Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! 馃憢

I have a new Scat Pack Widebody with the automatic transmission. It is very slow to go into gear, say from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive. It feels as if I have a manual transmission and I'm holding the clutch halfway out. I would estimate this delay to last 1.5 to 2 seconds. Very strange and completely different from my previous R/T. The dealership says it is normal based on driving a similar car on their lot.

Has anyone experienced this delay? Thanks.

Registered
Yeah, my wifes 18 T/A does the same thing, pretty annoying but of course dealer says "operating as designed"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other feedback or experience with this issue?

Yeah, my wifes 18 T/A does the same thing, pretty annoying but of course dealer says "operating as designed"
Thanks for the reply. Do you know, does your wife's car tend to 'hang' in neutral before going into drive? Mine feels like a half-engaged clutch when going into drive. The engine will rev to 2k or so and then slowly start moving until the clutches engage.

Registered
Not that I can say for certain, she drives it daily when it's nice and she says her only complaint is that there's quite a long pause from reverse to drive

Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
My 1320 has the same slight delay from Park to Reverse or Park to Drive also, i assumed it's just a characteristic of the A8, (works perfect otherwise).

Registered
How strange to see this post. My buddy was just talking about this issue a few days ago. He described his new A8 Challenger delays for a second or two going into drive as if the transmission was a CVT unit. His Honda does the same thing and that car has a CVT in it.

Other than this slight delay, he says that it shifts and operates perfectly. It's annoying him more than anything else. Dealer said it's a characteristic of the A8 but who knows.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How strange to see this post. My buddy was just talking about this issue a few days ago. He described his new A8 Challenger delays for a second or two going into drive as if the transmission was a CVT unit. His Honda does the same thing and that car has a CVT in it.

Other than this slight delay, he says that it shifts and operates perfectly. It's annoying him more than anything else. Dealer said it's a characteristic of the A8 but who knows.
It's not at all like my other Challenger that had the exact same 8HP70 Trans.

Registered
Hi all! 馃憢

I have a new Scat Pack Widebody with the automatic transmission. It is very slow to go into gear, say from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive. It feels as if I have a manual transmission and I'm holding the clutch halfway out. I would estimate this delay to last 1.5 to 2 seconds. Very strange and completely different from my previous R/T. The dealership says it is normal based on driving a similar car on their lot.

Has anyone experienced this delay? Thanks.
I have a 2019 scat pack automatic that does the same thing. It also seems to barely roll in drive on level pavement. Not near as bad in sport or track mode. Yes,dealer said if engagement occurs under 3 seconds and no codes it is not a problem. Never had a car that does this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2019 scat pack automatic that does the same thing. It also seems to barely roll in drive on level pavement. Not near as bad in sport or track mode. Yes,dealer said if engagement occurs under 3 seconds and no codes it is not a problem. Never had a car that does this.
It's totally annoying! My wife's old Mazda CX-9 engages drive in like .5 seconds. So weird, and like I said, my old '16 R/T did not act this way. I'm really disappointed by it.

My 1320 has the same slight delay from Park to Reverse or Park to Drive also, i assumed it's just a characteristic of the A8, (works perfect otherwise).
Have you ever taken it to the dealer to be checked out? Or is it bothersome to you?

Registered
Interesting. I was surprised to see this for the ZF 8HP70.

I was figuring it was the Nag1 (W5A580). The one before the now current .(ZF) A8's . What you describe is a little like what happens in my 2016 Jeep Wrangler, with automatic.
If I put it in drive directly from Park, it feel like when it goes into drive, its a 'two-step ' process. it connects and then slides in, and 'click', engaged, then starts to move. Not hesitation but more like a two step process to enter 'Drive' if that makes sense? Its pretty quick I would say in 'under' 2 seconds, so I never mess with it. I modified my process instead.
If you shift into reverse directly, its immediate, clunk immediately, reverse starts to move.

Now I have found if I go from Park to 'neutral' , and let it idle and minute. it seems more immediate. ( I think). Yeah I always go to neutral and let it idle for at least 20 seconds now.

My reasoning is if the W5A580, has a pump that starts running when in neutral, like a 48RE, it gets the fluid going up in the torque converter when in neutral, where the pump may not be running in park ? I don't know for sure.
Then if you go from neutral to drive, engages immediately, & starts to move. The engine control computer is pretty smart, it drops the RPM of the engine at the precise moment you engage drive or reverse, and makes it a very smooth shift into gear. It operates fine.

I know this doesn't help since its not the ZF 'A8' transmission, but try dropping it into neutral first and let it idle 20 or 30 seconds, then drop it in the gear you want, and see if its more immediate to engage?
Maybe its needing fluid in the torque converter and the pump needs to pump it up in there first. It could be a programmed a delay to get fluid there first and then engage the forward or reverse?
I always let mine idle a bit in neutral before going into drive, or reverse. I will test going to drive immediately, and see what it does.
I really like the ZF8HP70 its a smooth shifting transmission. Hope this helps a littl,
best regards
parrott

Registered
Interesting. I was surprised to see this for the ZF 8HP70.

I was figuring it was the Nag1 (W5A580). The one before the now current .(ZF) A8's . What you describe is a little like what happens in my 2016 Jeep Wrangler, with automatic.
If I put it in drive directly from Park, it feel like when it goes into drive, its a 'two-step ' process. it connects and then slides in, and 'click', engaged, then starts to move. Not hesitation but more like a two step process to enter 'Drive' if that makes sense? Its pretty quick I would say in 'under' 2 seconds, so I never mess with it. I modified my process instead.
If you shift into reverse directly, its immediate, clunk immediately, reverse starts to move.

Now I have found if I go from Park to 'neutral' , and let it idle and minute. it seems more immediate. ( I think). Yeah I always go to neutral and let it idle for at least 20 seconds now.

My reasoning is if the W5A580, has a pump that starts running when in neutral, like a 48RE, it gets the fluid going up in the torque converter when in neutral, where the pump may not be running in park ? I don't know for sure.
Then if you go from neutral to drive, engages immediately, & starts to move. The engine control computer is pretty smart, it drops the RPM of the engine at the precise moment you engage drive or reverse, and makes it a very smooth shift into gear. It operates fine.

I know this doesn't help since its not the ZF 'A8' transmission, but try dropping it into neutral first and let it idle 20 or 30 seconds, then drop it in the gear you want, and see if its more immediate to engage?
Maybe its needing fluid in the torque converter and the pump needs to pump it up in there first. It could be a programmed a delay to get fluid there first and then engage the forward or reverse?
I always let mine idle a bit in neutral before going into drive, or reverse. I will test going to drive immediately, and see what it does.
I really like the ZF8HP70 its a smooth shifting transmission. Hope this helps a littl,
best regards
parrott
Thanks, I'll try it from neutral and see what happens. It is a very smooth and quick shifting trans. No other symptoms except this delay.There is no "clunk" like most cars when going to drive or reverse. It has to be computer controlled because there is no linkage.The car barely moves in drive almost like a lack of hydraulic pressure,however in sport or track mode the car moves fine.. Anyway no slipage or throttle delay. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts