Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sits outside covered for the winter. Is it possible to hook up a trickle charger underneath the hood or does it need to be attached directly to the battery in the trunk?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
4 Posts
I attached a trickle charger to the posts under the hood for one winter and it seemed to work fine. I think to the battery would be the preferred method and you can get the trunk shut if your extension cord is not too big.

Reactions: mvale

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
776 Posts
I attached a trickle charger to the posts under the hood for one winter and it seemed to work fine. I think to the battery would be the preferred method and you can get the trunk shut if your extension cord is not too big.
Am I old fashioned in that closing the trunk tight with the battery being charged is not a good idea...Let it breathe a little...fumes if any are not good...

..but then the little trickle chargers don't put out much current...So probably no Kaboom...

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Battery is vented to outside via a vent tube so fumes are not an issue. Alternator charges your battery going down the road so it's the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
My trickle Charger is hooked up under the hood, I could hook it up via the "Cigarette lighter" too as it has a connector for that too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'd have to use 100ft heavy duty cord so closing the trunk would not work. Running the cord up through the engine bay would be ideal.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
776 Posts
Battery is vented to outside via a vent tube so fumes are not an issue. Alternator charges your battery going down the road so it's the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I learn something every day...Thanks Slidd

·
Super Moderator
14,214 Posts
That is what I do. It works fine.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
With no real winter here in Georgia there is no real need to trickle charge but when I know I wont be driving if for a while I have a neat little setup I made a long while back. The way my garage sits the sun hits the side closest to the rear of the car so what I did was mount a 2'X4' solar panel outside and ran a cord into the garage. I made a little deal with connectors to the battery and ran the main connector so it will hang about 2" when I run it down through the hole in the floor (I keep it tucked inside and a rubber plug in the hole when not used). So when I want, I open the trunk and push the connector out and connect it to the connector from the solar convertor and it trickle charges for free. Maybe silly a bit but I do use it on a few different things like rechargeable batteries etc. as well.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I’ve ran a Battery Tender on mine for 2 winters now.
No problems.
I swear by Battery Tender. I have 2 Sportsters, a lawn tractor, an emergency generator and my Challenger on them as I type... there's a green glow in the garage at night. :) It's great knowing that when the cover comes off, the vehicle WILL start.

Paul

Reactions: mvale

·
Registered
315 Posts
I swear by Battery Tender. I have 2 Sportsters, a lawn tractor, an emergency generator and my Challenger on them as I type... there's a green glow in the garage at night. :) It's great knowing that when the cover comes off, the vehicle WILL start.

Paul
Isn't it though?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Challenger has been sitting safely in a warehouse since Hurricane Michael hit. I've been searching for the best trickle charger I can find and have read many articles stating "Best for 2019" etc.

Problem is, all these websites post up their top picks but when you read consumer reviews the difference of opinion differs greatly.

For those who have to store their rides for extended periods, which trickle chargers have you found to be the most reliable?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
776 Posts

Paul

I have 2 Battery Tenders ...The 3 AMP ones...One for a Jag that sits a lot and for my '71 Chevelle...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts