Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
After having my '09 SRT covered up in the garage for a month i decided to hook up my old trickle charger...but with the battery in the trunk, can i hook it up to the jumper points under the hood or does it have to be direct to the battery in the trunk? didn't even think of it until i went to do it?
probably a dumb question.....:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I think that's the same electrical point and don't see a problem. The hood light will be on and be drawing current but the charger should overcome that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've never used a trickle charger on a car, but I've never had a garage queen like my Challenger is. I'll probably need to charge it a time, or two, this winter.

I don't know how trickle chargers work on car batteries for a long period of time, but I've heard a number of stories of people's batteries going bad when they left their Harley on one over the winter. I don't leave mine on my Harley, but hook it up about every month, or two, during the winter. I leave it on just long enough to get it fully charged. I know these batteries aren't supposed to have "memories", but still....

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I hooked up my trickle charger to the points under the hood after she sat for 3 weeks. It took over 36 hours to reach a full charge. You can close the hood until it rests on the latch to keep the hood light off.

I now keep her on a trickle charger 24/7 during these winter months until I can start driving her regularly.

Was hoping to get her out today, but they salted all the roads and closed schools today based on the threat of snow. It was sunny and in the low 50s! THere's another day the kids will be in school come spring...

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I've seen TV adds for a new small trickle charger. Can't remember the name, but they make several different versions.

It appears that you can leave it hooked up all the time to the car, and then plug it into the outlet when you want to charge.

I'll have to look into one of these

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
I keep a Battery Tender on mine connected under the hood during storage and it works great.

What hood light are you guys referring to? My 09 does not have a hood light.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I keep a Battery Tender on mine connected under the hood during storage and it works great.

What hood light are you guys referring to? My 09 does not have a hood light.
I have a light under my hood when open. It must be part of one of the option packages on my car if it's not on all Challengers.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I guess I was thinking of another car your right I don't have an underhood light just a trunk one. Sorry about that

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I've never used a trickle charger on a car, but I've never had a garage queen like my Challenger is. I'll probably need to charge it a time, or two, this winter.

I don't know how trickle chargers work on car batteries for a long period of time, but I've heard a number of stories of people's batteries going bad when they left their Harley on one over the winter. I don't leave mine on my Harley, but hook it up about every month, or two, during the winter. I leave it on just long enough to get it fully charged. I know these batteries aren't supposed to have "memories", but still....
I plugged my Harley into a Battery Tender quick connect every time I parked it in my garage. I never had any issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you don't want to hook up a trickle charger you can always pop the shipping fuse in the trunks fuse panel. My car has eaten 2 batteries during storage and the dealer told me to do this and no problems since. In the trunk fuse box it is the fuse on the far left, and you just pull it up. It leaves enough power to drop the window when you open the door. When you want to start the car, there is a 2 second delay when you turn the pod or push the start button. NOTE: When this fuse is popped the key fob buttons will NOT work and you must turn the car to the on position to use the trunk button.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
battery tender is a good idea. Mine is hard wired in the car with a quick disconnect. It is on all the time during storage. My only fear is I will try to pull out of the garage on a sunny day without remembering to unhook it :))

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
sorry, never answered the original question. The jumper terminals under the hood are fine. There is no under hood light on these cars.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I too use the Battery Tender brand trickle charger. I leave it on my Road King (motorcycle) all winter each year. It has circuitry to maintain the battery and can be left on indefinitely. My current motorcycle battery is now 7 years old (really old for a motorcycle battery) and still cranks the big twin over with little effort.

There may be some trickle chargers out there that lack this circuitry and could possibly damage batteries, but the brand I mentioned above will work perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
battery tender is a good idea. Mine is hard wired in the car with a quick disconnect. It is on all the time during storage. My only fear is I will try to pull out of the garage on a sunny day without remembering to unhook it :))
I have exactly the same setup and I have exactly the same worry. A Battery Tender goes into the wall, to a 25-ft extension cord (get 'em cheap on EBay) runs up to the garage rafters and comes straight down where the edge of the hood is, so no wires to trip over.

That brand is pretty widely recognized as the best and classic car owners use them pretty much exclusively. As was mentioned: they will safely maintain the battery forever, unlike some tricklers. The little cheaper motorcycle unit works fine on cars if you are willing to wait a little longer for it to bring up the full charge.

My battery on my Magnum is still the original. August 2004 build date.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the same setup. Mounted a battery tender on the back wall of the garage. Have a 2 wire connection hardwired to the battery with a 10 foot lead. Unplug and go. I can see the lights on the battery tender when I walk up to the car and see it's fully charged and it reminds me to unplug it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got a BatteryMinder Plus which is supposed to charge, maintain and even condition (desulphate) the battery. I desperately want to hook this up but was stopped when I saw the instructions which direct you to connect one of the clamps to the chassis or engine block. Is everyone else doing this? With our battery in the trunk, is there an obvious spot to use?

The remote jump posts under the hood sound like a great idea. Is anyone using those for a trickel charger and, if so, are you connecting both to the posts or are you connecting one to the chassis/engine block?

·
Registered
2013 Black SRT8
148 Posts
Please Help

i have the same question. did anyone hook up their neg lead on the trickle charger to the frame or a bolt, etc. Can you be specific to where exactly you hooked up the leads?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I thought about getting one of these, but decided to take the risk. My car has been sitting in a garage (detached from the house) since November 29th. I fired it up last night without a hint of weakness in the battery. It started better than the car I have been driving all winter does every morning.

I honestly don't see how a car battery can die that fast, epecially in say a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have the same question. did anyone hook up their neg lead on the trickle charger to the frame or a bolt, etc. Can you be specific to where exactly you hooked up the leads?
Bump. Anyone? Those of you with a trickle charger hooked up; regardless of direct to battery/remote jump posts; did you hook both POS & NEG direct to posts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
my battery tender has a lead that is pluged into the hot spot in the console, the cigarette lighter. has been on all winter and no problems. tender light is in the green indicating the battery is fully charged. have started the car several times to check and works like a charm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts