Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I need to change the transmission fluid for my Dodge Challenger SRT 392 Automatic (2016).

What is the correct fluid (part number) and how much will I need?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,863 Posts
The best source for this information is your Owner's Manual. Look under fluid capacities/specifications.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says Mopar ZF8&9 Speed ATF, but i need part number in order to place the order online.

Also, cant find information about the capacity

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
There's a procedure to service this trans and get it filled correctly, not sure I'd mess with it. Guess something happened that you need service so soon.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
68218925GA appears to the part # for the ZF 8 & 9 speed ATF

68157995GB also shows up alongside that first part #

this stuff runs ~ $15 / quart - list is nearly $18/ qt.
[its a dark green color fluid]

The trans pan has an integral filter, so you have to buy a new pan for that service.

The range of temps required for checking level: [with a scan tool]
with engine running.

86 - 122* F
30 - 50* C

The level is first checked cold to determine if level is adequate as a starting point.

There's a number of steps - where it clearly would be advisable to do this on a lift. Trying to do this in a driveway would be tough.

Plus you have to check the fluid level before its too hot, with engine running and reaching the fill plug that has the exhaust system alongside it.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do it myself. In the video it discusses an additional step due to the Thermostatic By-Pass Valve in the tranny cooler lines.

It recommends getting the vehicle fully up to temperature, driving it and then allow to cool down and re-check the fluid level.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I saw it on Amazon for $29 a quart a couple days ago.

They call it a lifetime fill. Is there a reason you want to do the service?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes there is oil leaking from the trans pan, so i must do it.

I read in the service manual and it actually says i need this transmission fluid 68218925AA

·
Registered
9,456 Posts

I read in the service manual and it actually says i need this transmission fluid 68218925AA

There’s an oil leak from the transmission and you want to change the oil. OKAY
How about taking it into the dealer. It’s still under warranty you know

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually i am from Macedonia, dont have any dealer near me so i will have to service it here.
Local mechanic is very experienced. He actually says it is leaking from a connector on the transmission, so in order to seal this connector he will need to dump the oil first.
I dont have any other choice. Dont think it is that complicated procedure.
Also i found lots of information on how to do this. Please look at the pictures attached

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts

Chrylser part #s revise if they part (or formulation) has been updated or coming from a new supplier that produced the part or fluid.

The part # you have is the same as the first one I found, just with different suffix letters. Typically the 1st is ***A, then ****B and so forth, but the printed materials were produced at one point in time and the latest version of the part # could have been updated within the system.

Good luck with the process - like in the video, probably a good idea for the mechanic to road test then let it cool down and re-check the fluid level.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Actually i am from Macedonia, dont have any dealer near me so i will have to service it here.

Local mechanic is very experienced. He actually says it is leaking from a connector on the transmission, so in order to seal this connector he will need to dump the oil first.

I dont have any other choice. Dont think it is that complicated procedure.

Also i found lots of information on how to do this. Please look at the pictures attached

Ok now I get it. Forgive me. I’m a little slow:)
Well then that’s a good reason to change the oil. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts