Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transfer Sirius Subscription To A New Headunit (REN)

I just upgraded to a REN unit and was wondering how to go about transferring my suriusXM subscription. The dealer must have activated it becuase I did not do anything to activate it. Anyone do this?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I haven't done it with sirius byt wit XM you just turn to ch 0 and get the radio #. On the Mygig it will also be on the info screen. Call them and tell them you want to change your radio to that #. They may want to charge you an activation fee.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
In a question relating to this, how do I activate a subscription? It just says to call Sirius, but I don't know if I need my vin, or what....

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It's like a cell phone you'll need the radio ID. They may not list it by VIN. The ID can usually be found by turning to ch0 or by looking at the radio info screen on Mygigs

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Ok radio id, cool thanks man! Glad I don't have to rip the radio out :p, it kinda sucks as the guy that owned the car prior had a year or so subscription, but I had to update the mygig and when I did bam, gone :(

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Updateing the radio shouldn't zap or change the radio ID and it should still work. Under info screen.
Touch the Subscription soft-key to access the Subscription
Information screen.
Write down the SIRIUS ID numbers for your receiver. To
reactivate your service either call the number listed on​
the screen or visit the provider online

·
Registered
467 Posts
I contacted Sirius recently about switching my free 1 year subscription, as I upgraded from REC to REN. I was told the free sub. could not be switched to another radio. If you have a paid subscription, it should be no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
you need a new subscription if you changed out the radio. get the Sirius ID number off the radio and call them to set up the new account.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Well, apparently you can't add a sirius radio to a XM account which is idiotic as I'm pretty sure they own eachother...but I just gotta wait for another login..silly to have cars with XM and one with SIRIUS yet you can't combine the account.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're still in the "free trial" time for the factory radio, it can't be transferred. If you've started paying for the subscription, Sirius charges $75 to transfer service from one radio to another, such as in the case of the lifetime subscription I have on one radio (they don't offer those any more after they figured out how much money they were losing on them).

If you installed a new radio and you had started paying for the service on the old one, the best thing is just to cancel the service on the old one and start service on the new one. You have to call Sirius to cancel service (they'll refund the unused portion of your subscription). You'll need the electronic identification number (EIN) of the old unit if you have more than one radio on your subscription to make sure they cancel the right one (although if you don't have it, they know what car you have it installed in and go from there). You can also add the new one at that time. If you haven't started paying for the subscription for the old radio yet, you can just let the trial subscription run out on its own and ignore the notices you'll get from Sirius as the trial runs out. You can set up a new account and activate the new radio on line and not have to deal with Sirius' abysmal phone system and customer service. If you have other radios you're paying for already, you just add the new one to your existing account.

Either way, to activate the new radio you'll need the EIN of the new unit. It's usually on one of the stickers on the box it came in, on the installation guide, on a sticker on the radio and can be displayed on the radio's readout. The installation or users guide should tell you how to display it. Once you get it registered with Sirus (and pay for the subscription) you put the car where you can get a signal (you can't be inside a garage, for example), set the new radio on channel 184 and wait for the activation signal to activate your radio.

I've used Sirius since 2003, so I have a lot of experience dealing with them. You can PM me if you have any questions or need me to walk you through any of this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When switching over to a new head unit, can you still use the factory antenna for Sirius? I'm going with a Pioneer head unit and i have to buy the Sirius Pioneer Connect package which includes an antenna. I dont want to put 2 antennas on the roof. Do you know if the factory antenna will work in this case?

Thank you

·
Registered
217 Posts
When switching over to a new head unit, can you still use the factory antenna for Sirius? I'm going with a Pioneer head unit and i have to buy the Sirius Pioneer Connect package which includes an antenna. I dont want to put 2 antennas on the roof. Do you know if the factory antenna will work in this case?
If the antenna connectors are the same, the factory antenna should work. If you do have to use the aftermarket antenna, you can put it at the end of the dashboard under the lower edge of the windshield. I've done a few like this. As long as they can "look" through the windshield they work fine there and are barely noticeable.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Thank you
Been looking at the Pioneer head units myself, which one did you go with?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i take it that upgraded to a "new headunit (REN)" means he changed out the radio.
Yes. I had a REC and bought a REN myGIG. I called Sirius and told them my radio was stolen. They wanted to charge me $15 to transfer my subscription to my new radio but I complained and they did it for free.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the antenna connectors are the same, the factory antenna should work. If you do have to use the aftermarket antenna, you can put it at the end of the dashboard under the lower edge of the windshield. I've done a few like this. As long as they can "look" through the windshield they work fine there and are barely noticeable.
I can't say I have the experience you have in this as you say you have done a few. In my one case I put the antenna on the dash as you described above and the radio constantly cut out. After a few months I had it moved to the outside on the roof above the windshield and reception improved immensely.

My expereince in switching was as follows. I had Sirius in my Charger when I got my Challenger. Sirius would not transfer my paid subscription to extend the free subscription I had to cancel my paid subscription.

As I side note I now get a mailing or email almost daily asking me why I left and how badly they want me back. Even though I still have a another paid subscription in my wife's car and I have my free subscription.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts