Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a tiny issue with the transmission. Car has around 13500 miles on it. I noticed when I drive around on city streets that are decently wide open the transmission has sorta a jumping around trying to find a gear. When it does, usually 7-8 upshift, I kinda feel a mild jolt. Usually if I feel this in a Chrysler it usually results in a few more brief jolts, then a check engine light would appear. But on this car it doesn't happen. I noticed on my fiances 18 charger hers jolts from 4-5 and 5-4... Mine usually only jolts 7-8. Wondering if there is a fuse Incan pull to reset the learning on the transmission like u could with older models 20190202_115902.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
If 5.7L you may just be feeling MDS switching between 4-8 cyl modes. If you're paying attention you can feel the transition.

Or is there a slight engine speed change when this happens? You may be feeling the converter lock/unlock.

Both of these things can be felt by an attentive driver during light throttle cruise.

And yes you can clear adaptive data in the TCM, but your shift quality is likely to degrade somewhat as the TCM resets to default shift tables.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,836 Posts
Fuse 29 is the one powering the “adaptive” circuit I believe in the later model Challengers. It is fuse #2 in the older models. There are recent posts here that have discussed this. As I write this, fuse #31 keeps popping off in my head. Almost certain it is 29, but may be 31. Make sure engine off and pull fuses for 15 seconds. See what happens after you run it after this procedure.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,552 Posts
Fuse # 31 is the adaptives. Fuse# 29 the TCM

A Guy

Reactions: RocketRob99

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts
Assuming the engine load is light at the times you notice this behavior, I wonder if you are feeling the (normal) operation of the lockup converter disengaging when the trans is shifting from gear 7 to gear 8.

Have you tried putting the transmission in Autostick mode and manually upshifting the 7 to 8 gear switch to see if the behavior is still observed/felt? If it cannot be replicated when using AutoStick to manually shift, I would be much more confident the behavior was attributable to the shift-learning algorithms in TCM (and therefore addressable by resetting adaptives).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assuming the engine load is light at the times you notice this behavior, I wonder if you are feeling the (normal) operation of the lockup converter disengaging when the trans is shifting from gear 7 to gear 8.

Have you tried putting the transmission in Autostick mode and manually upshifting the 7 to 8 gear switch to see if the behavior is still observed/felt? If it cannot be replicated when using AutoStick to manually shift, I would be much more confident the behavior was attributable to the shift-learning algorithms in TCM (and therefore addressable by resetting adaptives).
I actually did try this. I still feel it.. this morning I didn't feel it.. I didn't notice erratic shifting, but so the transmission was at around 90 degrees. So I have it the benefit of the doubt it was needing to warm up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts
IDK, that’s a head scratcher as to what’s going on.

The ZF A8s in these cars are pretty solid transmissions, there aren’t any inherent issues with them (that I am aware of) that would be to blame here.

Can you record a short vid snippet of the behavior to help get an idea of what it feels/sounds like?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a similar issue with the 2-3 shift. When it was brand new the shifts were seemless. After a while, when the car was cold, the shift was more prominent. By the time I drove it to the dealership, it was warmed up and no issue. I believe it was the TCM learning that I like to go fast.
Now I really don't notice it. Not sure if I got used to it or it smoothed out. Haven't really though about it.

If you pull Fuse #31, it should go to factory reset, but then it starts learning again, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts