Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever put a trailer hitch on their Challenger or at least checked on one. If you have please let me have some info. on this.
I was thinking about a small tr. to be able to put a golf cart on to ride around on at car shows, race track, camp ground and such. I have been having trouble walking alot lately. Total weight would be about 1500/1600 lbs including the tr.
I know it would look stupid but it would keep us from taking the truck and car everwhere we went, especially with gas 4.00 per gallon. Thanks for any info in advance.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've never seen one, when I googled it my laptop spit up on me.

Just kidding. Go to etrailer.com; they appear to have them. Although they state it's for a Challenger, the picture is of the rear of a Charger or 300, not sure which. I guess they're the same frame/chassis.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
They have a mopar one you can order it from your dealer. I think the weight is limited to 3000 lbs

·
Registered
326 Posts
There was a thread last spring about this. The guy was pulling his matched set of personnel watercraft. Painted to match his car. Looked kinda cool,

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've purchased one for my car, got it through the dealership, seems fairly easy to mount and hides away. I 'm planning on pulling a custom trailer behind my car for shows. I wanted and oem setup that is made to bolt to our cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry I missed your post - been away from the computer for a few days. I pull my WaveRunner with my 6-speed with no issues whatsoever, even up and over Santiam Pass (around 5500 feet elevation) coming out of the valley and over to Central Oregon. The watercraft weighs in at about 1100 pounds with a full tank of gas and my Challenger pulls it easily, even on the grades going up the pass. I don't go tearing around with the trailer behind the car, but I don't have to baby it either, just set a nice cruising speed and go for it. :bigthumb:

Just my opinion, but from what I've seen of the aftermarket receivers and hitches, I would stay away from those and stick with the Mopar OEM unit. They did a really nice, thoughtful job designing them - when you remove the hitch/stinger, the receiver mount is completely hidden from view. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't even know it was there. The tradeoff is that it's just a bit more of a hassle to insert the hitch and pin when it comes time to trailer up, but it's completely worth it to make the hitch invisible when you're trailerless.

Now you just have to get your golf cart painted to match your car, and don't forget the matching wheels and stripes to go with it! :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The last time this came up I think it eventually degraded into something like "why don't you put some wood panelling and a roof rack on too?"

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now you just have to get your golf cart painted to match your car, and don't forget the matching wheels and stripes to go with it! :browsmiley:

I will probably build a tilt tr. the wheels will be the hardest to match on the cart and tr. I cant find anything even close. You cant get just any bolt pattern on the axle's they will be 4.5 or 4 3/4 and the cart has 4 lug. I'll use Alum. fenders and stone guard paint the tr. black and the cart will be Silver. I hope they turn out looking good.
I'll start the tr. soon but it will be a few months before I can get the cart. We'll see I guess. Thanks for the help guy's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Trailer Hitch

If you do a search this has been discussed before. I have a Hidden Hitch and I posted pictures. Worked out fine for me and I trailed a Harley for over 1200 mi round trip. No problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was thinking about your comment about finding wheels for the golf cart - could you get a quad or a go-kart or something different like that instead? I wonder if those would be easier to customize than a golf cart?

Now it would be REALLY cool if they made some kind of 3/4 scale go-kart Challenger replica..........

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be nice but a go-cart is out of the question I'm 6' 5" and weigh about 305 lbs. Thats why I was going with a lifted golf cart so I could get in and out a little easier.
They make a lot of bodys for them but a Challenger is not one of them and a one off would cost a fortune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts