Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
that's what's happening.

put the Parking Brake on, let off brake to let the brake set, then shift to Park.

you were loading up the driveline and the parking pawl. That clunk noise was the force of the pawl trying to release.

I see many people that park the AT vehicles and watch as the weight rolls against the pawl - and how hard they pull on the shifter to get it out of park.

the bushings and linkage take a beating doing that. That's one of the reasons a Parking Brake is used for.

Reactions: YouMadBro

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m glad my suggestion was able to help. I’m also happy to now know why it works. I didn’t even know this parking pawl thing existed. Lol

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The Parking Brake suggestion worked. I put the Parking brake on last night when I got home. No loud Clunk this morning when got in car and put it into Reverse. I guess the transmission has less "adjustments/slack" when the Parking brake is used on an inclined driveway..
Transmission (the entire drive train) has the same amount of slack regardless if the parking brake is used or not. The parking brake "locks" the car with the slack all taken up.

Just this AM in a drive through I shifted the transmission into P while I waited. Did not apply the parking brake. Did not keep my foot on the brake pedal the entire time.

Finally someone came to the window to take my money and after I got my change I quickly shifted from P to D. There was a clunk.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts