Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger SE V6 with 120k miles on it. I want to get the transmission serviced. I called a local oil change place and they said they "flush" the transmission but don't change the filter. Thinking this is kinda not what I'm used to, I called the dealer and asked about a tranny service. Service guy said they don't change the filter either, just flush it. What's up with this? I'm old school. In my day, you changed out the filter and fluid. Anybody can tell me what's the scoop these days?

Greg
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,019 Posts
Filter should be changed - with that many miles, you want to see what the inside of the pan looks like, plus what the filter looks like too.

If they don't do the job, I'd look for another place to go to.

Your car has the (MB) W5A580 (aka NAG1) transmission and it requires the ATF+4 fluid...it requires the fluid level checked at specific temperatures to assure the correct level.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,019 Posts
Wonder if it is a fine mesh screen rather than an actual filter?
There's an actual filter - here's what they look like: (the bottom side is the filter media)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
I've heard too many stories about transmissions being flushed, and failing soon afterwards. It mixes all the dirt up and spreads it all through the transmission.

I would drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, then refill with new fluid. I know you will still have a few quarts of old fluid in there from the torque converter, but it still beats flushing. Some older cars (Chrysler torqueflites) had a drain plug on the converter as well, but I doubt any do today.

Most transmission shops offer the fluid and filter change service if you don't want to do it yourself...........it is a messy job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
The reason fast lube joints don't want to drop the pan to do a filter is mostly liability, and secondly, having the correct parts inventory on hand... meaning they don't want to be responsible for any possible damage internally (breaking plastic parts or worse installing the wrong filter and/or finding out they don't have the right one they need for your vehicle it happens all the time) or externally (stripping pan bolts, causing pan leaks) so it's just not worth the hassle to them, it's much easier not to go anywhere near the trans and just deal with attaching their machine to the cooler lines up front and collect a cool 100+ dollars...you asked, I told...here's one i'm building that you need to totally disassemble to change the filter it's a Honda 5 speed automatic

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,019 Posts
The reason fast lube joints don't want to drop the pan to do a filter is mostly liability, and secondly, having the correct parts inventory on hand...

meaning they don't want to be responsible for any possible damage internally (breaking plastic parts or worse installing the wrong filter and/or finding out they don't have the right one they need for your vehicle it happens all the time) or externally (stripping pan bolts, causing pan leaks) so it's just not worth the hassle to them,
it's much easier not to go anywhere near the trans and just deal with attaching their machine to the cooler lines up front and collect a cool 100+ dollars...
For all the above reasons (and more), I'd never take a vehicle to a fast lube place (unless it was some POS that I was unloading down the road to a fly-by-night used dealer).

The "talent" as most of the fast lube places around my area - they probably didn't/couldn't graduate out of high school and other than fast food joints, this was the only "career" option they had available.

And their skill set...let's just be kind and say its limited at best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm past the lube joint now. My surprise is the local Dodge dealer telling the same thing. That where I'm lost. I’m having a hard time buying that.

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,683 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't have expected that from the dealer, either. I am just as curious as you, now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As an update. I called the dealer back and insisted I wanted a filter and fluid change. The price quoted then was $415 for both. I then called another dealer about 40 miles away. They quoted a fluid and filter change at $254. So, as a recap:

Oil Lube joint: $140 for transmission fluid flush (no filter)
Dealer One: $215 for transmission fluid flush (no filter). $415 WITH filter.
Dealer Two: $254 filter and fluid.

Go figure.

Greg
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,019 Posts
Dealer #2 sounds in the typical range for the comprehensive ATF fluid / filter service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
As an update. I called the dealer back and insisted I wanted a filter and fluid change. The price quoted then was $415 for both. I then called another dealer about 40 miles away. They quoted a fluid and filter change at $254. So, as a recap:

Oil Lube joint: $140 for transmission fluid flush (no filter)
Dealer One: $215 for transmission fluid flush (no filter). $415 WITH filter.
Dealer Two: $254 filter and fluid.

Go figure.

Greg
If you like doing your own work on the car why don't you try doing it your self, it's not that hard, drop the pan and remove the filter...once the filters off let it drain 20 min or so, by doing this you'll get at least have of the old fluid out of the torque converter (about 2 quarts)... this was considered a full transmission service in the past before the fluid exchange machine existed...if the converter had/has a drain plug you can expect to get 95% of the old fluid out, the other 5% was left in the cooler and lines, if not you'll have a little over 2 quarts left in the system which is not bad and beats just south of 300 bucks for someone else to do it for you. Most places that do flushes are going to use a bulk type fluid and not necessarily the right one for your car, if you do the work you can have piece of mind knowing the right type of fluid is in there and be proud to know it is well into your grasp to tackle the more involved and extensive services and repairs on your vehicle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
If you like doing your own work on the car why don't you try doing it your self, it's not that hard, drop the pan and remove the filter...once the filters off let it drain 20 min or so, by doing this you'll get at least have of the old fluid out of the torque converter (about 2 quarts)... this was considered a full transmission service in the past before the fluid exchange machine existed...if the converter had/has a drain plug you can expect to get 95% of the old fluid out, the other 5% was left in the cooler and lines, if not you'll have a little over 2 quarts left in the system which is not bad and beats just south of 300 bucks for someone else to do it for you. Most places that do flushes are going to use a bulk type fluid and not necessarily the right one for your car, if you do the work you can have piece of mind knowing the right type of fluid is in there and be proud to know it is well into your grasp to tackle the more involved and extensive services and repairs on your vehicle
would it be a safe statement to say if the amount of fluid drained was captured and measured while dropping the pan and filter, would be the same amount re-installed at the "non-removable" filler neck????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
i guess if the level was assessed cold and change was done cold and refilled to that level said tranny would be ok????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
i guess if the level was assessed cold and change was done cold and refilled to that level said tranny would be ok????
It doesn't work that way. Do it the way it's supposed to be done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
That's what I'm trying to figure out... how does a do it yourself do it the way " it supposed to be done"??
Get a Service Manual and follow the procedure in there.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top