Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had plans to order a 2015 SRT392. Have a salesman at the local dealership whom I love dealing with, bought 4 or 5 cars from him in the past. He's an older guy, very genuine and honest (retired from a previous career, so he doesn't have that shark mentality.) Honestly, I could just hang out and talk to him all day.

We input an order - SRT392 with auto, Nav and moonroof. MSRP was 49,200. We had not even discussed price or trade. We printed out the order summary, and then he asked for my keys. Now, I've done my homework, and know what I would like for a trade, and what I would like to pay for the new car, so I gave him the keys and waited.

Sales manager takes my car for a spin, then goes into his cubicle to run numbers. Gives them to my guy, who shows me - Trade was fair to me, would have liked another $1,000-$1,500, but I was okay with it. But, they only offered MSRP for the new car. I politely counteroffered at -1 % invoice. He said there was no way that dealership would go under invoice. I then told him to ask for invoice, and maybe I could even go a little higher than invoice. From my homework, invoice should have been 46,615, and I'm willing to pay another $500.

Now, here is where the problems started. First of all, I understand that 2 parties may not agree on a price in a situation like that. I respect that they want to sell a car, and regardless of what I feel of an offer, I will be polite and respectful. As I've said, I love the salesman, and have bought many cars here. But, when I overheard the sales manager talk about me, I asked for my keys back, and walked out. He was actually yelling at the salesman - "he (me) should consider himself lucky we offered that much for a trade" . . . "If he thinks he's gonna sell that car himself, he's going to have to sell it for a lot more to make up for the taxes (yeah, I've bought enough cars to know how that works)" . . . "he thinks he's gonna get invoice? $1,000 over invoice is a great deal and he should be happy with that" . . . It went on to the point that I was embarrassed for the salesman.

As I said, as soon as he came back, I asked for my keys, and apologized that I couldn't make a commitment for the deal. I told him I overheard the sales manager, and that I didn't like the condescending tone he used about me. I told him I was polite in my offer, and I expect the same in return. I said "all he had to do was say 'no' '" . . . But, most importantly, I said, I will never do business with a dealership who wants to tell me how lucky I am to be spending 50 grand . . .

No car is worth being treated like that . . .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed and screw em. There are a hundred other dealerships that would love your business and will treat you with respect.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about your experience man, that stinks.

If it makes you feel any better, they offered you a better deal than what I'm going to pay for my 392.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I also had a bad experience the first time I tried to drive a Challenger in 2010. The only SRT my dealer had was a B5 automatic. The salesman goes inside to get the keys and takes forever. I walk inside and see the sales manager talking to the salesman as they both look at me. Eventually, the salesman comes back and says that another gentleman just made an offer on the car, but he won't take it if I drive it; so I can't drive it.

The salesman was visibly embarrassed. I told him to go back inside to tell his manager he can shove his Challenger up his ***.

A couple of weeks later, I go back to the dealer to service my Jeep, and the B5 was still sitting there. I walk to the salesman to ask him what happened. He says "we couldn't make the numbers work." I just said, "Oh, really? What a pity!"

In hindsight, I am glad I waited until they added the 392 and adaptive suspension...

Be patient and you will get the car at the price you want.

Not like Dodge is going to stop making them.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I'd go tell the general manager what an ass his sales manager is and they lost a repeat customer UNLESS he agrees to invoice. They NEED your money more than you want their car.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
It's a very old sales tactic. I'm surprised they still use it. I've seen it first hand more times than I care to remember but here's how it works: The sales manager knew you could hear him reading out the "nice sales guy" for allowing your expectations be "too high," and that was the idea. It's a gamble and a way for them to see how much of a dope you are. They were hoping you'd start screaming yourself to the point of embarrassment because you heard what he said to the nice sales guy about you and then there would be a big back and forth, you yelling, sales manager yelling, and then suddenly everybody would kiss and make up and make a deal that benefits the dealership, not you, because you had, you know...just embarrassed yourself. The sales manager will not be embarrassed in the least because this is what he does. I know this because I spent several years in a previous life working at dealerships (not in sales thankfully!).

The sales manager obviously read you wrong. Good on you for not playing their stoopid game.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed and screw em. There are a hundred other dealerships that would love your business and will treat you with respect.
You misspelled "extremely small handful".

Reactions: STLMopar

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Join this group for $100, ( or see if you can join any other affiliate program) and then 30 days later they HAVE to sell it for you for 1% under invoice. Read up on it. Tread Lightly – Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program and https://www.chrysleraffiliates.com/JSP/indexLayout.jsp

"
Members at the $100+ level are eligible to receive Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice) on the purchase or lease of most new Chrysler, Jeep®, Ram, Dodge, SRT and FIAT vehicles.
Visit chrysleraffiliates.com or call 888-444-4321 to obtain your Control Number. You’ll need the Tread Lightly! Company Code, which is included in the Tread Lightly! membership letter you will receive via USPS upon first becoming a member. Take your Control Number, along with your enclosed welcome letter to any U.S. Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealership."

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd go tell the general manager what an ass his sales manager is and they lost a repeat customer UNLESS he agrees to invoice. They NEED your money more than you want their car.
That's what I would do. Tell him in detail what went down. I've done this before and the GM took care of the issue, put me with another SM, apologized and finalized the deal that I was comfortable with. Most GM's dont want that kind of image for their dealership either. Even aggresive GM's usually see this as a image killer. Now, you may not get the exact numbers you're looking for but they will treat you with more respect.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When I purchased my Yellow Jacket I got the feeling they didn't think I had enough money to buy it! lol Went in to the show room where it was and looked it over kicked the tires and so on! and no one would come over and talk to me about it. I would leave and week or so later I would go back and it would be the same thing. So I priced it on there on line site, And got a decent price! Printed it off and went back to the dealer. Same thing nobody was going to attend to me. lol So I picked a salesmen and handed him the paper and he ran it in to the sales manager and the fight started lol I could not hear what was said but I could tell he was not happy! The salesmen came out and said that they would honor the price but they would need to check my credit score first!. I told him that would not be necessary! and wrote him a check! He looked shocked and carried it in to the salesmanager who turned and looked at me like" I'll be damned" LOL salesmen are crooks! But it is fun to play them for what they are!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Thanks to RWL11's advice, I did join Tread Lightly with a $100 donation. I also sent an email to the salesman letting him know how I felt about the sales manager's comments . . . . Sure enough, as expected, the salesman called me today to apologize. He said that he's been dealing with condescending sales managers for years, and this is very typical, and that while it's part of the business, he doesn't approve of it himself. He then asked if I would give them another chance to do business. I told him that I joined Tread Lightly, and would expect Affiliate pricing. He immediately gave me a quote over the phone of -1% invoice. So, that was acceptable to me. But, then I told him that because of how I was treated, I wanted to shop my trade in around to other dealerships, and that I would get back to them if I couldn't get a better offer. I also reminded him that every dealership has to give me the Affiliate price, so I only needed to find a little better trade offer. I said if they were to negotiate my trade some more, I would come in this minute and order. He said it was unlikely the sales manager wouldn't budge. I said, thanks for your time, but I'll try the other dealerships, even if it's just for $500.

I'm ready to start shopping around Monday, but I guarantee they will call back with a better trade offer . . . My trade is where they make the profit, and I know they don't want to lose me . . . We'll see what happens . . .

·
Registered
386 Posts
I told him that would not be necessary! and wrote him a check! He looked shocked and carried it in to the salesmanager who turned and looked at me like" I'll be damned" LOL salesmen are crooks! But it is fun to play them for what they are!
My experience.....dealers don't really want cash, they usually make money on the financing. You would think cash is king but not so much.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Update: Thanks to RWL11's advice, I did join Tread Lightly with a $100 donation. I also sent an email to the salesman letting him know how I felt about the sales manager's comments . . . . Sure enough, as expected, the salesman called me today to apologize. He said that he's been dealing with condescending sales managers for years, and this is very typical, and that while it's part of the business, he doesn't approve of it himself. He then asked if I would give them another chance to do business. I told him that I joined Tread Lightly, and would expect Affiliate pricing. He immediately gave me a quote over the phone of -1% invoice. So, that was acceptable to me. But, then I told him that because of how I was treated, I wanted to shop my trade in around to other dealerships, and that I would get back to them if I couldn't get a better offer. I also reminded him that every dealership has to give me the Affiliate price, so I only needed to find a little better trade offer. I said if they were to negotiate my trade some more, I would come in this minute and order. He said it was unlikely the sales manager wouldn't budge. I said, thanks for your time, but I'll try the other dealerships, even if it's just for $500.

I'm ready to start shopping around Monday, but I guarantee they will call back with a better trade offer . . . My trade is where they make the profit, and I know they don't want to lose me . . . We'll see what happens . . .
I wish you were in my area I'd treat you the way your supposed to be treated my GM touches every deal we do and if your ordering that's a sold unit and dealership doesn't have to carry the car it's actually the way I prefer to do the Challengers it makes the entire experience so much better. The best part is seeing your name built for xxxxx xxxxxxxx :5:

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
I think you handled yourself perfectly. Makes them looked like idiots, it's just hard for me to stay cool especially if I had purchased several vehicles.

I had good experience with my order for they gave me %1 below invoice with no affiliate.

I haven't had a car payment in over 12 years yet I trade on average my car and my wife's car once per year (it's drugs to me). I don't dress up or nothing but drive nice vehicles and when they start pushing their financing I tell them no thanks and hand the title to them of the one I'm trading in. They look shocked

Hold your ground and keep handling yourself the way you are, don't stoop to their level.

You will love the SRT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts