Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been driving cars with Manual transmissions since the first day I started driving. I have taken advanced driving classes with manual transmissions. I have never had such issues with getting into gear as I have had with my Challenger. I have performed the CDV, installed the Barton Shifter, and tired different fluids. All have helped but that damn Tremec still fights me. I was completely sideways, feathering the pedeal on redline, needed to get into second gear and bam... Grind.....Grind...Grind at 6k... Pissed me right off.. Hopefully I haven't damaged 2nd gear.. I have never had a grind that bad in my life.. Stress!!

Had to vent!!!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I hear ya. At 65 having driven MT since 15, this is the only transmission that takes away any confidence you had shifting gears. never know when you will grind 2nd!

My Tremec sucks and so does Dodge for allowing Tremec to get away with crappy assembly tolerance specs.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,094 Posts
Same thing here guys. It’s that darn 2nd gear or the synchro from what has been said. It’s amazing that a tiny less than $100 part is supposedly the culprit. I have been putting off having it replaced, but I think I’m going to finally get it taken care of after I move back stateside this summer.

I was going through all my old car documents and realized that I purchased the extended warranty for my 2013 SRT so I still have coverage till next summer. Perhaps I can get it fixed for just the deductible. I had talked with Luke about it years ago and just never got a chance between work and life. But seems like I may just have to make it happen.

Anyhow, I agree with all the shifting issues. It’s embarrassing when it happens and always at the most inconvenient moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This issue turns up with Tremec 6 speeds no matter the manufacturer. Same crap in the 2011 SS Camaro I used to own (don't get me started on that POS). It's better but not completely better in the 2015 Dodge.

That said, I have seen only one way to completely fix this problem. Pay a specialty transmission shop to rebuild it top to bottom. The base service is several thousand dollars and you can go up from there if you require your trans to handle 4 digit horsepower or any other special performance circumstance.

The shop that does this has several posts here on the forum that shows you the entire process and why the 2nd gear issue exists in the first place. I've driven a vehicle that has gone through their rebuild process and for those of you who are older, the feel is the same as the 1980s Borg-Warner T-5 five speed that you would find in gen 3 Camaros. It's a pleasure to shift after these guys fix what Tremec still refuses to do.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,094 Posts
This issue turns up with Tremec 6 speeds no matter the manufacturer. Same crap in the 2011 SS Camaro I used to own (don't get me started on that POS). It's better but not completely better in the 2015 Dodge.

That said, I have seen only one way to completely fix this problem. Pay a specialty transmission shop to rebuild it top to bottom. The base service is several thousand dollars and you can go up from there if you require your trans to handle 4 digit horsepower or any other special performance circumstance.

The shop that does this has several posts here on the forum that shows you the entire process and why the 2nd gear issue exists in the first place. I've driven a vehicle that has gone through their rebuild process and for those of you who are older, the feel is the same as the 1980s Borg-Warner T-5 five speed that you would find in gen 3 Camaros. It's a pleasure to shift after these guys fix what Tremec still refuses to do.

Learned to drive manual in an 80s Camaro, my first car. I miss it.... Any idea of the name of the posts or the shop that shows the rebuild they do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,094 Posts

Exactly! Cheap part, but labor is insane. Transmission work is something I hav e never done and not sure I would want to. Unless someone out there has any pointers. Although going to see [email protected] might just be easier and give more piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Learned to drive manual in an 80s Camaro, my first car. I miss it.... Any idea of the name of the posts or the shop that shows the rebuild the do? Thanks in advance.

It think it was either Tick or RPM. I recall the thread was in the problems section and it had a very detailed description of why things were not working along with a ton of pictures.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,094 Posts
It think it was either Tick or RPM. I recall the thread was in the problems section and it had a very detailed description of why things were not working along with a ton of pictures.

Thanks. I’ll take a look.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had issues with mine years ago when I first bought it. The Barton helped a lot.

What fixed it 95% was shifting 1-2 a couple hundred rpm sooner. I found not bouncing it off the redline cleared up all of my shifting issues.

I’ve had one 1-2 miss-shift in the last year or so. Maybe the transmission taught me what it likes or maybe I’ve changed my habit pattern but it’s essentially a non-issue now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sorry to report my 2018 ZL1 1LE shifts like butter box stock....what ever Chevy did its fixes everything with this trans. I dunno if its re engineered or what but its night and day different then the one in my 2011 and I really never had much of an issue with mine to start with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dont know a lot about the challengers manual transmission, but my impression was that the Tremec was a really good buillet proof transmission. I guess I was wrong.

I am thinking of buying a scatpack widebody, should I stick with the automatic? I am not paying a shop to rebuild my transmission, if i can help it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts