Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the ones that know me, you know how much I despise trailer or garage queens......

Cars are meant to be driven, and driven hard, why have a beautiful powerful machine only to sit in a garage......it will never accrue enough value in your lifetime to retire on or to leave a legacy, so why???

Life is too short, you never know what tomorrow will bring, so drive it, it if gets damage fix it, if it rains wash it, get out of the garage and love it for everything it is......it's like a beautiful woman that you never touch or love, why.....

If your 2009 Srt has 2k miles on it I feel sorry for you......truly sorry.....

Luke

Ps,

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Have to agree with you... to a point. My Challenger R/T - absolutely it needs to be driven!!! Thats why I specifically wanted the STP. The problem I have at the moment rests solely on Goodyear :) F1's SUCK in winter!

The truck I had before the Challenger on the other hand was built to be a garage / trailer queen. Now as you probably could guess, I no longer have the truck...

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I look forward to taking it out as its a treat when I do, if I drove it often it wouldn't be special. Last time I took out a summer only car in the winter time there was an unplanned snow and I wrecked it driving home, a pristine high horsepower Mustang , had I listened to my instincts it would still be in my garage.
Mine will last longer and my kids will still have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I would only garage a car if it was a rare exotic and it was an investment. Rich people like rare cars because they are something they can physically touch, as opposed to stocks and other investments. I don't think our Challengers are considered "investment grade", but we shall see in another 30-40 years.

·
Registered
2012 R/T Classic
769 Posts
Have to agree with you... to a point. My Challenger R/T - absolutely it needs to be driven!!! Thats why I specifically wanted the STP. The problem I have at the moment rests solely on Goodyear :) F1's SUCK in winter!...
I am in exactly the same situation up here in Sasky. I'm sure Luke will buy us a full set of winter skins if we simply provide a "Ship to" address ... Right Luke? ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
having run a 69 superbee and 70 1/2 z 28 to totally trashed in a 3 year period in 69 to 72 I hope ive become a little wiser my 13 rt will be driven hopefully over a 20 year period and still be ok scrapes dings a little rust will be ok as I like my cars to have a little patina to them you gotta run them to bank the memorys

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
36K on my 2011, four sets of tires and numerous nicks and chips. But if something
were to happen to me tomorrow, I would never say "I Regret not driving my Challenger".

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to agree with you... to a point. My Challenger R/T - absolutely it needs to be driven!!! Thats why I specifically wanted the STP. The problem I have at the moment rests solely on Goodyear :) F1's SUCK in winter!

The truck I had before the Challenger on the other hand was built to be a garage / trailer queen. Now as you probably could guess, I no longer have the truck...
Agreed winter is for the winter beaters, but thereafter......

For the past 3 years we have attended the Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet car show in Newton, cars have to be driven in, you would not believe how many are trailered 1/2 mile away to a parking lot and driven into the show, then right back to the trailer, if a car is that valuable then I would never own it, even if I could afford it

I really want a original Hemi 6 speed Daytona, and guess what it would be driven

Luke

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
36K on my 2011, four sets of tires and numerous nicks and chips. But if something
were to happen to me tomorrow, I would never say "I Regret not driving my Challenger".
Exactly what I mean, recently someone I speak to everyday, one of our vendors, got to work, walk thru the door, told somebody wasn't feeling good fell over and died before they got him to the hospital, my age, early 50's

Luke

·
Registered
779 Posts
Life is too short, you never know what tomorrow will bring, so drive it, it if gets damage fix it, if it rains wash it, get out of the garage and love it for everything it is......it's like a beautiful woman that you never touch or love, why.....
I have to agree with you here. I ordered the car in Sept of 08 and picked it up in Mar 09. The original intention was to have a play car that got driven sparingly. Fast forward to Aug 09 and I had a sore right bicep, my wife of 30 years who is a vet tech felt it and realized right away there was something else going on. After multiple scans and a biopsy it was diagnosed as fibrosarcoma. Had surgery to remove the entire muscle and radiation treatments. I drove that car every day rain or shine during treatment and as much as possible now and race it on the weekends. Enjoy what you have and make it count. I have the believe that her being a veterinary tech and this type of cancer is mostly seen in dogs was divine providence somehow, Looking forward to 5 years free in Oct.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Exactly Luke! Life is too short.

I cringe every time I hear someone say "Someday I will get one of these" it could be
anything. I always reply "Someday, may never come".

I lost my Dad at 63 he was my Father and grew into my Best Friend. We spend every
day together playing as adults and though I miss him dearly, I can say, WE HAD A BLAST!

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
I am in exactly the same situation up here in Sasky. I'm sure Luke will buy us a full set of winter skins if we simply provide a "Ship to" address ... Right Luke? ;)
Cars that sit in the garage because of inclement weather do not qualify as garage queens! They qualify as having smart owner!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
18 months of owning my special order 2012 rallye redline with 26,000 miles on. Still smiling loving every minute of her!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
while i agree i also disagree

mine sit in the winter.. and i drive it in the summer ( some what ) it is my choice to keep the miles low.. i realize it isn't a value thing for god sakes it is A DODGE. value and DODGE have never went hand in hand. except for a cuda and superbird ( i know plymouth )

my point is i choose to keep it garage because i like it CLEAN. i am anal and want it to be pristene.. i do drive it just not like most.. it is by choice.. don't hammer on people that don't drive there's everyday because while i agree life is short.not everyone feels the same and some people for various reasons choose not to drive there's as much as much others.

just sayin

·
Registered
558 Posts
Purchased my R/T in Dec 2010. 53,000+ miles of commutes, road trips, spirited drives and flat out smiles. It's only stored in the garage when its not being driven. I bought the car to enjoy it and I enjoy driving it more than anything. I take good care of its appearance and maintenance so it lasts longer for me. I could care less about preserving it for someone else to enjoy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I think cars are meant to be driven however, it doesn't bother me what someone else does with their own property.
They can abuse it or keep it pristine...none of my business and I don't let it bother me one way or the other

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
No one else will ever enjoy mine. Told my wife the day I got her that I would never sell it. It stays clean as a whistle in the garage but gets driven often. 38K miles so far. She'll be buried with me in the back yard like Al Bundy's Duster, if I have my way.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I drive my car in good weather and have it stored for our Ohio winters. I am fortunate to be able to do that. Someone on a different thread made a comment of if you don't drive it you are simply keeping it for someone else.... I plan on keeping my car until I can't drive anymore. When that day comes I want to see it go away knowing that I had a chance to fully enjoy the car for what it is... a car. I have gone through having cancer and a severe car accident... so... I know life can change in an instant.

To me if people want to have garage queens or never ever think about driving it if there is a 10% chance of rain that is fine... but I want to enjoy it for the reason it was built... I bought my car as an investment of fun.. not an investment of looking at it and hoping some day it will be worth a ton of money.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts