Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a NAG1 transmission fluid dipstick, but it doesn't fit all the way in. When it reaches the bottom, about 14" of wire is still sticking out. Is this ok? It measures in increments from 10 all the way to 100.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
it is a measuring tool, vs. a dipstick that would remain in place.

There's specific fluid levels at a given temperature that would be measured at. Overfill, just like underfill will set codes and cause transmission go into limp mode.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a measuring tool, vs. a dipstick that would remain in place.

There's specific fluid levels at a given temperature that would be measured at. Overfill, just like underfill will set codes and cause transmission go into limp mode.
Ok cool, it measured 70 @ 190° and 40 @ 110° so I guess I'm pretty close.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Without the specific instructions as to what temp and at what level, how do you know you are close? I'd want it to be exact. That's why they took out the tranny dipstick, a precise set of measurements need to be made, something FCA doesn't want just anyone doing, then blowing up their tranny, and expecting it to be covered under warranty. It's possible you just voided your warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without the specific instructions as to what temp and at what level, how do you know you are close? I'd want it to be exact. That's why they took out the tranny dipstick, a precise set of measurements need to be made, something FCA doesn't want just anyone doing, then blowing up their tranny, and expecting it to be covered under warranty. It's possible you just voided your warranty.
It's a 2010, well out of warranty. I'm really close to factory spec

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
Not user serviceable. The system is sealed for a reason!!!!!!
Yes, it's sealed so you have to PAY the dealer to do something that used to be USER serviceable for many years.
Remember, it's always about trying to separate you from your money.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Yes, it's sealed so you have to PAY the dealer to do something that used to be USER serviceable for many years.
Remember, it's always about trying to separate you from your money.
Wow, so how do you earn your money? No doubt by separating someone else from their money, it's called business. It's not evil.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
transmissions have changed a great deal from the old days of the 3 speed automatics.

The systems are sealed so that an owner (or shop w/o the correct information) doesn't put Dexron III fluid [which is entirely the wrong ATF to use!| just because their '67 to '71 whatever model used that.

Plus ATF fluid expands with temperature. The modern automatics are particular about fluid levels. I know on the A5 (NAG1 / WA580) there's a fluid level float.

In the event of fluid level being too low or too high - this will set a "limp mode". If the transmission heats up too much, the fluid level will expand and this will trip a high fluid level error as well...this is to protect the transmission from damage.

These transmissions also have sensors within the conductor plate that monitors ATF temperature, which if over limit - sets limp mode to avoid damage to the unit.

The ZF A8s are a "fill and spill" system, with an range of temperature to determine the correct fluid levels.

These transmissions have a longer service interval - unless there are leaks or mechanical symptoms...you service it at the recommended intervals.

If the unit is low on fluid, it would set an error code - its tied into the PCM.

Reman ZF A8s run nearly $6k (and core charges are $1.5k) - so its best not to mess with something that can be messed up by not doing it right.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ok cool, it measured 70 @ 190° and 40 @ 110° so I guess I'm pretty close.

Sounds right.

Tom.

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
the special tool is just that, a tool, not to be left in, you must know temperature of the transmission in order to check level
Luke

1427348.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts