·
Super Moderator
12,988 Posts
Well, there's

A Guy

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
...but cannot remember. I keep hoping someone will... fill in that blank spot in my memory...
Now there's a thought. Filling in the missing pieces is easy enough: it's like completing a jigsaw puzzle. However, when all ya have is the four corner pieces actually in place, this process becomes quite a challenge.
:) :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Guys

I never check my transmission fluid level.

Every 15,000 miles I simply do what the shop manual says, drain fluid, remove oil pan, change fluid filter, refit oil pan, add 5 litres (10.5 quarts) of fluid, job done.

Regards

Dereck
My manual has no mention of a8 maintenance. Whats up with that?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
you got a zf 8 speed auto, we got a Mercedes Benz 5 speed auto...both german, but not quite the same otherwise

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Bkwa

Well my manual says the transmission is filled for life but there is a procedure listed to change the fluid filter, besides who's life is it filled for? How long do they reckon on a transmission lasting? And who is paying if the transmission goes south? Dodge? I doubt it so I would rather change the fluid and give the transmission a chance of extended longevity than not change it and shell out prematurely for a new one.

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Your Automatic transmission is a sealed unit with lifetime fluid with no maintenance required. When your transmission fails shortly after 100,000 miles your new transmission will come prefilled with new fluid ready to be installed by your local dealership's service department at your own expense as the factory extended warranty expired 30,000 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Ok, back to the question. Yes, they SAY sealed for life but that is a little .. overstated. I just change fluid and filter at 25K, my car is supercharged and works the transmission a little harder than most.
If you want to make your own dipstick it is easy. You need some clear tubing and a zip tie that fits snugly INSIDE the tube. Cut the end of the tube to an angle so that it can not seal to the bottom of the trans pan.
Establish that your level is good either by just assuming that it is, or take it to a dealer to check the level. Simply slide the clear tube down the fill/check tube until it bottoms out in the pan. Pull the clear tube back out and measure the fluid level on the clear tube. Cut the zip tie about twice as long as the fluid level then put a notch in the side of the zip tie at the correct fluid level. Insert the zip tie inside the clear tube so that the levels match.
Now to use it, simply insert your clear tube into the fill tube in the same conditions as you made the level marks. If you did it cold then check cold. If you measured hot in neutral running engine with the brake on then measure that way.
Not only do you now have a calibrated dip "tube" it allows you to check the condition of the trans fluid very easily simply by puting your thumb over the open end of the tube when it is fully inserted. This will draw a sample of the oil from the pan and you can look at it to see it's condition.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
My manual says, “you hillbillies can’t handle a complicated job like transmission maintenance, and besides we’re almost broke and need more money. So bring that machine to us and let us take care of you. We’ll always do you right*

* right means whatever we say it means”

Thus I do it myself.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
My manual says, “you hillbillies can’t handle a complicated job like transmission maintenance, and besides we’re almost broke and need more money. So bring that machine to us and let us take care of you. We’ll always do you right*

* right means whatever we say it means”

Thus I do it myself.
Mine says “Nuke can’t handle a complicated job like transmission maintenance,..."

Kidding, I know you have the capability.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Mine says “Nuke can’t handle a complicated job like transmission maintenance,..."

Kidding, I know you have the capability.
I KNEW IT!! They ARE out to get me. And y’all called me crazy.

Who’s crazy now?!?!

A-HAHAHAHAHA!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’ve always done my own maintenance. Dealerships scare the HE double hockey sticks out of me. And this maintenance makes me just a bit nervous although it is quite a ways down the road only 51 K on my car. But I’m guessing they’ll come a time when I’m ready to tackle it. Thanks to you guys who have done it that’ll help me along immensely.

·
Super Moderator
12,988 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok, back to the question. Yes, they SAY sealed for life but that is a little .. overstated. I just change fluid and filter at 25K, my car is supercharged and works the transmission a little harder than most.
If you want to make your own dipstick it is easy. You need some clear tubing and a zip tie that fits snugly INSIDE the tube. Cut the end of the tube to an angle so that it can not seal to the bottom of the trans pan.
Establish that your level is good either by just assuming that it is, or take it to a dealer to check the level. Simply slide the clear tube down the fill/check tube until it bottoms out in the pan. Pull the clear tube back out and measure the fluid level on the clear tube. Cut the zip tie about twice as long as the fluid level then put a notch in the side of the zip tie at the correct fluid level. Insert the zip tie inside the clear tube so that the levels match.
Now to use it, simply insert your clear tube into the fill tube in the same conditions as you made the level marks. If you did it cold then check cold. If you measured hot in neutral running engine with the brake on then measure that way.
Not only do you now have a calibrated dip "tube" it allows you to check the condition of the trans fluid very easily simply by puting your thumb over the open end of the tube when it is fully inserted. This will draw a sample of the oil from the pan and you can look at it to see it's condition.
at first at first I was reading this and figured why bother if they tell you that you don't need to do so but after reading this post, I think I might do it if nothing more than to be able to see easily the condition of the fluid. I had not even thought of being able to do that like the soda straw with your finger over the end.

thanks for the great idea!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I’ve always done my own maintenance. Dealerships scare the HE double hockey sticks out of me. And this maintenance makes me just a bit nervous although it is quite a ways down the road only 51 K on my car. But I’m guessing they’ll come a time when I’m ready to tackle it. Thanks to you guys who have done it that’ll help me along immensely.
It's not bad. It'll take you longer to read through how to do it than actually do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are driving the car without beating the crap out of it....go the full service interval. If you have 111 passes from the 26th of June, and its Sept 26th,....get clever on keeping the fluids fresh. Remember that at some point the filter which has magnets to capture metallic debris must also be changed. The filter is part of the pan as are the magnets.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Whenever I come upon some thing like a cooling system or in this case a transmission that has a "life time" fluid I just assume the fluid life time is that of some major cooling system component (water pump, radiator) failing and the system needing opening up, draining, and refilling or the transmission just craps out. In this case the new transmission will come prefilled with "life time" fluid and the clock starts running on the replacement transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
If you are driving the car without beating the crap out of it....go the full service interval. If you have 111 passes from the 26th of June, and its Sept 26th,....get clever on keeping the fluids fresh. Remember that at some point the filter which has magnets to capture metallic debris must also be changed. The filter is part of the pan as are the magnets.
That's true for the ZF A8 trans that comes in the 2015+ cars, but the NAG1 A5 trans that comes in 2014 and below models has the traditional filter, pan, and magnet setup.

IoW, the magnet is stuck to (inside) bottom of the (metal) pan (by magnetism only; can be removed for cleaning after pan drop) and the filter is a traditional rock-catcher type that is shoved up into the valve body and hangs down into the pan (hovering just above floor) and is replaced as needed (after a pan drop).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts