Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that with the first generation Challengers, specifically the 1970, there are minor trim differences, such as:

1. Turn Signal / Parking Lights: the housing on some is the body color, and some have a chrome or silver trim
2. Dashboard: some have plain black around the gauge cluster, and some have the plastic "wood" dash panel

Are these differences attributed the the optional SE Package?

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
On the '70:

Dash IP trim:

Base cluster is a large speedo on left, and four smaller pods to right (fuel, temp, alt, blank) - this usually has a grained black plastic finish.
I've occasionally seen some base clusters with woodgrain, but its not typical.

Rallye cluster: std on R/T, optional on all other trim levels (coupe, A66 Coupe, T/A) - this has four equal sized pods (speedo, tach, guages(alt, oil, fuel, coolant), clock). This cluster has the wood grain applique'.

The rear valance:
*R/T models with std. tail stripe have this in blackout (can be deleted)
*otherwise its body color surround
*SE models have an Argent (silver) color applique' above the tail lamp cluster. This would over-ride the R/T tail stripe blackout if an R/T - SE was ordered.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

My error - for the parking/turn signals, I meant the front ones - under the bumper.

On the '70:

Dash IP trim:

Base cluster is a large speedo on left, and four smaller pods to right (fuel, temp, alt, blank) - this usually has a grained black plastic finish.
I've occasionally seen some base clusters with woodgrain, but its not typical.

Rallye cluster: std on R/T, optional on all other trim levels (coupe, A66 Coupe, T/A) - this has four equal sized pods (speedo, tach, guages(alt, oil, fuel, coolant), clock). This cluster has the wood grain applique'.

The rear valance:
*R/T models with std. tail stripe have this in blackout (can be deleted)
*otherwise its body color surround
*SE models have an Argent (silver) color applique' above the tail lamp cluster. This would over-ride the R/T tail stripe blackout if an R/T - SE was ordered.

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
The turn signal housings should be silver color.

The NOS and repro parts are also finished that way as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the turn signals/parking lights located in the front valance, below the bumper, correct colors are as follows:

1. Lenses: almost always amber, though a few were produced with clear, colorless lenses

2. Trim paint on lenses: argent silver (non-textured). The same color as used on rallye wheels. Krylon dull aluminum is a close match, or you can get the Chrysler paint in a spray can from the dealer or your repro vendor of choice

3. Housings: the housings were originally finished in zinc dichromate (the yellow-greenish plating). Over time the plating degrades and it appears to be natural potmetal. If I can access some of my stash I'll post up a few pictures.

For the instrument cluster, there are 2 main types to be concerned with:

1. Rallye dash - which has 150mph speedometer, tach, clock, oil/fuel/alt/temp gauges in 4, equal sized pods. Standard on Challenger R/T models, optional on all others. All rallye clusters came with the fake woodgrain finish (silk screened onto a metal backing)

2. Standard dash - 120mph speedo (large) and 4 smaller gauge pods - fuel, temp, alt and blank. The trim is usually a black wrinkle finish, but there was a version made with a fake woodgrain facing. That was standard in Gran Coupe Barracudas, Western Sport Special Challengers and was optional for others. Most original Challenger SEs that I've seen with standard dash had just the black facings.

So a Challenger SE could have either style of instruments, but a Challenger R/T SE would have only the rallye dash.

Some '70 Challengers, typically early production cars, came through with a heavily ribbed version of the standard dash which also included different gauge facings and pointers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2. Standard dash - 120mph speedo (large) and 4 smaller gauge pods - fuel, temp, alt and blank. The trim is usually a black wrinkle finish, but there was a version made with a fake woodgrain facing. That was standard in Gran Coupe Barracudas, Western Sport Special Challengers and was optional for others. Most original Challenger SEs that I've seen with standard dash had just the black facings.

So a Challenger SE could have either style of instruments, but a Challenger R/T SE would have only the rallye dash.

Some '70 Challengers, typically early production cars, came through with a heavily ribbed version of the standard dash which also included different gauge facings and pointers.

The woodgrain was also standard on the SE's with the standard dash cluster. As you stated, the R/T-SE's were standard with the rallye dash and all had woodgrain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts