Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Challenger 5.7 Hemi with an Automatic does not have a tramsmission dipstick. I purchased a 2011 Ram with a 5.7 with an Automatic and it has a transmission dipstick. Could I buy a dipstick and put in on my Challenger? The transmissions are not the same because the truck shifts at different RPMs. I read on here a while back that the dealer has to check the transmission fluid at a certain tempature with special tools. That sounds expensive. Just courious.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
yes there is a tool( dipstick ) the dealer tech uses to check the level. I know its made by Miller tool but do not have the part number.Im sure your dealer can look it up

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Thanks Mike, might need one of these in my future.

·
Registered
102 Posts
NAG1 Dipstick

More information on using calibration/dipstick for NAG1 (auto) transmission.

Top 160+ CHallenger Tips'n Tricks #59 NAG1 DipStick and Transmission Level Checking:

You can do this yourself with proper tools and info.

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I bought the dipstick and it works for both our vehicles. It is a service tool only and you do not leave it in the vehicle except when checking.
I checked our vehicles with the factory fill and against the charts so I would be familiar with how it reads and compares to the chart when I actually need to use it later.
It is a ruler attached to a piece of aircraft cable with a handle. It just reads in mm from where it bottoms on the pan so I guess you could make one if you had more time than money.

I also saw a post somewhere where a guy attached a oven thermometer sensor to the dipstick to read the temperature.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2009 Challenger 5.7 Hemi with an Automatic does not have a tramsmission dipstick. I purchased a 2011 Ram with a 5.7 with an Automatic and it has a transmission dipstick. Could I buy a dipstick and put in on my Challenger? The transmissions are not the same because the truck shifts at different RPMs. I read on here a while back that the dealer has to check the transmission fluid at a certain tempature with special tools. That sounds expensive. Just courious.
Just an FYI about these two transmissions, they are two completely different units. The trans in the Challenger is the w5a580 5 speed automatic that is basically a Mercedes Benz transmission built by Chrysler (they call it the NAG1). The trans in your Ram is the all Chrysler designed & built 545RFE 5 speed auto, which is a strictly truck only transmission. This is why there are such large differences between the two.

·
Registered
954 Posts
there are some websites that address this with a vw jetta,i think they say tranny pan temp needs to be 190 F. I have noticed the old 727 transmissions were some of the most widely varying fluid levels depending on temps,ive got one that will read full until its good and hot then it actually goes down a pint(seems like it would be the other way around)it would be good if someone could get info on the lenght of the ''tool'' dipstick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts