Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 srt8 6 speed manuel
when down shifting, the shifter is hard to pull out of gear, also when shifting from first to second, the shifter wants to go to forth gear instead, and you have to really pull it over to get into to second. The dealer said the its the clutch, from driving hard, but the clutch feels fine, no slipping, and the peddle feels good. A transmission guy said it could possibly be a pilote bearing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Well it going from first to fourth gear is normal. That is the skip shift built into the trans. "saves gas" at least thats what its for. As for the hard to get out of gear, its possible that its a clutch but it could be many other things as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Two things taking place here:

1) the hard shifting out of gear may be that the clutch splines (Cruiser Dan posted this before) need to be cleaned and lubricated. The clutch drags on the splines and won't release properly, causing higher effort shifts.

2) the shift from 1st to 4th (under the right conditions) is the skip-shift function when accelerating moderately in 1st and trying to shift @ 19-21mph...those conditions will trigger the skip-shift operation.

Not a good idea to force the shifter...that solenoid required about 40# of force to overcome it and that's not good for the shifter linkage or shift rods - that's a lot of stress on the parts trying to overcome the solenoid.

You can get a skip-shift eliminator dongle (plug and play) for around $15-$18 bucks (some vendors on the site sell them). The other way is more expensive using the Diablo Trinity programmer that can defeat the skip-shift operation.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Two things taking place here:

1) the hard shifting out of gear may be that the clutch splines (Cruiser Dan posted this before) need to be cleaned and lubricated. The clutch drags on the splines and won't release properly, causing higher effort shifts.

2) the shift from 1st to 4th (under the right conditions) is the skip-shift function when accelerating moderately in 1st and trying to shift @ 19-21mph...those conditions will trigger the skip-shift operation.

Not a good idea to force the shifter...that solenoid required about 40# of force to overcome it and that's not good for the shifter linkage or shift rods - that's a lot of stress on the parts trying to overcome the solenoid.

You can get a skip-shift eliminator dongle (plug and play) for around $15-$18 bucks (some vendors on the site sell them). The other way is more expensive using the Diablo Trinity programmer that can defeat the skip-shift operation.
Ditto. The 1st to 4th issue is definitely the skip shift feature. It is documented in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This is somewhat of a high-tech car with a lot of new high-tech type items. I just hate to say this....but I am truely amazed at how many people that have bought this expensive car just don't take the time to read their owners manual. How would anyone get through the EVIC or evtertainment center without reading it?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
...... I am truely amazed at how many people that have bought this expensive car just don't take the time to read their owners manual...............

Come on, "When all else fails, you read the instructions"

Ever seen a kid read instructions about a toy at Christmas?

All I'm saying is, I was way too excited when I picked up my car to sit there and read the manual, before I left the dealership.
I pressed buttons and knobs all the way home, was like Christmas for me.

Besides, it is way easier to ask for help then to read! (we all do it):browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Come on, "When all else fails, you read the instructions"

Ever seen a kid read instructions about a toy at Christmas?

All I'm saying is, I was way too excited when I picked up my car to sit there and read the manual, before I left the dealership.
I pressed buttons and knobs all the way home, was like Christmas for me.

Besides, it is way easier to ask for help then to read! (we all do it):browsmiley:
Just trying to be helpful. There are many, many things you will not learn unless you read the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info

we pulled the trans, because there is metel in the trans fluid. the clutch looks good. doesn;t seem to be any problems there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts