Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re the 6 speed trans:

it is rated to 600 ft-lbs torque or 600 hp -right?

So is that the recommended maximum to the *wheels*

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
to rephrase

1. if 600 ft-lbs torque = 600 hp

2. then the rating of 600 hp is at the wheels(likely) or at the crank?

if at the wheels, then maximum engine output at the crank for the tremec tr6060 to handle is around 667 hp?

Thanks again:confused:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The way I understand it is the clutch is good to up to 700 and the gearbox 600 coming off of the flywheel. They wouldn't "rate" a tranny to the wheels cause it's before the wheels and it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
600 at the fly?

Is this trans then adequate for supposed hellcat numbers(in the mid 600s)?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
600 at the fly?

Is this trans then adequate for supposed hellcat numbers(in the mid 600s)?

That's a good question. Cause everywhere I read this gear box is limited to 600 on the torque. Now realize, torque is spinning force. It's NOT horsepower. That being said, you can have, let's say, a 670 HP Hellcat as long as the torque is less than 600, for the TR6060 that is. If you look at most high performance cars you'll see that they almost all the time have more horse than torque.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There are people with over 1000 hp going through the stock internals of the TR6060 with it still holding up (obviously upgraded clutch). In our cars I'm pretty certain the diff and axles would go before you have to worry about the transmission.

It also depends a lot on how you drive it too, I found this on Tremec's site:

"Our T-56 Magnum 6-speed is rated to accept as much as 700-lb. ft. of sustained torque in a vehicle weighing as much as 4,500 lbs. However, in a case where warranty considerations are not as great of a concern, it is important to note that TREMEC Transmissions can often handle substantially more power if the user practices common sense and understands the failure conditions of a given driveline part. For example: A four-thousand-pound-plus car launching at high rpm on drag slicks is more likely to cause a failure than a lighter weight, smaller displacement, street car on aggressive street radials."

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
Simply answering this question would be the fact that this transmission is used in the vipers with 600 hp
The Viper versions have heat-treated internals to improve durability for the higher output of the V10.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah. And a console. Im just brain storming. Im leaning towards making a rediculous hp car, just dont think the 6spd will handle it. And thru work, I can get a 100 mile used auto for next to nothing, its just a matter of making it work

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The TR 6060 is holding up fine on both of my supercharged Challenger. They both had SPEC clutches installed as part of the builds.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Dyno sheet for my 2009 Challenger:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ive had both viper and LC tr6060 apart and factory trained on these. The only difference between the two is gear ratios and the viper one has some viper stampings on them. That's it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts