Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,988 Posts
They don't have a dipstick. The dealer has a fancy tool that measures temperature to tell level. But @Pector55 did a DIY version

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I purchased a Doreman (sp?) universal dip stick at a local O'Reilly Auto that works, but I've also tried the zip tie approach and it works fine too.

Just make sure the trans fluid is up to temp. In the absence of a digital read-out, driving the car until the radiator fans have come on and gone off once will do.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I purchased a Doreman (sp?) universal dip stick at a local O'Reilly Auto that works, but I've also tried the zip tie approach and it works fine too.

Just make sure the trans fluid is up to temp. In the absence of a digital read-out, driving the car until the radiator fans have come on and gone off once will do.
Wait was that what your meat thermometer contraption was all about? Besides I thought the bacon hauler is supposed to sizzle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Guys

I never check my transmission fluid level.

Every 15,000 miles I simply do what the shop manual says, drain fluid, remove oil pan, change fluid filter, refit oil pan, add 5 litres (10.5 quarts) of fluid, job done.

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Wait was that what your meat thermometer contraption was all about? Besides I thought the bacon hauler is supposed to sizzle.
No, no, no, that was for monitoring the REAL intake air temperature via my air box.

Mmmm, meat, I’m hungry...

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Hi Guys

Every 15,000 miles I simply do what the shop manual says, drain fluid, remove oil pan, change fluid filter, refit oil pan, add 5 litres (10.5 quarts) of fluid, job done.

Regards

Dereck
Removing the pan and changing the filter that often is overkill. Get a $6 fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight and every few months pump out as much as you can through dipstick tube (~3 qts) and refill with fresh fluid. You’ll keep the fluid fresh that way and save the hassle of spilling the used fluid everywhere when dropping the pan.

But if you’re dead set on removing the pan that often, you should look into getting a Trans Pan Caddy Man (is that what I named it? Can’t remember now...). It’ll attach to a little trolley jack and make spilling the used fluid much more difficult.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Don't they make a trans pan with a drain plug. I bought one for my liberty trans and absolutely love it!

That reminds me, I need one for the JGC.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I think this one is for is for the +2015 trans Challenger? I really would not know...I have an M6.

Ah, nevermind it looks like factory pan does have a drain plug.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
A
Don't they make a trans pan with a drain plug. I bought one for my liberty trans and absolutely love it!

That reminds me, I need one for the JGC.
A). What do you have against my inventions?!?
B). “They” make lots of stuff, some good, some not so good.
C). See A.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
A

A). What do you have against my inventions?!?
B). “They” make lots of stuff, some good, some not so good.
C). See A.
Nothing but why re-invent the wheel (or hole in this case)? I guess you can initially use your invention prior to substituting the pan. In the end, it all pans out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Guys

Regards

Dereck
Did you mean 10.5 pints? Seems like a lot for just dropping the pan. Just asking. Thanks. B -

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I think total fill is 9.5qts + 0.7qts if you include oil cooler. Replacing fluid should be less as the TC stores some of the fluid.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Nuke

Removing the pan and changing the filter that often is overkill. Get a $6 fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight and every few months pump out as much as you can through dipstick tube (~3 qts) and refill with fresh fluid. You’ll keep the fluid fresh that way and save the hassle of spilling the used fluid everywhere when dropping the pan.
It may well be overkill but I would rather spend a few dollars on fluid and a filter every 15,000 miles than $4000 on a new transmission, The nearest Harbour Freight to me is 3500 miles away, I do have a fluid pump but would rather drop the pan for all the effort it involves and having a fully equipped shop to work in do not spill fluid everywhere.

Hi Thread Killer

Did you mean 10.5 pints? Seems like a lot for just dropping the pan. Just asking. Thanks. B -
Yeah sorry guys a bad metric conversion there, it is indeed 10.5 pints,.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think this one is for is for the +2015 trans Challenger? I really would not know...I have an M6.

(y) I like the looks of that transmission pan. Is it cast aluminum? Dorman makes good stuff. They even make parts for my Lexus.
$99 bucks you say ? I could order one to keep in my office until it is time to change the fluid just to look at. I keep the ATF+4 in stock anyhow as I am frequently changing the 48RE fluid in the Dodge Ram. I put a cast aluminum pan on it with a cool drain plug, sure makes it easy. The Jeeps use ATF+4 fluid.
Oh yeah, the D-Ram uses the ATF+4 for power steering fluid. All God's children should use ATF+4 🤠
have a good one !

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Nothing but why re-invent the wheel (or hole in this case)? I guess you can initially use your invention prior to substituting the pan. In the end, it all pans out.
Oh @ChallyTatum, you are always at the top of your game when it comes to bringing out the pedanticism (yes, that’s a word, I don’t care what your dictionary says!) in me...

If my wagon has its wheels welded onto the wheel-holding booths, what good does the existence of of a tire iron do me? I have no lug nuts on which to wield it!

Sure, once I get the wheel off, I can buy a retrofit kit from the local Woolworths, wait 2 months to have it shipped to me on a stage coach, install it, and THEN make use of the tire iron invention to get the wheel off next time, but not until after I’ve already had to remove the lug-less wheel by whatever means necessary...which in my case could be by shooting it over and over with the trusty 30-30 lever action rifle I carry in my saddle scabbard.

Now I don’t know if you’ve ever shot a 30-30, but they are quite obnoxious when it comes to the ear-drums. One shot hurts, two leaves the ears ringing for a couple days, and three...well, let’s just say if you have to shoot something three times with a 30-30, you should have started out with a 30-06 instead.

But I digest...

What were we talking about again? You’ll have to forgive me, I’ve already had three 24 oz Modelo Chelada Limon y Sal beers, and things are getting confusioning...

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts