Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
Last aug. I bought a used se with 29000 miles on it in what appeared to be great shape from a near by dealer. its a 2009 with a 3 speed transmission. Ive noticed that sometimes it doesnt seem to want to go into overdrive unless you are above 50 mph and if it does any movment of the gas pedal either way will cause it to down shift back into third. I traded a 1996 intrepid in on it with close to 200000 miles on it and we still have a 2002 intrepid in the family with 146000 miles on it and neither of them did this. is there any info on problems such as mine or is this just normal for the challenger. the car is still under warranty until this sept. but I dont trust the dealer in my area. any info would be great!!!!!!!
thank you--------mike :werd:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Are you sure it's a 3 speed? It won't matter to me because I aint a tranny guy but someone that might be able to help you might need that info..I've heard of 4 and 5 speed autos but not 3.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
HI all,
Last aug. I bought a used se with 29000 miles on it in what appeared to be great shape from a near by dealer. its a 2009 with a 3 speed transmission. Ive noticed that sometimes it doesnt seem to want to go into overdrive unless you are above 50 mph and if it does any movment of the gas pedal either way will cause it to down shift back into third. I traded a 1996 intrepid in on it with close to 200000 miles on it and we still have a 2002 intrepid in the family with 146000 miles on it and neither of them did this. is there any info on problems such as mine or is this just normal for the challenger. the car is still under warranty until this sept. but I dont trust the dealer in my area. any info would be great!!!!!!!
Just a little correction, you have a 4-speed. 4th gear is an overdrive, but that is still a gear.

I only test drove the 4-speed, I have a 2010 so its the 5speed. I don't have any behavior like that. Needing to be over 50 probably sound right, as you don't want to go into overdrive too slow as it will lug the engine. The quick downshift most people seem to want, maybe you got lucky?

How long have you been driving it? I'm not sure if the 4-speed is adaptive like the 5, maybe it is taking some time to learn your driving behavior?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys, yea its a 4 speed. GM would consider it a 3 speed with overdrive. anyway, i thank you for the response and im hoping its just normal for the challengers to do this. I might do fluid and filter change this spring and see if that helps. may also install lock pick for radio.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
sorry guys, yea its a 4 speed. GM would consider it a 3 speed with overdrive. anyway, i thank you for the response and im hoping its just normal for the challengers to do this. I might do fluid and filter change this spring and see if that helps. may also install lock pick for radio.
You might want to look into the change thing. I know mine don't have a dipstick and you have to buy one and use specail proceedures to check it. You might have to have someone do it for you if your not use to these things. Just something to think about. If you get the Lock pick get a camera too. they are cheep if you buy it as a set and they are great.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This behavior is not normal. The 42RLE will stay in third if it is cool, but after a few minutes it will shift to fourth around 35->40 mph. Even after I had my supercharger on, it adapted to the increase in torque. (Slow speed cruising, not WOT.)

Use your warranty and get to a dealer. Don't play with it as this may be an old transmission but the last version is complex, especially in its fuzzy logic controller. I learned quite a bit about this transmission and several issues could be causing your problem, use the warranty while it still exists.

HI all,
Last aug. I bought a used se with 29000 miles on it in what appeared to be great shape from a near by dealer. its a 2009 with a 3 speed transmission. Ive noticed that sometimes it doesnt seem to want to go into overdrive unless you are above 50 mph and if it does any movment of the gas pedal either way will cause it to down shift back into third. ................ the car is still under warranty until this sept. but I dont trust the dealer in my area. any info would be great!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks matrix, I just might have to do that. the reason I brought up GM is that I turned a wrench for them for 12 years doing engine and transmission builds but left them back in 94. I know things have changed since then, I just hate to let anyone work on my stuff but this might be what I'll have to do before the warranty runs out. It maybe that the transmission isnt getting warn enough on the way home from work. I only travel 7 miles one way( city driving) and even though engine gets to operating temp maybe trans fluid isnt warnm enough. its been damn cold here this winter. guess I'll find out this spring. if anyone gets a chance, how about letting me know how long it takes for there trans to warm up and shift into over drive. thanks again!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might want to look into the change thing. I know mine don't have a dipstick and you have to buy one and use specail proceedures to check it. You might have to have someone do it for you if your not use to these things. Just something to think about. If you get the Lock pick get a camera too. they are cheep if you buy it as a set and they are great.

thanks for info.I just might do that. which lock pick and camera did you get? I know the install is no sweat but Ive heard that some people have been having problems with theres. all well with yours?
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Mine isn't the same as yours but it shifts right from the getgo. I let it run 10 min. before taking off from the house on days below 32 F but it never seems to shift any differant when I drive it after setting for hours and not warming it up. Mine is a 5 speed and they may be a differant animal. Like I said earlier it's the first auto I ever saw without a dipstick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts