Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a White 2010 SE which i totally fell in love with looks wise, but was disappointed with performance wise as compared to competitors. 600 miles on it!!!!

Luckily i am able to afford about $150 more a month and really looking for an RT now that i have the chance, i wanted to get suggestions and opinions?

I want a Loaded RT, do they come in Furious Fuchsia or is that srt8 only?
if not my best bet will be plum crazy. hopefully i still find a good, even if its used 2010 challenger RT with under 5000 miles, that will assure a better price.

My current car is only a month old, so i hope to put the car down and finance the difference of the RT. such as im paying $390 at the moment so im thinking maybe with 8k more id be set? am i correct. so about $120 more a month?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found an orange rt which I really like and has black stripes, now where can I figure what my car is worth. A month old, 600 miles, no problems at all. All stock and is a stripped se?

Last but not least any dealer tricks done when doing this type of businesd of trades?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The mere fact that you bought a car will diminish the price. Dealers want to make a profit on every car sold, so be prepared to take a licking. I'd go back to the dealer where you bought it from and tell them the story. Dodge used to have a 60 return policy. Maybe that was last year. Don't ask us, you need to talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
where there is a will...there is a way... I originally had a 2007 Chrysler 300 and I fell in love with the Dodge Challenger when it came out. I shopped around and bought a loaded 2009 Challenger for $34,000 out the door March 2009...I owed $17,000 on my Chrysler and the dealer gave me $14000, so be prepared to take a hit...I had to pay the $3000 but I NEVER REGRETED IT...THE R/T IS FOR REAL!!!!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Glad you can afford an RT, but I feel bad for you. I think you will take a bath on the trade. FYI, I did a quick Google search for you on the 60-day return policy that Dodge had. I *think* it's expired, but I didn't dive in very deep. Here is the link I found:

Dodge - 60 Day Test Drive

I would definitely talk to the dealer you originally purchased from, they may have some sympathy and try to help you. Still I'd be prepared for the worst.

If you aren't happy with the trade-in a dealer quotes you, then I would try Carmax. While they are similar to a dealer trade-in, sometimes they hit higher and their offer is for CASH rather you buy one of their vehicles or not. Otherwise, start looking on KBB.com, NADA.com and Edmunds.com to assess the value. Even with only 600 miles on it, you have a "used" vehicle. With a value in hand, you could list on Craigslist.org or AutoTrader.com as a private party sale, which typically gains better than trade-in.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
While I understand your plight and sympathize, this is not a wise decision. You are going to take it in the shorts big time. Try to enjoy the car you have, and live with the decision you made to purchase it.

While not knowing anything about your personal financial situation, in the case of your 2010 you've got to be upside down with relation to what you paid vs what it's worth. If you're a young person, and want to ever purchase a home, quick trades like this will lead you down a slippery slope.

That said, it's your life, your money. I gave this advice to some young guys (don't know your age) back on the GTO forum when I owned one of those. A lot didn't want to hear it, some appreciated the candor. I'm just relaying what I know after 57 years on this planet.

I see a LOT of 2010 Camaros on the lot used. There are a LOT of people that went that route only to realize they hated the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a new '08 Charger R/T that was loaded. I liked the car a lot, and drove it for about 18 months. Then I drove the Challengers, and fell in love with the Challenger R/T six speed. I took a pretty good hit when I traded in my Charger, but what the hell, life is short you know? I've had my Challenger now for a year, and don't regret getting out of the Charger at all. I worked the financing so that my Challenger payment was just about the same size as my Charger payment so as not to affect the monthly cash flow any more than necessary. Of course the term of the Challenger loan had to be stretched out more to do this, but in the mean time I'm driving my Challenger. I plan to be driving my Challenger long after it is paid for, so what's the difference? I'm happy, and that's all that counts in my book.
DougT

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
You WILL take a huge hit I agree with the others. You best bet is to live with it for a few years as it will take a long time for you to even break even or sell it yourself. Other than that go back to the dealership you bought it from and maybe they will take some sympathy on ya to keep your business.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

You will probably find that a loaded R/T is about the same as a less optioned SRT8. If you do buy the R/T, get the Super Track Pack.

·
Banned
557 Posts

You will probably find that a loaded R/T is about the same as a less optioned SRT8. If you do buy the R/T, get the Super Track Pack.
FYI, when I first started exploring Challengers I did lots of research on the "Super Track Pack" and the "Track Pack". There is a difference. The main difference being the STP offers some additional suspension upgrades.

The tricky part is the only way to get STP on a 2010 RT is to either get a Classic RT or the Mopar 10 RT. The Mopar 10's are blacked out so FF is out on that I believe -- someone else can confirm as I didn't look at them since they were out of my price range and I didn't like their styling. However, you can find FF Classics if you look. With these, it seems FF with white stripes & white interior is the norm. Harder to find is FF with black stripes (available with the white or black leather). I think the most rare is FF w/ black stripes and black leather.

The normal Track Pack is available on any 6-speed with the 27F package, and from what I could tell an economical way to get into a Challenger (cloth, no fancy stereo, etc). That is what I'm buying and plan to upgrade the suspension later as money allows.

All that being said, if you find a way to make this trade/sell without committing financial suicide, then there is a FF RT Classic here in town. It looks good and runs like a raped ape...I know, I test drove it when checking out the Challengers and decided between stick or auto. Just the "pink" didn't fit my style preferences.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T For Sale | Tulsa OK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not true on the STP. I have a 2010 RT with the STP option and it isn't a Classic or the new 10. You can order the STP on any 2010 RT.

On trading in the SE, be prepared to take a $3k to $5k hit. I traded in a 2009 SE with 9000 miles on it and took a $3k hit which was worth it to me. How big a hit depends on how good of a deal you got on the SE to begin with. I had a fair deal on the SE to begin with so I took a smaller hit.

You can appraise your car online with NADA or KBB. I did get the dealer to give me $1000 over appraised value. You just have to work with them. Your best bet may be to wait until spring when people are looking to buy these cars and their value goes up.

Good luck with the deal.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Not true on the STP. I have a 2010 RT with the STP option and it isn't a Classic or the new 10. You can order the STP on any 2010 RT.
Are you sure? A few weeks I went to the online builder and couldn't configure STP without those options. I wonder if it was because I was wanting a "base" model RT w/o the leather (hence NOT the "J" package)?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I bought a new '08 Charger R/T that was loaded. I liked the car a lot, and drove it for about 18 months. Then I drove the Challengers, and fell in love with the Challenger R/T six speed. I took a pretty good hit when I traded in my Charger, but what the hell, life is short you know? I've had my Challenger now for a year, and don't regret getting out of the Charger at all. I worked the financing so that my Challenger payment was just about the same size as my Charger payment so as not to affect the monthly cash flow any more than necessary. Of course the term of the Challenger loan had to be stretched out more to do this, but in the mean time I'm driving my Challenger. I plan to be driving my Challenger long after it is paid for, so what's the difference? I'm happy, and that's all that counts in my book.
DougT
I'll have to respectfully disagree on the "life is short" segment. "Life is short" is used by a lot of people to justify doing something that doesn't make sense at the time, but they want to do anyhow.

Life is not short. In fact the younger you are, the longer you can expect to live. For me, at 57, maybe life is short. The original thread starter, although I don't know his age, I suspect is quite a bit younger than that. My point is that getting upside down on cars is a bad idea at any age, but especially when you're young and still have BIG expenses ahead of you in a few years, some of which unlike cars will APPRECIATE in value if you're smart.

When I wrote my original reply, I knew it probably wasn't what he wanted to hear; he wants to hear replies like yours that basically say go for it. I could not in good conscience advise that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
First off i appreciate all of your replies and i take into consideration each and every thought given, Thanks!

I understand i will be losing money and guess its the price i pay for maybe rushing into it a bit too early, i would go back to my dealer but the RT they have a brand new and fully loaded so the price is just too high.

But i did find another dealer with a basic RT Hemi Orange with Black Stripes and Matching orange rims. Looks very nice. It is a 2010 used with only 4000 miles. Price on it is 28k. So i'm thinking of talking with them and seeing what the best possible price they are willing to give for my car, if i find it to be just right then id just go with it.

____** So to answer many of yous main concern, Im a young 18 year old male, responsible yet in love with the RT-- Here is my take on it, the extra money that i will be having could be spent on mods and such but i figure why do all that when instead i can get an RT and it would equal or better than what mods may do to my Se.**___

Just to add, i looked at mustang 5.0 and before the challenger and at the end figured that being 18 and going for all that power was just too tempting, but after having my SE for a month, i have realize that i am not influenced by friends or engine power to speed at all unless having the opportunity where no real harm exists. -man, as much as i understand all of your points, i am leaning forward to still getting the RT and willing to keep it for 10+ Years with good care and maintenance. The Se i know for a fact that wont happen. Doneeee! sorry if its too long and

Thanks if you read all this:)

KBB.com gave me a trade in value of $21,000 and i find it to be just Perfect if of course Dealer agrees, but that will just have to be talked about.

·
Banned
557 Posts
It's your money and it's a free country, so spend as you like. However, I think noz34me makes some extremely valid points. More stuff you may not like to hear is that at 18 you think you have it all figured out, and then in a few years you will realize you didn't. That's cool, we have to grow up. I have a lot of hard learned lessons myself. But chew on what has been said before you pull the trigger.

At the least set a limit of what is "reasonable" to lose by trading up to an RT. If it costs $1,000 then that is one story. If it costs $5,000+ that is an entirely different story. And to be truthful, none of us know that number. I can tell you when I go to KBB and get a TRADE-IN value, it spits back the following to me:

Condition Value
Excellent $21,250
Good $20,100
Fair $18,100

I didn't know your options so I just plugged 600 miles and then hit get value. It may go up a few hundred bucks if you have something that I didn't check mark.

Now just because KBB says that is trade-in value doesn't mean you will get it. I'm sure most here will testify you are LUCKY to get this amount. Usually dealers buy vehicle on "black book" value which is basically auction value. Quick math is about 10-20% LESS than what KBB says trade-in value is. At least that is what I see in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Have you investigated the impact on your insurance? It might be higher on a vehicle with a V8.

The SE is a nice car. I could be happy with one. Personally, I don't think I'd take a hosing to upgrade to an R/T. If you do, you might do better to sell yours yourself and buy a used R/T from a private seller.

One benefit to trading is that you save sales tax on the amount of your trade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
trading SE for RT

I own an SE, I also sold challengers, the problem is that the se's value drops when you pull off the lot, what I did, I had my SE piped, which made a huge difference in its performance. I currently run super in it, so not only do I get great gas mileage but the high end is much faster. The muffler and the restrictors will slow the car down a ton. Plus it sounds so great. I put a delta 40 on with 2 tail pipes. I sounds amazing. Many people can't believe that it is a 6cyl. I wish you luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are you sure? A few weeks I went to the online builder and couldn't configure STP without those options. I wonder if it was because I was wanting a "base" model RT w/o the leather (hence NOT the "J" package)?
Could be, I did get the RT with upgraded package.

To the OP.

You have been given some great advice here, use it wisely. I will give you my 2 cents if you don't mind. When I traded in my SE for the RT I took a hit as stated earlier. Was it worth it? You bet, I'd do it again in a heart beat. I love my RT. Not that the SE was a bad car, it was great, but I love the extra hp. Plus I bought the RT in the color I wanted and got one with a sunroof that I originally wanted and didn't get.

The only thing I would tell you is this. When I buy new vehicles I either pay cash or I have enough money down so that I am never upside down on the loan. I did the same with my house. When I upgraded to the RT I had a lot of equity in my SE but I put down a big chunk of cash anyway to make sure I will stay in a positive equity position.

Life changes fast and you have to be prepared to make a move fast. Have you noticed all the short sales on houses? That will never happen to me if I can help it. Be prepared and plan ahead.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
OMG, 18???? If you aren't currently in the military, take those $$$$ and go to school! Ride this damnable recession out while you're getting an education. Even a 2 year technical school will pay you back many times over, and it will be easier for you to buy the car you want.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts