Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a train horn kit for my 2018 challenger GT. Before ordering it I glanced over the car and had a few ideas of where to mount the horns. After receiving the product I realized I was wrong.

Ideally I would like it out of sight. The horns are roughly 17x12×9 even though the website lists it a bit smaller. For reference the product is: Viking Horns V103C-6/311-1 Three Trumpet 200 PSI Train Air Horn Kit

The 3 trumpets are mounted to a bracket. They can be removed and placed in separate areas. There is definitely not enough room in the engine bay even with the smaller v6. I havent had the car on a lift but the undercarriage seems to be tightly engineered with no extra space and definitely not enough clearance.

The last place I can think of is behind the front bumper. Not sure if I would have enough space behind there and I am unable to find anything online. Anyone have ideas for this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For fun and some shock value. When I was younger I used to watch videos of scare pranks with a train horn and I love them. Now I have a nice car that I will have for many years and extra money to do some modifications that I've always wanted.

I also work partially in the railroad industry. I make railroad heaters and other electrical railroad equipment so trains have become part of my life. It will definitely be a fun icebreaker topic when meeting with a customer who also deals with trains.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had one back in the early 70's and it was a lot of fun, but it didn't last long. The compressor died right after the 90 day warranty. It would cause people to jump in their seats in cars in front of me when I blasted it. Got a lot of attention at drive throughs, especially one drive thru carry out I still go to. A little "Blat!" inside would make everyone around jump.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's tight behind the front bumper as well. Even if you were successful in mounting horns behind the bumper, you're going to disrupt airflow.

You may as well mount the horns on the roof. I mean, if you're going to go full throttle insane, you may as well not play around. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.. I've thought about mounting it on the roof already. The horns themselves are beautifully chromed and would be nice to show off.

I'm worried about a few things though.

1: Getting ripped off or doing damage to the roof. I've had my car up to 130mph where its governed. At that speed, facing forward, I have no idea what would happen. I'm sure it would hold but would probably mount them backwards just in case.

2. As much as I like the horns, I think it would take away from the look of the car.

3. In the case where I *might* honk at someone theres no denial where it came from. Like zero chance if denial?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mount them in the trunk. All kinds of room back there. Plus, nobody expects the sound to come from your ass-end.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Yeah.. I've thought about mounting it on the roof already. The horns themselves are beautifully chromed and would be nice to show off.

2. As much as I like the horns, I think it would take away from the look of the car.

-------------------------------------------------

Ya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mount them in the trunk. All kinds of room back there. Plus, nobody expects the sound to come from your ass-end.
That's a good idea. The compressor and tank would already be back there so wiring would be super easy. I wonder how muffled the horns would be in there. Would probably be worse for me inside the car than anyone outside ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ya think?
Yeah I've seen that picture. I would try to be more elegant than that if I did a roof mount

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd like to offer my recent foray into the aftermarket horn decision. I have a RAM Rebel and wanted to get either a Dixie air horn (it is a Rebel after all), a big rig horn or train horn. I researched all of the self-contained horns (compressor/horn combo) as well as the ones with the separate compressor. While I don't have the space restrictions you do, I'd still end up with them up under the bumper or in someplace where they'll get all crudded up with snow/ice in the winter time. Not to mention boogering up the dashboard with an aftermarket button.

Then I started thinking. How much and how often to I actually use my horn? And the answer is: not much and rarely. The stock horns beep for locking the door and other indications with remote start and remote air-suspension activation, but I don't use the horn button on the steering wheel, except in the case of an emergency alert (someone drifting into my lane, or a pedestrian walking while texting).

This means that the sole purpose of adding an air horn, is to be obnoxious and loud to scare people, or just to be annoying, obnoxious and loud. I paused, and asked myself....is this the best use of a couple hundred dollars and several hours of my time, just to be obnoxious, annoying and loud to scare people.

I decided that I could buy an awful lot of ammunition, beer, online music, or spend the money/time on more constructive or useful modification to the truck.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Yeah I've seen that picture. I would try to be more elegant than that if I did a roof mount
There's no way to say this without it sounding offensive and I don't mean it to be at all.

But, to me, there's no possible way on this planet to make a huge set of air horns, or anything else, look "elegant" on the roof of a Challenger. :surprise:

Hey! I'm laughing as I'm writing so, really, I'm not trying to be mean and offensive. :grin2:

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
I recently bought a train horn kit for my 2018 challenger GT. Before ordering it I glanced over the car and had a few ideas of where to mount the horns. After receiving the product I realized I was wrong.

Ideally I would like it out of sight. The horns are roughly 17x12×9 even though the website lists it a bit smaller. For reference the product is: Viking Horns V103C-6/311-1 Three Trumpet 200 PSI Train Air Horn Kit

The 3 trumpets are mounted to a bracket. They can be removed and placed in separate areas. There is definitely not enough room in the engine bay even with the smaller v6. I havent had the car on a lift but the undercarriage seems to be tightly engineered with no extra space and definitely not enough clearance.

The last place I can think of is behind the front bumper. Not sure if I would have enough space behind there and I am unable to find anything online. Anyone have ideas for this?
Dump the horns and get yourself a wolf whistle from back in the day. It will fit easily. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Ya think?

Well in all honesty if you don't really look close... hahaha!

I REAL all honesty...... OUR HORNS SUCK!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to upgrade the horn. It's embarrassing!!!
Sounds like a toyota corolla...

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
Well in all honesty if you don't really look close... hahaha!

I REAL all honesty...... OUR HORNS SUCK!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to upgrade the horn. It's embarrassing!!!
Sounds like a toyota corolla...
After market horns are available, and don't cost an arm and a leg. The one below is 115db and goes for $15.00.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I had a set of Rico air horns on my motorcycle. They were mounted underneath the bike and the little compressor motor was inside the side cover. The horns were very loud and kept me from getting run over by stupid car drivers many times.
Amazon carries the whole line from Rivco. One of the horns are said to “sound like a train”. If I were going to install loud horns on my car, I would go with a Rivco. As somebody else posted above, there are really loud car horns for dirt cheap and you can find them all over the web.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rivco+air+horns&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228977467438&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17978927524042886497&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010427&hvtargid=kwd-338339110315&ref=pd_sl_5ztdnc38b1_e_p37

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Dump the horns and get yourself a wolf whistle from back in the day. It will fit easily. /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
I had no idea what this was and looked it up. Absolutely hilarious. Theres a good chance I'll pick one up now and get myself in trouble. ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts

A Guy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts