Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know atf +4 for trans and have been told 75/140 plus mopar additive in rear, but mobil one fluids or is there any better choices out there?

and the trans only holds 6 quarts?
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I know atf +4 for trans and have been told 75/140 plus mopar additive in rear, but mobil one fluids or is there any better choices out there?

and the trans only holds 6 quarts?
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The 6 speed holds like 3.9 quarts. I have changed mine twice because I was not happy with the way it shifted. I went with Amsoil Multi vehicle ATF for a couple of thousand miles and the shifting got better (smoother). I changed it out with Redline D-4 ATF and wasn't happy with it. I just changed out the D-4 and put in Amsoil Syncromesh Manual fliud. It shifts better IMO. The transmission never felt lubricated with the ATF+4 fluid IMO. I am sure to get many who may say the syncromesh fluid is too thick, but we'll see. I only have 5,600 miles on my R/T

I have the STP with the 226mm Getrag and it calls for 75w-90 gear lube. I used Amsoil severe gear oil and it comes with a friction additive so no mopar additive is required. It was only 1.5 quarts for the rear-end fill up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was searching for info about Tranny Fluid since I needed an oil change and decided to kill 2 birds...

So,

Tremec Customer Service recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the TR6060, so I went with it.
Interestingly, it gobbled 5 quarts :eek3: before it started dripping out the fill hole.
I think it was supposed to be 4.1 qts, or 4.6...?

I just put it in and, in the 1 mile drive home, it seemed a little easier to row through the gears.

I'll have a better feel tomorrow since the drive will be a little longer and it will be from a cold start.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
4 qts. ATF+4 and 2 qts. 75w90 and 4 oz. Friction modifier. You're good to go. I got about 3.5 in the tranny and about 1.5 in the differential using just plain old MOPAR brand. It shifts and lays 2 big black rubber marks really good! Coulda spent more but I put it in the gas tank instead. Just sayin.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The 6 speed holds like 3.9 quarts. I have changed mine twice because I was not happy with the way it shifted. I went with Amsoil Multi vehicle ATF for a couple of thousand miles and the shifting got better (smoother). I changed it out with Redline D-4 ATF and wasn't happy with it. I just changed out the D-4 and put in Amsoil Syncromesh Manual fliud. It shifts better IMO. The transmission never felt lubricated with the ATF+4 fluid IMO. I am sure to get many who may say the syncromesh fluid is too thick, but we'll see. I only have 5,600 miles on my R/T

I have the STP with the 226mm Getrag and it calls for 75w-90 gear lube. I used Amsoil severe gear oil and it comes with a friction additive so no mopar additive is required. It was only 1.5 quarts for the rear-end fill up.
that is interesting.. i to have used the amsoil multi as well as a couple others.. the amsoil i felt was better but i like you feel it never really feels LUBRICATED. i may give this a run.. is this syncromesh much thicker?

i know some of the notchyness is the tranny design also

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
that is interesting.. i to have used the amsoil multi as well as a couple others.. the amsoil i felt was better but i like you feel it never really feels LUBRICATED. i may give this a run.. is this syncromesh much thicker?

i know some of the notchyness is the tranny design also
The Amsoil synchromesh fluid is slightly thicker with a viscosity of 9.7 at 100 degrees C verses the Amsoil multi ATF which is 7.5 at 100 degrees C. At 40 degrees C the syncrhomesh fluid is 48.3 verses the amsoil multi ATF of 38.8 viscosity rating. To be honest, things don't feel any more lubricated with the synchromesh fluid IMO.

I am still undecided if I want to stay with the Amsoil synchromesh fluid. I am going to give it another 1000-2000 miles and see if things shift better or not. If not, I am going back to the Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF. I felt the most improvement with the Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I was searching for info about Tranny Fluid since I needed an oil change and decided to kill 2 birds...

So,

Tremec Customer Service recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the TR6060, so I went with it.
Interestingly, it gobbled 5 quarts :eek3: before it started dripping out the fill hole.
I think it was supposed to be 4.1 qts, or 4.6...?

I just put it in and, in the 1 mile drive home, it seemed a little easier to row through the gears.

I'll have a better feel tomorrow since the drive will be a little longer and it will be from a cold start.
RiChallenger,

Do you have any updates on the Mobil 1? I need to change my fluid, I'm just about at the 24K miles, and am trying to decide what to use.

I checked the Mobil 1 site but it doesn't show this as an approved replacement for Chrysler ATF+4 so now I'm wondering what to use.

Thanks,
ken

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Well I ended up going back to Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF after only 150 miles of the Amsoil synchromesh oil. I was worried I might f*** something up not running the ATF+4. I didn't feel that the transmission was any better lubricated with the synchromesh oil.

I have had the best improvement with the Amsoil multi ATF. After another 2,000 miles the transmission is shifting better. I have 8,000 miles on the car now.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
AMSoil multi-ATF does not meet ATF+4 specs/requirements no matter what AMSoil says, sorry.

The trans will shift better purely by breaking in, I wouldn't have changed the fluid until the trans had fully broken in but that's just me. :)

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Yeah I know Amsoil ATF doesn't meet ATF+4 specs. I'm just convinced its good stuff.

Everyone has said that the shifts would get better with some miles and that is probably the case here. I can say that the shifts got better when amsoil multi-vehicle ATF was in it. The shifts didn't get better when the OEM fluid or Redline was in it.

When my vehicle was new, there was quite a bit of notchiness shifting through the gears. Me being old school I didn't (and still don't) like the idea of ATF in my manual transmission. So, as I have stated before, the transmission never felt lubricated. I was changing out ATF fluids looking for a more lubricated shift. I can't say that I found it, but I can say that the shifts have got better. I'm staying with the amsoil-multi vehicle ATF for now even though its not approved until I'm completely happy with the shifts.

I will probably change to an licensed ATF+4 after some more miles just for the warranty's sake. That is why I asked the question about mobil 1 ATF+4 in another thread. Its not an licensed ATF brand even though its meets ATF+4 specs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
RiChallenger,

Do you have any updates on the Mobil 1? I need to change my fluid, I'm just about at the 24K miles, and am trying to decide what to use.

I checked the Mobil 1 site but it doesn't show this as an approved replacement for Chrysler ATF+4 so now I'm wondering what to use.

Thanks,
ken
Update? Mobil 1 Syn ATF seems no better or worse than what Chrysler put in at the factory. In short, it did not seem to improve the smoothness of the 2>3 shift.
Like I said, Tremec Cust. Svc. recommended Mobil 1 Syn ATF - they built it, so I felt comfortable following their recommendation; Mobil 1's approved replacement chart notwithstanding.

My 2012 Challenger's TR6060 is a little 2>3 notchy, but not as bad as my 2010 Camaro's TR6060 was (I used Royal Purple for it - it didn't help). The key seems to be a warmed up tranny (and lots of miles), but I mitigated some of the cold notchy-ness by pausing between 2>3. Once warmed, the notchy-ness lessened.

I no longer have the '10 Camaro, having traded it in for a 2013 ZL1. The 13's TR6060 has been smooth as silk from day one, right off the lot.

So...
Some TR6060's are better than others, as not everyone seems to complain (my ZL1 being a case in point) and, anecdotally, changing (to whatever) fluid may or may not help.

Rotsa ruck, G.I.!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts