Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trailering tie down help.

I found what I think is the safest damage free way to tie on cars without damaging anything on the vehicle or purchasing more expensive dedicated tie downs. Also you will not need to get under the car and possibly get dirty:werd: It requires 4 2" ratchet straps found at most parts or outdoor stores. After loading the car you will need to take either end of the strap and run it behind the tire making sure not to get the hoses in between the tire and the strap. You are going to basically make a X with the strap hooking the strap and the ratchet so that they cross. If you are unable to cross hooking to the same point near the center of the wheel will work.
Another thing is to have one ratchet tightening to the rear of the car and one to the front that will give you maximum forward to rear support. Pull on the strap while tightening to help it around the tire as the tire will grab and not allow it to tighten as much on the non ratchet side.
I hope this helps, I have hauled vehicles with this system many times with no issues. One trip with two cars all the way up the Alaskan highway, if they can make that trip without falling off it will do good anywhere.
I have a couple crappy pictures, wasn't really thinking about the tie downs when I took these sorry.
If anyone has other ideas on tying these cars on post them up here.

Attachments

·
Banned
664 Posts
That works. I have fleece covers for my axle straps, I run the straps through the wheels and strap it down front and back. Covers keep the wheels from being scuffed.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That works. I have fleece covers for my axle straps, I run the straps through the wheels and strap it down front and back. Covers keep the wheels from being scuffed.
I tried lots of things but still marked my wheels when I tied through them, I never used fleece though, thanks for sharing.
I am most jealous of your tow rig.
Thanks TF, it does a good job for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice rig for sure..very cool....

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I picked up my straps from Summit in a kit 4 8' 2" straps and the 4 axle straps which can be used to go through you wheels they clear I use a microfiber rag or old towels to buffer the straps from marring the wheels it works just fine even with the new USW. I would prefer to criss-cross the rear but I can't with my turbos in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have been using some gritty towels when I was going through the wheels as I left marks on them. It was on big trucks when I was hauling my cars, I would sometimes haul a pickup to one of my other locations and drop off a truck then have a way home. Maybe with those bigger ratchets I was able to put so much force on them and that was part of the deal?? I got tired of trying to buff out the wheels and started going over the tries.
Your car sure looks good Jeff you did a great job on it:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Thanks Rob :) I almost did mine that way so far no problems the straps do make it much easier and you don't have to worry about the hooks scratching up the wheels trying to feed them through you just have to watch out for the valve stems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Uh, I think I'm in love with your "barn." That center stall must be where you keep a big old 5th wheel.

Are you familiar with those ratchet straps that go around, over the top and down the center of the tires? From the side, it looks like an upside down "U" shape, being anchored on one side, and through a pulley like arrangement and ratchet on the other. Wonder if they are any good.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh, I think I'm in love with your "barn." That center stall must be where you keep a big old 5th wheel.

Are you familiar with those ratchet straps that go around, over the top and down the center of the tires? From the side, it looks like an upside down "U" shape, being anchored on one side, and through a pulley like arrangement and ratchet on the other. Wonder if they are any good.
Those work very well and are probably worth buying if you haul the car lot's. I don't very often and use the 2" for hauling lot's of different things through out the year.

Thank you it is very nice to have a place to store all our stuff. Yes I put our 5th wheel in when not using it the,each bay is drive through witch is nice for my wife she don't have to worry about backing in or out with the camper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts