Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post from Saudi Arabia.
Purchased my 2014 SXT like 3 weeks ago from a 2nd owner at 103,000KM

Im basically having an issue with my car, maybe lol, not sure.

Basically Im hearing a slight thud sound when shifting into any gear stationary, car moves like jumps when engaged into a gear, and when driving when I apply little throttle as possible it thuds lightly then immediately goes but its pretty quick, its like it takes half a second or a second to engage into gear. Theres also late shifts into gear sometimes.

When I took it to an exhaust shop to replace mufflers with magnflow ones I put my hand on the driveshaft and turned it and it turned along, i thought maybe thats not supposed to be turning at all? Maybe thats the gap causing the slight thud sound?

When braking hard there was a pretty big thud sound when coming to a stop immediately.

Ive read a lot on the alternator topics too, the car's speedometer power dims slightly and back up when turning the steering, pushing the window buttons up or down and indicators also slightly dim the cluster panel lights. Previous owner never changed or touched the battery. Its an exide battery. He added the Subwoofer system, maybe the power from the amplifier is eating up the battery or alternator current?

Here the things that have been done already.

1. Transmission oil and gear filter was replaced at 98,000KM
2. Took out no.2 from the trunk fuses box, dont know if it made any difference.
3. Engine oil done at 105,000KM

Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated, these slight thud sounds are doing my head in.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post from Saudi Arabia.
Purchased my 2014 SXT like 3 weeks ago from a 2nd owner at 103,000KM

Im basically having an issue with my car, maybe lol, not sure.

Basically Im hearing a slight thud sound when shifting into any gear stationary, car moves like jumps when engaged into a gear, and when driving when I apply little throttle as possible it thuds lightly then immediately goes but its pretty quick, its like it takes half a second or a second to engage into gear. Theres also late shifts into gear sometimes.

When I took it to an exhaust shop to replace mufflers with magnflow ones I put my hand on the driveshaft and turned it and it turned along, i thought maybe thats not supposed to be turning at all? Maybe thats the gap causing the slight thud sound?

When braking hard there was a pretty big thud sound when coming to a stop immediately.

Ive read a lot on the alternator topics too, the car's speedometer power dims slightly and back up when turning the steering, pushing the window buttons up or down and indicators also slightly dim the cluster panel lights. Previous owner never changed or touched the battery. Its an exide battery. He added the Subwoofer system, maybe the power from the amplifier is eating up the battery or alternator current?

Here the things that have been done already.

1. Transmission oil and gear filter was replaced at 98,000KM
2. Took out no.2 from the trunk fuses box, dont know if it made any difference.
3. Engine oil done at 105,000KM

Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated, these slight thud sounds are doing my head in.
There can be a mild "clunk" occasionally as the drive train has some play in it. One can experience this with the car in the air he can grasp the driveshaft and rotate it back and forth. Any movement is due to the u-joint bearings having a bit of normal free play along with some gear lash (free play) at the differential.

If this is clunk is particularly loud or occurs all the time that's not normal.

Based on what you wrote I kind of want to lay the blame for this clunking at the transmission. You had the transmission fluid and filter service done. If a fluid/filter service didn't help matters there's not much you can do other than be sure to eliminate other possible sources/explanations for the clunk (bad motor/transmission mount, a loose/bad suspension bushing, etc.) and if none found then consider having the transmission looked into, as in probably a rebuild or even a replacement with a new one.

'course, you should seek out a qualified tech and get his professional opinion before you go this route.

Think it is time to replace the battery. Check or have checked the alternator output after cold start and later after the engine and the rest of the car is up to temperature. An alternator can work ok for a while after cold start but then its output falls off and the car can manifest all sorts of odd behavior due to insufficient electrical power.

With any modification to the car's electrical powered systems, like the installation of a custom/aftermarket sound system, one has to suspect bad installation and check for exceptional power draw with the engine running and the sound system off and on and in use.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also noticed when applying the brake before pressing the start button, the lights below the tank reading all flick for like half a second on the cluster before starting the car, why is it doing that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts