Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a stupid mistake thats seem plenty have made before too. I got the GT last winter with the mindset that RWD just wouldn't be possible in the PA area (not enough space for a spare beater atm)...and that the V6 would be fun enough :laugh2:. After more reading that I should of done to start with, along with talking to other Challenger owners in my area, it seems like RWD is fine in snow 9/10 times with some good winter or studded tires.

Eventually I feel like I will cave and trade up for the 6.4L, but I was hoping to get some answers from others that may of been in the same boat. You lose a good amount of money just taking a new car off the lot. That car value seems to stay the same up to a certain mileage, from what I can tell on KBB (not sure how accurate this is). Is there a rough mileage number where it actually starts depreciating again where if I wanted to trade up it would be a good time? Any year around drivers that actually have trouble in winter, even with great winter tires?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm in Jersey, so our weather is prob close to yours, 4 winters in my R/T with regular year round all season tires. We usually get a few snowfalls, and the roads usually plowed on the same day so no biggy

Where you at in PA, up in the mountains?

Cars are different these days, they start to slip the computer knows what to do.

As for mileage, what is certain mileage you speak of? I'm guessing 20k?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
Depends really on area, not just the mileage. Here in Arkansas the resale value is very high on Challengers (and they are everywhere here), in fact dealers here are asking almost the same amount on a used one as you can get brand new!!! I will put a disclaimer now that most of the lots here only sell SXT and R/T models with a sprinkling of T/As and Scat Packs, either 5.7 or 6.4. Occasionally there will be a Hellcat or a 6.4 Shaker.

I think using KBB Trade-in is fairly accurate these days, a few years ago, nope! It's what ever you can negotiate, always negotiate the best price for the new one before you ever talk about your trade-in, treat them as completely separate transactions, most dealers don't like that because it hurts their negotiating tactics which of course is always in their favor. As to time of year, a buyers market is towards the end of the year and sellers market towards the warmer weather as it approaches. Being a GT, most folks won't think about an AWD till it gets cold and the threat of snow or ice comes into the equation, heck Dodge didn't even start selling GTs until Jan 2017!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Jersey, so our weather is prob close to yours, 4 winters in my R/T with regular year round all season tires. We usually get a few snowfalls, and the roads usually plowed on the same day so no biggy

Where you at in PA, up in the mountains?

Cars are different these days, they start to slip the computer knows what to do.

As for mileage, what is certain mileage you speak of? I'm guessing 20k?

I'm a bit south of Pittsburgh, and luckily not up in the mountains. My area sounds similar to yours, usually plowed and salted as it starts snowing, a little bit hilly, but not too bad. It seems like as long as the snow isn't too high, the RWD should be alright - I've just always have had FWD or AWD. I get a lot of stories from the older crowd that swear they would never go back to RWD for winters, but it all seems like they did it back in the day without ABS, traction control, or winter tires.

On the mileage question, I suppose I'm asking if there is a mileage break point where car value dips or if its a fairly linear depreciation. Trying to figure if there is a point where I should definitely trade in before.

I think using KBB Trade-in is fairly accurate these days, a few years ago, nope! It's what ever you can negotiate, always negotiate the best price for the new one before you ever talk about your trade-in, treat them as completely separate transactions, most dealers don't like that because it hurts their negotiating tactics which of course is always in their favor. As to time of year, a buyers market is towards the end of the year and sellers market towards the warmer weather as it approaches. Being a GT, most folks won't think about an AWD till it gets cold and the threat of snow or ice comes into the equation, heck Dodge didn't even start selling GTs until Jan 2017!!
That was what I was thinking too with buying in the winter. I noticed the previous year models dive in price as the new ones come out since the dealers want to get them off the lot. I just have to get lucky with hoping they have the setup I want (few scat packs, T/A, SRTs around just like your area).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had my Scat pack for 16 mos. and lost almost 10 percent of price paid, but got $5400 off a Scat Pack Shaker I ordered. So I got a 1 year newer car with the Shaker Package for $6000. Much better to get what you really want in the beginning! I'm not sure how accurate it is but with Edmunds web site you can see how much mileage affects price. By the way my car was a garage queen with 1423 miles on it and never been wet.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I bought a GT for a DD this spring and I am very happy with it. I also have a 16 Scat Pack Challenger for fair weather fun. Back in the 80's I drove a 65 OLDS Starfire year round that is very close to a Challenger large heavy RWD with a big V8. I had no problem driving it in snow with some snow tires on it and about 150 pounds of sand bags in the trunk.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been driving in Wisconsin the past 34 years. I didn't start buying snow tires until the past 10 years. Heck I had a modded c4 vette in the 90's that I drove in 8inch blizzards on summer tires and somehow made 40 mile commutes. Unless I lived in Alaska where being stranded could be really dangerous, a rwd car with a second set of wheels/snow tires should be fine for 99% of drivers. I drove my heads cam c6 vette thru several winters as well as a 300srt8, ls1 camaro and current scat pack the past two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my Scat pack for 16 mos. and lost almost 10 percent of price paid, but got $5400 off a Scat Pack Shaker I ordered. So I got a 1 year newer car with the Shaker Package for $6000. Much better to get what you really want in the beginning! I'm not sure how accurate it is but with Edmunds web site you can see how much mileage affects price. By the way my car was a garage queen with 1423 miles on it and never been wet.
10% doesn't sound as bad as I was thinking. Figured I would losing 20% or so. I've been eyeing either the Shaker Scat Pack or just the regular Scat Pack. Seems like the dealers really try hard to mark up the shakers, were as the regular scat packs are already listed real low :surprise:.

I bought a GT for a DD this spring and I am very happy with it. I also have a 16 Scat Pack Challenger for fair weather fun. Back in the 80's I drove a 65 OLDS Starfire year round that is very close to a Challenger large heavy RWD with a big V8. I had no problem driving it in snow with some snow tires on it and about 150 pounds of sand bags in the trunk.
I'm thinking of just waiting for a good deal, get the V8, throw some snow tires on it and have fun. The GT is a great car, but I underestimated how much my desire for more power would be haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Ottawa, Ontario and we get a lot of snow so I was a bit worried getting the RWD because as you said, the older generation claims its almost suicidal to drive it in the winter. They definitely forget that the cars they were driving back then had no ESC or traction control and shitty tires because my SXT Plus drove beautifully all winter. I didn't put any weight in the back and had no trouble getting traction if I eased on the throttle. I'm not sure how it would handle all the extra torque if you got the 6.4L engine because it still didn't take much to kick the back end out around a corner if there was a little snow on the ground.

As an example of how good the ESC on these cars is, we had some bad freezing rain one night and the road I take to work was pure ice. I gave it a bit of gas going up a hill and the back end stepped out so my car was about 30 degrees from straight sliding down the road the same direction I was driving, so I steered into it and with essentially no traction the car managed to straighten itself out. If I had been driving an older car I definitely would have done some 360s and hit the ditch.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
10% doesn't sound as bad as I was thinking. Figured I would losing 20% or so. I've been eyeing either the Shaker Scat Pack or just the regular Scat Pack. Seems like the dealers really try hard to mark up the shakers, were as the regular scat packs are already listed real low :surprise:.

I'm thinking of just waiting for a good deal, get the V8, throw some snow tires on it and have fun. The GT is a great car, but I underestimated how much my desire for more power would be haha.
I think that is the best plan. If I didn't have a Scat Pack already I would not have bought the GT. The GT AWD is a great DD with lower insurance costs and a better fuel economy, but if you only have room for one Challenger I would get the V8. The GT gets away from a stop light with good acceleration but you have to put your foot in it and you feel the V6 working hard. But the V8 R/T zooms away from a light with very little effort and will smoke the tires if the traction control or right foot control is not active. :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts