't resist with no other traffic around), and the '18 has a touch more rasp to it. So there is a slight difference, but they both sound fantastic!
On a different thread, one of the moderators mentioned that a Dodge insider told him that the 5.7 active exhaust is different than the 6.4 version and that the factory engineers did a few tweaks to make it nastier. you're not the first person to notice that the 5.7 active system is louder than the 6.4 system.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does sport mode disable MDS in the 2018 5.7 like it does with the 6.4?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does sport mode disable MDS in the 2018 5.7 like it does with the 6.4?
Yes, sport mode disables the MDS on the '18 just like the 6.4. I've also noticed the active exhaust is tuned to open a bit more agressively on the '18...and they feel open nearly all of the time in sport mode. On my '15, I had to be near full-throttle in normal mode before I heard the AE's open up. MuscleCarProf just above confirmed that the new exhaust on the 5.7's were definitely tweaked to be gnarlier...totally agree based on my short four weeks of ownership.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Love both colors! I have to admit I was on the fence about Destroyer Gray, probably because my '13/'14/15 Challengers were all Billet Silver. When I told my wife I was ordering another silver one, she suggested the gray to change things up a little. Glad she did! The GT in your third picture has standard Scat Pack wheels on it...did those come from your Scat Pack when you replaced those wheels?
Yes I am running the stock wheels from the Scat Pack because they have 245/45 summer tires. I have switched back to the Gt wheels with their 235/55 all season tires for the winter. The 20" wheels have an offset of 25.5mm the GT AWD wheels are 55mm so the Scat Pack wheels stick out of the wheel wells a little but that just gives it a wider track and even better handling. Here is my Gt rear track with the GT wheels and with the Scat Pack wheels.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts