Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my RT but i I'm thinking of trading it in for a older model jeep SRT8 . I drove it today and love it but I hear differential whine not tires
Jeep has higher milage than my Challenger but it hauls ass and I can use the jeep for more tasks and camping.

Is this a wise move ?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
define wise and define what you are doing with the vehicle. Also is there a cost savings? Is this your only car, and whats the use of vehicle or others you have? What is condition and mileage of both vehicles? Everybody's circumstance is different.

With that said if I had only one car the unwise purchase would be the challenger specially the fact I am married have family, live where this is snow, I like to hunt, fish, camp, and the fact I need something to haul items from time to time, so a car specially a two door car would be the last thing in the world I would buy.

Without knowing more I don't think its a wise choice to trade down per say to an older car with more mileage, you essence went from a 5 year old car with probably 50k on it to a 11 year old car with probably close to 100k on. The one caveat to that would be if you realized some cost savings in purchase price, because you wont probably see a cost savings in mpg and maint, in fact you will probably see the opposite. But if you received a large cost savings (and don't think cost per month that's a poor gauge, IM talking cost to purchase the total) and the challenger had some issues and dumping it was the best answer than maybe a wise choice.

Lastly this is not to dog you, and the SRT jeeps are cool. But with that said SRT jeeps, and other special trim SUVs and trucks IMO are large waste of money. You pay significantly more for something that maybe goes a little faster, in this case a used vehicle a faster 11 year old jeep, I just don't see it. The better purchase if you still wanted all the bells and whistles would probably the next trim level down. Then again the caveat is if you got a screaming deal, say something with low miles and cheaper than other trims out there. This basically speaking from a financial stand point, the jeep ultimately can do more than a challenger so in general is a more of a wise buy. Is this a toy or second or third car at that point its toy buying and all toys are dumb to buy really.

Then again you cant put a price on fun and everybody financial situation is different, car buying in general specially sports car is very illogical and unwise at its core.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True !

define wise and define what you are doing with the vehicle. Also is there a cost savings? Is this your only car, and whats the use of vehicle or others you have? What is condition and mileage of both vehicles? Everybody's circumstance is different.

Everything you said

With that said if I had only one car the unwise purchase would be the challenger specially the fact I am married have family, live where this is now, I like to hunt, fish, camp, and the fact I need something to haul items from time to time, so a car specially a two door car would be the last thing in the world I would buy.

Without knowing more I don't think its a wise choice to trade down per say to an older car with more mileage, you essence went from a 5 year old car with probably 50k on it to a 11 year old car with probably close to 100k on. The one caveat to that would be if you realized some cost savings in purchase price, because you wont probably see a cost savings in mpg and maint, in fact you will probably see the opposite. But if you received a large cost savings (and don't think cost per month that's a poor gauge, IM talking cost to purchase the total) and the challenger had some issues and dumping it was the best answer than maybe a wise choice.

Lastly this is not to dog you, and the SRT jeeps are cool. But with that said SRT jeeps, and other special trim SUVs and trucks IMO are large waste of money. You pay significantly more for something that maybe goes a little faster, in this case a used vehicle a faster 11 year old jeep, I just don't see it. The better purchase if you still wanted all the bells and whistles would probably the next trim level down. Then again the caveat is if you got a screaming deal, say something with low miles and cheaper than other trims out there. This basically speaking from a financial stand point, the jeep ultimately can do more than a challenger so in general is a more of a wise buy. Is this a toy or second or third car at that point its toy buying and all toys are dumb to buy really.

Then again you cant put a price on fun and everybody financial situation is different, car buying in general specially sports car is very illogical and unwise at its core.
True

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I mainly look at vehicles in terms of financials and actual use in terms of being wise. Some people either got gobbs of money and good on them go for it, or people pinch and spend their life working for a car. But if you think about it the average American makes 57k a year, after taxes and other payroll deductions is taking home 40k, that's 1.2 million over a 30 year career. Average car payment is now $500 a month, if you kept with that for 30 years you would have spent 180k on just the purchase price of a vehicle or over 15% of your lifes income, or almost 5 years you spent working just for those cars. And that's not including 2000 bucks worth of gas a year, insurance and maint and repair, so that 180k easily probably closes in on 250k over a life time. I guess what I am getting at is people see things in the now and what I am paying per month, they aren't thinking they will make a finite amount through life and how that one car purchase affects their trajectory.

I'm not against selling and buying I do it all the time but I make more than the average and my spouse does as well, and I'm also ok with the accepting being an idiot with buying and selling. It just seems to be the norm to see these threads of should I buy this car here is my situation, or co workers or buddies buying 40-50k vehicles and I know they only make around 20-25 an hour and cant help but think of the hole they are putting themselves in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your opinions are greatly appreciated and I'm not mad. Just looking for opinions and help .
I'm at sharpest rides looking at a 2012 SRT8 jeep and or Tacoma 5.7 .

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, Jeeps get terrible gas mileage, like really bad. AWD and shorter gearing with the 5-speed auto, they rev pretty high on the highway. They are fun as hell though to drive around town and launch from lights...which makes them drink even more fuel LOL.

A 5.7 "Tundra" is a good pickup, but is that what you want/need? Toyotas hold value really well, best bet would be to try to buy one new at the most discounted price possible.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wife had a jeep Cherokee a few years back. All in all a great vehicle. one down side is the MPG it did worse than my truck, no thanks theres just as good if not better or similar suvs on the market that get 50-100% better MPG.

In regards to the SRT jeep. I don't really get purchasing 6-7 year old cars, assuming your finances can handle a newer ride. Even so like I said these one off trim vehicles are a colossal waste of treasure, your paying a lot for cool factor. Id be honest to say not sure many people are running around ohh and ahhing about srt jeeps as they drive by. I would gander you could probably buy a lesser trim like a grand Cherokee that's probably 3 years newer for the same price.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I am on the market for a pickup. I test drove a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road over the weekend. I wouldn’t recommend it. The interior is incredibly small. The seats are too close to the floor and the roof is too low; I hit my head getting in. The rear is even worse. At 6’0” I’m not particularly tall. The handling is decent for a truck, but the 3.5 V6 sounds just awful when you floor it.

I like the Chevrolet Colorado Z71/GMC Canyon much better: it is much more comfortable, drives more refined, handles and rides like a car. You pay thousands less and get more stuff on the Chevrolet/GMC than on a Tacoma.

I also drove a Toyota Tundra Limited TRD Offroad: handles well, feels solid and it is very well finished inside, but the average 14 MPG is atrocious. I like the 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie much better: the 5.7 Hemi takes off great and sounds awesome. The interior is phenomenal, and 17 MPG aint too bad.

Reactions: Klink

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
I am on the market for a pickup. I test drove a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road over the weekend. I wouldn’t recommend it. The interior is incredibly small. The seats are too close to the floor and the roof is too low; I hit my head getting in. The rear is even worse. At 6’0” I’m not particularly tall. The handling is decent for a truck, but the 3.5 V6 sounds just awful when you floor it.

I like the Chevrolet Colorado Z71/GMC Canyon much better: it is much more comfortable, drives more refined, handles and rides like a car. You pay thousands less and get more stuff on the Chevrolet/GMC than on a Tacoma.

I also drove a Toyota Tundra Limited TRD Offroad: handles well, feels solid and it is very well finished inside, but the average 14 MPG is atrocious. I like the 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie much better: the 5.7 Hemi takes off great and sounds awesome. The interior is phenomenal, and 17 MPG aint too bad.
If you’re looking at value for the dollar, you can’t beat the Nissan Frontier.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations.

I agree, Frontier is the cheapest of the bunch. But I just can’t get past the dirt cheap look and feel. The Walmart-grade interior, and the crude engine and transmission make my Jeep Wrangler feel like a Mercedes Benz.

The Tundra Limited TRD Offroad is well finished inside, handles confidently, and the roll-down rear window is a neat trick. But the average 14 MPG is 15 years behind everyone else. Particularly when the competition easily gets 18. And when you look at the competition, Tundra feels overpriced.

IMO dollar for dollar, both Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 and GMC Sierra 4x4 are much better buy than Toyota Tundra. The GMC rides smoothly and is impressively quiet and refine; it just handles like the Titanic. The Ram interior is as well-finished and handles as confidently as the Tundra, rides better than the GMC, and the 5.7 HEMI feels and sounds like the sports car of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations.

I agree, Frontier is the cheapest of the bunch. But I just can’t get past the dirt cheap look and feel. The Walmart-grade interior, and the crude engine and transmission make my Jeep Wrangler feel like a Mercedes Benz.

The Tundra Limited TRD Offroad is well finished inside, handles confidently, and the roll-down rear window is a neat trick. But the average 14 MPG is 15 years behind everyone else. Particularly when the competition easily gets 18. And when you look at the competition, Tundra feels overpriced.

IMO dollar for dollar, both Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 and GMC Sierra 4x4 are much better buy than Toyota Tundra. The GMC rides smoothly and is impressively quiet and refine; it just handles like the Titanic. The Ram interior is as well-finished and handles as confidently as the Tundra, rides better than the GMC, and the 5.7 HEMI feels and sounds like the sports car of the bunch.
That's the thing with Nissan and cars like KIA, they pack in all these bells and whistles in a cheap car, end of the day they are really junk cars and ratings show that. Toyotas I would never buy one but they are actually for the most part a well built vehicle.

GMC=chevy. Dad built them I built them a lot of people don't know realize that I am sure you do. Power train exact same, 90% of body panels the same. The only real difference is grill, wheels and some interior options. Chevy is the same truck and will save you 10%-15% for the same thing. GMCs are nice and would own one.

With that said Ive owned Ford, Dodge, and Chevy, all brand new in the last 5 years. But I usually go mid option level, XLTs, LTs etc. Actually have owned in the last 10 years, two chevys, two fords and one dodge. Not really a brand homer per say. F150 with the ecoboost is hands down the best performer, dodge and chevy offered similar performance. I would also say ford and chevy were of similar fit and finish with Dodge being a little more cheaply made by not much. My only real ding on the dodge was with the hemi was it was 14mpg vs the chevys typically were in the 16 range and the F150s Ive had, had been mid 17s.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Sadly the 5.7 RAM is out-performed by it's competitors regardless of how it feels and sounds, and you get your money back out of the Toyota when you sell is because they re-sale so much better than their American counterparts. Nissans and not that great or in demand...hence their price. This is all from someone who has only ever owned Toyota trucks though...so take that for what it's worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts